Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Because fashion designers do not agree with all modern trends, I assumed their response would be like posters within this forum, Random.

Beauty, fashion, and taste are all personal, There is no single watch design that will appeal to everyone, that is why there are thousands of different watch designs around the globe.

dburges

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2004
It. Is. Waterproof.

It. Is. NOT. It's water "resistant", and Apple recommends not even taking a shower with it. That's a far cry from a typical watch in that price range that is water resistant to 50 meters or more.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
This is a case where I think thinner may actually be better. They look too thick and bulky. It may be best to wait for revision 2 for them to get it thinner.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Not for me, not yet.

I'll look again when I can button my shirt cuff over it.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Well, you know those nice straps aren't going to be included with the $349 watch. You'll just get the cheap rubber one for that price (IF you're lucky).

I'll go in as saying that all the straps will probably be priced the same. Granted that might be as much as $50, but I'll bet the only watches that come with those brightly colored straps will be the sport line. The regular watches will probably come with the others.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Still Too Many Questions For Me

Battery?
How well does it function without the iPhone link?
Price points for past the base line?

OH AND DID I MENTION BATTERY?

It better have 16+ hrs of battery. I can work with charging at night but only after it has proven itself in hard use from an early morning to a late night. No watch should have to be checked for battery in one day's use.

Buuuut, just like many Apple products, I have more faith than less that they will do it right. :)

I also think "Apple Watch" does not flow as well as "iWatch". no big deal, just a preference. Maybe they were avoiding some weird Big Brother feel...

Like...

iWatch you sleep...

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
That's a far cry from a typical watch in that price range that is water resistant to 50 meters or more.

Water resistance is in no way correlated to price. It is in fact the other way around. The cheaper the watch the higher the chance it is water resistant.

The most likely reason why the apple watch is not waterproof is due to the fact that it has speakers, a microphone and a touchscreen.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I just want to find out a few questions. Pricing,charging times,battery life,can you buy separate magnetic charging cables? Do these plug into your current lightning cable and then to the magnetic charging thing? How early is "early" 2015? How much are the bands?

To early as they could possibly be still working on improvements. I think when they announce a launch day they will give some more details about it.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I don't like when people go around saying "I was right" but in this case,I was right :D lol

I only am doing this because 98% of the time I'm wrong. Lol
bd11a496cbdf61cc22002d7130e8e35a.jpg
4df1d6f6c428f654d8bc5f8a8b527e22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
If I ever see a picture of Anna Wintour wearing one I will then know she has definitely sold herself out. Kim Kardashian on the cover of Vogue was the first sign.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I will wait it out for a few generations. I don't see the point in carrying around two devices while running and this thing doesn't even have it's own GPS chip.

If the plastic one is already $349. I don't even want to see the price of the stainless steal and sapphire glass one

JilzVT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
"not as cool as a mechanical watch, to real people."

That says it all right there. Very cool piece of technology but there are still very few people ready to WEAR technology.

Zmmin3

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
If this came with a giant flying robot that I could control with the watch, I would be all over this. ;)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Hodinkee's review is really thorough and, sadly, confirmed to me that I won't be springing for the Apple Watch. The iPhone tether is the biggest hurdle. But interestingly, when Clymer asked the Apple rep about that, the rep couldn't answer definitively. So just possibly, Apple will use the next few months to refine their concept a bit further. If the watch can be used apart from the iPhone, then I'll be far more interested.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Fail... Doesn't even fit under a shirt cuff. Explains why Cook had to come back out and roll up his sleeves.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I just want to find out a few questions. Pricing,charging times,battery life,can you buy separate magnetic charging cables? Do these plug into your current lightning cable and then to the magnetic charging thing? How early is "early" 2015? How much are the bands?

Hopefully not as iTunes Radio available in Canada in "early 2014"...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I will wait it out for a few generations. I don't see the point in carrying around two devices while running and this thing doesn't even have it's own GPS chip.

If the plastic one is already $349. I don't even want to see the price of the stainless steal and sapphire glass one

I still have to watch the keynote, so I did not know $349 only bought you a plastic watch.

That's no go from the start.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
This is refreshing to see since so many people were so negative about it yesterday. Offline, however, many people I spoke to were positive. Personally, I think it looks good.

This is just ridiculous. Fashion experts having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they're "in bed" with Apple. Many people I've talked to offline like the look of it.

About 95% negative reviews here on styling will change to 95% "beautiful" due to the mindf**k that is about to blitz the "popular culture" (selling propaganda experts masters of manipulating all of us - I fall to it too especially regarding automobiles). But at least I'm a little bit aware of what's going on. It's fascinating to watch.

WTF is a "fashion expert" ROTFLMAO!!! Is there a school for that? State licensing!?!

jpiett

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Canada
when i saw the first iPhone, it looked like something from the future. When i saw the apple watch yesterday, it looked like something from last year..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.