Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
With the 6+, I'm thinking of going with SquareTrade or AppleCare Plus. Any idea on what is better? Any other options?

I've used ST before and they were FAST.

casmith07

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
USA
It was $8/month to add full coverage from my carrier, so I went with that.

Might go with AppleCare+ as well. Usually get 30 days to purchase, correct?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Never had any insurance on any of my iPhones and I have had them from the very first! The money I have saved will buy several new iPhones so I think I am ahead.

After seeing some of the threads here, I do understand why many want insurance!

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I have always had AppleCare + as I like the ability to go straight into the Apple Store and have my phone fixed if there is an issue (clicking screen on my 5s yesterday for instance) where with Square Trade it could take up to 5 days (they have a 5 day guarantee). So for a phone I would much rather have the Apple Store where I could get it replaced immediately. I don't like the carrier insurance either because I don't trust them when they have to bring your phone back to look at it. I'd rather have the Apple guys do that. :) Just my opinion. For computers and iPads I think Square trade is great, but for something like my phone I don't want to not have it.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have always had AppleCare + as I like the ability to go straight into the Apple Store and have my phone fixed if there is an issue (clicking screen on my 5s yesterday for instance) where with Square Trade it could take up to 5 days (they have a 5 day guarantee). So for a phone I would much rather have the Apple Store where I could get it replaced immediately. I don't like the carrier insurance either because I don't trust them when they have to bring your phone back to look at it. I'd rather have the Apple guys do that. :) Just my opinion. For computers and iPads I think Square trade is great, but for something like my phone I don't want to not have it.

AppleCare is great. I usually get it from an authorized Apple repair store. They sell it. No Apple store near me. The only downside is if it breaks, I either have to drive 200 miles to the nearest Apple store or send it to Apple. I guess the authorized repair store could fix a broken screen too.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I usually dont get insurance since its like betting that you will break it. However if i was getting the 128gb 6 Plus which would cost what $1000 to replace, i'd probably pay the $99 for insurance.

trophynuts

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Historically I have done carrier insurance. I'm stopping that with this recent Iphone purchase and going with Applecare+

The carrier insurance is too expensive for my needs and inconvenient. I'm lucky that I have an Apple store ten minutes from my house. With Tmo carrier ins on the two Iphones I bought would be roughly 20$ a month. I got applecare+ on both for 198$. Just my thoughts.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I went with AC+. I typically do not, but since this phone was $949 I figured I may as well spring the extra $100 to cover it in case I drop it etc.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
My AMEX is my insurance.
I didn't see any point buying AC+ as I have never ever needed it before.

iSlanderous

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Pay for the coverage you need. My iPhone 5 was stolen or drunkenly lost by me. If I have insurance on it from AT&T I could have gotten a new one for $200. I did not have it at the time. Now I pay for insurance from AT&T 6.99 a month. $200 deductible. goes down to 150 after 6 months no incident. Down to 99 after 12 months no incidents. For me it was simply. I want a plan that covers THEFT!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
My AMEX is my insurance.
I didn't see any point buying AC+ as I have never ever needed it before.

AMEX only covers accidental/theft for 90 days from the date of your order, not the date you receive it FYI. It does however extend the manufacturers warranty for another year, if you dropped it you'd be screwed though since it doesn't cover accidental for anything over 90 days.

While I paid for mine with my AMEX I'll get Applecare + for cheap piece of mind.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
AMEX only covers accidental/theft for 90 days from the date of your order, not the date you receive it FYI. It does however extend the manufacturers warranty for another year, if you dropped it you'd be screwed though since it doesn't cover accidental for anything over 90 days.

While I paid for mine with my AMEX I'll get Applecare + for cheap piece of mind.

You're completely right, but I think Amex does not add an extra year on top of AC+. I never dropped or lost any phone in the past 17 years, so hopefully it won't happen now :)

I may pick up AC+ if i decide to go naked w/ the 6+...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I always get AC+ for my iPhones, this time was no exception.

I've never had to use it for accidental damage thankfully, but it's nice piece of mind.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

This even though I have the benefits through AMEX too I wanted longer than 90 days for accidental.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I have had Square Trade on my iP4 and iP5. They have been great to deal with and will use them again for my iP6.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Squaretrade for 3 year plan with accidental damage.
That's what I'm getting. Only $30 more for the extra year.

You can bring phone to apple store for repair/replace and squaretrade pays you what you paid apple very fast.

Also, I think you can get as many claims as needed up to the value of the phone, which would probably be 3-4 times. Applecare allows 2.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Squaretrade for 3 year plan with accidental damage.
That's what I'm getting. Only $30 more for the extra year.

You can bring phone to apple store for repair/replace and squaretrade pays you what you paid apple very fast.

Also, I think you can get as many claims as needed up to the value of the phone, which would probably be 3-4 times. Applecare allows 2.

Yep. This is the biggest advantage to me. Also, if you don't have an apple store in your area they overnight you a replacement phone free of shipping.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Pay for the coverage you need. My iPhone 5 was stolen or drunkenly lost by me. If I have insurance on it from AT&T I could have gotten a new one for $200. I did not have it at the time. Now I pay for insurance from AT&T 6.99 a month. $200 deductible. goes down to 150 after 6 months no incident. Down to 99 after 12 months no incidents. For me it was simply. I want a plan that covers THEFT!

Thank you for explaining how the deductible lowers over time, never knew that. Though, when I bought the 5s at att on launch, they quoted me $10 a month, which has been what I'm paying. I now see the insurance premium has always been $6.99, but been charged a separate $3 fee for extra protection not really needed :( They never offered the 6.99 only price, even when I hesitated.

Does the good standing lower deductible carry over with a phone upgrade, or does it reset to $199?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I haven't done apple care in the past. I will this time... The plus is too big for a protective case... Might as well use it as it was designed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're completely right, but I think Amex does not add an extra year on top of AC+. I never dropped or lost any phone in the past 17 years, so hopefully it won't happen now :)

I may pick up AC+ if i decide to go naked w/ the 6+...

They also only give you the charged amount back also. So if you buy on contract you are SOL.

You might say "Well then I'll take the phone back to Apple and get an out of warranty replacement and use Amex refund to cover most of it".

But that won't work because Amex wants the phone after they pay you for it. They send you a pre paid shipping package.

Its great coverage but just not that great for a smartphone bought on contract IMO. The 90 purchase protection is nice though, my Amex covers lost items too with the purchase protection (Blue, Cash cards don't).

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
After a big honking otter box on my 5s I think I'll be a nudist with my 6. (So to speak). This means I'll need apple care since I'm not super gentle.

zonkie

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
With the 6+, I'm thinking of going with SquareTrade or AppleCare Plus. Any idea on what is better? Any other options?

I've used ST before and they were FAST.

I used square trade for the iPhone 5. I paid $89 for 2 years. Aside from a few drops scuffing the chamfered edge, and the power button defect, my iPhone just had a $1 bumper and a zagg shield on front and back.

I requested a replacement last month for water damage and because two years ago I didn't say what color my phone was, one wasn't shipped next day. They refunded my $50 and two days later I got a flawless phone with new ear buds and usb charger. Sometimes your phone wont be in stock and they have to wait for something to send you.

The replacement iPhone drops wifi occasionally in my house more than my old phone and the battery is new and is warm like when the phone was new 2 years ago. But knowing it came from a contracted 3rd party refurbisher is a detractor for me.
I am doing apple care this time around because I know if I need a replacement it will be apple refurbished. I've bough refurbished items from the apple store and they are always top notch and as good as new.

----------

It was $8/month to add full coverage from my carrier, so I went with that.

Might go with AppleCare+ as well. Usually get 30 days to purchase, correct?

24 months x 8=$192 + deductible?
24 moths apple care $99, deductible $79

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.