Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
For AppleCare, when does the $79 service fee come in to play?

Is it everytime you come in for a repair? Or does it depend on the severity of the damage (and repair)? I've read posts where people pay no fee, and others who do.

The $79 fee is for if it is something that would be considered outside the normal warranty. You won't pay it if it is a defect in the hardware, but you will pay it if you shattered your screen or submerged it in water.

I normally do not get these type plans but paying 100 bucks for the peace of mind on my 950 dollar purchase seemed like a no brainer. I also like the convenience of just being able to set a genius bar appointment if I need to have it replaced rather than deal with shipping.

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
It was $8/month to add full coverage from my carrier, so I went with that.

Might go with AppleCare+ as well. Usually get 30 days to purchase, correct?

The carrier insurance is a joke pay them $200 over the life of the contract for what cost $99 at Apple and it's better coverage. The deductible at Apple is only $50 for accidental damage and zero for standard issues. My had carrier insurance on a iPhone once and it cost me $200 to replace the phone when I dropped it. Needless to say I canceled the insurance.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
The carrier insurance is a joke pay them $200 over the life of the contract for what cost $99 at Apple and it's better coverage. The deductible at Apple is only $50 for accidental damage and zero for standard issues. My had carrier insurance on a iPhone once and it cost me $200 to replace the phone when I dropped it. Needless to say I canceled the insurance.

The advantage to carrier insurance (and the reason the deductible is so high) is that it covers lost/stolen phones.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
For me, Apple Care+, haven't used it yet, but I always prefer to go with the manufacturer's warranty. AT&T gets way too much of my money as it is.

And if I sell the iPhone before the AC+ is up, just call for a pro-rated refund. This time it was $37.04.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
None. The cost to repair a screen is only $110. You'd need to pay for three before insurance would be worthwhile . Liquid damage costs more ~$300, but I'm less likely to do that.

As for theft, my homeowners insurance covers that already for much cheaper.

Have you guys ever done the math on what you're paying? Also, statistically if you never buy extended warranties on any consumer product, you'd be better off in the end if you used the savings to repair or replace only the things that broke.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Thank you for explaining how the deductible lowers over time, never knew that. Though, when I bought the 5s at att on launch, they quoted me $10 a month, which has been what I'm paying. I now see the insurance premium has always been $6.99, but been charged a separate $3 fee for extra protection not really needed :( They never offered the 6.99 only price, even when I hesitated.

Does the good standing lower deductible carry over with a phone upgrade, or does it reset to $199?

I believe it carries over. They instituted the policy August 1, 2014. I had to use it last week to replace a family member's Galaxy Note 2 and was charged $99. They replaced it with a Note 3 shipped overnight.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
As for theft, my homeowners insurance covers that already for much cheaper.

Have you guys ever done the math on what you're paying?

Do the math on losing your homeowner's coverage over multiple claims. A $1,000 isn't worth the mark on your record.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I don't understand payout limits.

An iPhone 6/64 has a full retail price of $750. If I send one swimming it would cost me $750 to replace, $1,500 if I do it twice. Will AppleCare give me 2 replacements? Will SquareTrade actually give me 4? There must be maximums - they assume most claims aren't replacements - cracked screen, bad home button etc.

I seem to recall seeing SquareTrade pays a maximum of the cost of the phone, which would mean one replacement but nothing beyond that. So if there's a $100 repair in year one followed by a water-damage replacement in year two, the reimbursement would be for the value less $100. Yes?

I am really sorry how poorly this is written but I suspect you get the idea.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Do the math on losing your homeowner's coverage over multiple claims. A $1,000 isn't worth the mark on your record.

My insurance has an add-on rider for computers and phones that doesn't count as a claim for premium purposes and that has a much lower deductible. Actually many types of claims don't count against you. Most people just assume they do.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
AppleCare is great. I usually get it from an authorized Apple repair store. They sell it. No Apple store near me. The only downside is if it breaks, I either have to drive 200 miles to the nearest Apple store or send it to Apple. I guess the authorized repair store could fix a broken screen too.

You don't have to drive or be without a phone until you get your replacement. I'm actually in the same situation as you. I live about 2 hours from the nearest apple store and what I've done in the past with Applecare is do an express iPhone replacement. Next time you have issues with your phone, call apple and ask about it! The way it works is Apple sends you a replacement phone overnight, and after you get it you have 10 days to send back the old phone. So you spend 0 days without a phone and you don't have to drive for 2 hours :)

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You don't have to drive or be without a phone until you get your replacement. I'm actually in the same situation as you. I live about 2 hours from the nearest apple store and what I've done in the past with Applecare is do an express iPhone replacement. Next time you have issues with your phone, call apple and ask about it! The way it works is Apple sends you a replacement phone overnight, and after you get it you have 10 days to send back the old phone. So you spend 0 days without a phone and you don't have to drive for 2 hours :)

Technically you would be without a phone for the rest of that day, and through the next day until it arrives which could be as late as 6 pm.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Technically you would be without a phone for the rest of that day, and through the next day until it arrives which could be as late as 6 pm.

Only if your phone is completely dead and won't power on! If it's just a cracked screen or buttons not working properly you can still use it! Getting a phone overnight while you have your own is better than having to mail yours, wait until they get it, and then wait until you get the replacement they mailed to you.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I like Applecare +. I love about 5 minutes from an Apple store so it is easy to go there and have it looked at.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
My insurance has an add-on rider for computers and phones that doesn't count as a claim for premium purposes and that has a much lower deductible. Actually many types of claims don't count against you. Most people just assume they do.

Never considered a rider - thanks! I'll call Amica.

As for losing insurance it can be risk in some situations. A friend lost his homeowner's insurance after a legitimate roof damage claim. They paid for the repairs and then dropped him. The reason? He had filed a claim two years earlier for damage that wasn't covered but he didn't know it at the time. 2 claims, one of them paid, in 3 years and he was dropped for excessive incidents.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Never considered a rider - thanks! I'll call Amica.

As for losing insurance it can be risk in some situations. A friend lost his homeowner's insurance after a legitimate roof damage claim. They paid for the repairs and then dropped him. The reason? He had filed a claim two years earlier for damage that wasn't covered but he didn't know it at the time. 2 claims, one of them paid, in 3 years and he was dropped for excessive incidents.

Agreed it happens. One of the reasons I stay with usaa. They didn't even raise my car insurance after my car was a total loss and I lost the liability determination in arbitration and on appeal because they disagreed with the result.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
That is correct. Plus if you're always getting a new iphone every year, you can cancel the plan online and they refund you. With AppleCare+, you can cancel but you have to phone in and that could take a while to get a hold of someone especially during iphone launches.

I set up my new phone yesterday with AC+, had to wait on hold about 5 minutes. lf I'd had an old contract I could have cancelled it and got the balance applied to the new one on the same phone call (less a 10% fee, so $5 for a one year prorate).

They send you the test for your phone in a text as was said somewhere here and then the contract and terms an hour or so later. Much easier than going to an Apple store when you can't order online as many of us couldn't on 9/12. ☺

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
The $79 fee is for if it is something that would be considered outside the normal warranty. You won't pay it if it is a defect in the hardware, but you will pay it if you shattered your screen or submerged it in water.

I normally do not get these type plans but paying 100 bucks for the peace of mind on my 950 dollar purchase seemed like a no brainer. I also like the convenience of just being able to set a genius bar appointment if I need to have it replaced rather than deal with shipping.

Thanks. So in essence, within the first year if it's faulty hardware (broken mic, bad battery, etc...) this would be covered for free under STANDARD warranty that every iPhone comes with. Extended to 2 years with AppleCare +

If it's damage caused by you (dropped screen) then it's subject to a $79 fee..up to 2 times. Within 2 years. Which is NOT covered obviously (by standard warranty)

atomickevin

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm on the Verizon Edge program, so went with their insurance. $200 deductible is high but covers lost/stolen. I'll upgrade my phone after a year (main benefit of Edge) so I'll be covered by Apple's standard warranty for the entire time I have the phone.

Just makes sense for me to have "full coverage" since I need to trade-in the phone when I upgrade.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Considering Securranty @ $89 no deductible. Resellerratings looks decent, but not many reviews of users actually putting through a claim. I've never gotten a warranty and always use my phones naked. I have dropped them a couple times over the years but no damage. But I'm rethinking it this time around with the bigger size and how slippery the 6 actual is. Screen replacements starting at $109 make AC+ less attractive except for the peace of mind of other hardware failures.

Last edited:

jamesollor

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
United States
AppleCare Plus is good, i dont heard much about squadplus. Check out the best plans and the premium details of it and as per your budget and thoughts choose the best one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.