Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Samsung ads are about as bad as they come. The snowboarding ad for the Gear was atrocious.

Having said that, they do make a bit of a point here. Apple was all opposed to large screens before, and we're supposed to forget that. Providing a 4.7 and 5.5 inch device is simply adhering to what the market already clearly likes.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Samsung ads are about as bad as they come. The snowboarding ad for the Gear was atrocious.

Having said that, they do make a bit of a point here. Apple was all opposed to large screens before, and we're supposed to forget that. Providing a 4.7 and 5.5 inch device is simply adhering to what the market already clearly likes.

Companies like people change their minds especially if it benefits them financially. You folks act like when you make a decision, you have to stick with it until you are bankrupt or dead. This strange behavior some how earns brownie points with you? I like folks that are intelligent enough to change when they need too. One day, some of you will grow up. Not soon enough though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I thought it was a good video spot. They are out to highlight their product and they did a good job of it.
It is funny how many Samsung haters complained about how unuseable the Note line of phones were supposed to be. Now Apple has a phone that is a little larger and its fine now.....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, they weren't wrong with any of it. I personally just don't find mudslinging type commercials very effective or persuasive. Felt the same way for the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials. That type of approach never resonates with me, regardless of who's doing it. Just seems like pandering.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, they weren't wrong with any of it. I personally just don't find mudslinging type commercials very effective or persuasive. Felt the same way for the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials. That type of approach never resonates with me, regardless of who's doing it. Just seems like pandering.
Those commercials were just plain funny! :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very nice, spot on. The note series was what spurred Apple into the present. After making that point they go on to describe why the Note series is better.

Cue the complaining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth of how evil Samsung is for making this commercial. I swear I love these commercials just so I can see the crying.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Companies like people change their minds especially if it benefits them financially. You folks act like when you make a decision, you have to stick with it until you are bankrupt or dead. This strange behavior some how earns brownie points with you? I like folks that are intelligent enough to change when they need too. One day, some of you will grow up. Not soon enough though.

This

... And if anyone should be getting brownie points, wasn't Dell who released the 1st phablet?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

More like Apple changed many minds. If a 5.5 iPhone wasn't announced, how many iFans would say the Note 3 & 4 is too big? Pretty sure a ton would say that, just as they did last year.

And Samsung has a right to called out the tech bloggers, cause they called the big screen phones absolutely unusable, too inconvenient, and etc. That's a bit more than just preference.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think it's the fact apple and some apple fans bashed Samsung for bringing out these big phones that's why. Changing your mind is fine but mocking somebody then doing it yourself is a bit different

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
This

... And if anyone should be getting brownie points, wasn't Dell who released the 1st phablet?
However, you can't deny it was Samsung that made phablets success!
Just like Apple was not the one released a first smartphone.

I think it's the fact apple and some apple fans bashed Samsung for bringing out these big phones that's why. Changing your mind is fine but mocking somebody then doing it yourself is a bit different
Exactly!

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Changing your mind is fine but mocking somebody then doing it yourself is a bit different

Apple has a habit of doing this though - not just the fans, but the actual company itself.

Everything that other phones have that are not available on the iPhone yet is 'not needed' or 'just a gimmick'. When the same core functionality is available on iPhone a year or two down the line it is suddenly 'innovative', 'amazing' and 'game-changing' - or simply 'done right'. Yep, cut-n-paste 'done right' is sure a sight to behold, I still don't understand why it is so much better than cut-n-paste on other devices. But it is. Because Apple said so.

I always get a kick out of how people change their minds about something based on the official Apple attitiude towards that thing. Large screen phones is a prime example that The Cult of Mac is not dead yet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Apple has a habit of doing this though - not just the fans, but the actual company itself.

Everything that other phones have that are not available on the iPhone yet is 'not needed' or 'just a gimmick'. When the same core functionality is available on iPhone a year or two down the line it is suddenly 'innovative', 'amazing' and 'game-changing'.

I always get a kick out of how people change their minds about something based on the official Apple attitiude towards that thing. Large screen phones is a prime example that The Cult of Mac is not dead yet.
Indeed, it's almost like they brainwash the people who buy the products to their way of thinking. I'm glad they are looking forward they knew they needed to enter the world other phones have been in for a number of years.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

Read my other posts. I'm about as critical of Apple as they come. I literally just made a post declaring that I have no brand loyalty at all.

I'm currently cross-shopping the new iPhone, Z3 compact (Android), and Nokia 830 (Windows Phone 8.1). Maybe even a new Nexus if it comes around.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They actually didn't say anything that wasn't true, and they are right to play on that, it's good marketing.

I still think the Note is the best phablet - and it amazes me that even with the old Newton in its archive, Apple have failed to embrace both a stylus and dedicated/different phablet experiences (rotating screen is harldly embracing IMHO).

No doubt likely saving stylus support for the iPhone 6S+

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

my sentiment as well.

I think lots of people think apple is just an arrogant and shameless hypocrite.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They actually didn't say anything that wasn't true, and they are right to play on that, it's good marketing.

I still think the Note is the best phablet - and it amazes me that even with the old Newton in its archive, Apple have failed to embrace both a stylus and dedicated/different phablet experiences (rotating screen is harldly embracing IMHO).

I certainly didn't expect Apple to get the phablet right in their first attempt and they clearly didn't. It's just a bigger iphone 6. No real phablet additions at all. Still a very good device of course but just an oversized phone than a real phablet.

Still they have certainly made good improvements.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I certainly didn't expect Apple to get the phablet right in their first attempt and they clearly didn't. It's just a bigger iphone 6. No real phablet additions at all. Still a very good device of course but just an oversized phone than a real phablet.

No doubt the fans will tell us that Apple always do it right as they have been trying to tell us over the last few days.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I thought it was a good video spot. They are out to highlight their product and they did a good job of it.
It is funny how many Samsung haters complained about how unuseable the Note line of phones were supposed to be. Now Apple has a phone that is a little larger and its fine now.....

I do agree, as I did before. I'm just not a fan of their attack ads. It may be accurate, but it feels like a political ad. It just doesn't leave a good feeling.

There's also a theory that those on top don't need to attack those below.

gomagicgo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Samsung should sue Apple for copying the larger screen. Hey, Apple likes to sue for rounded corners so why not.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Why do I continue to torture myself and visit this forum during a new Apple or android flagship phone release?

The childish hateful comments regarding phones is hilarious and mind numbing all at the same time.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

No doubt likely saving stylus support for the iPhone 6S+

First off, please don't take this post as a defense for Apple's iPhone 6+ as a phablet--not my intention.

But why is everybody ragging on Apple for not having a stylus in their largest phone? First, I don't recall anyone at Apple ever calling it a phablet. It's a damn big phone for sure. Second, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the easiest basis of comparison for phones is their display sizes, rather than their total size considering that's the element of the phone where everything happens. To build on that point, at what point is a device considered a 'phablet'? I think most start at 5.5", correct?

So how many other 'phablets' in the market include a stylus:

No Stylus:
iPhone 6+ - 5.5"
HTC One Max - 5.9"
LG G Pro 2 - 5.9"
LG G3 - 5.5"
LG G Flex - 6"
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6.0"
Nokia Lumia 1320 - 6.0"
OnePlus One - 5.5"
Samsung Galaxy Mega - 5.8" or 6.3"
Huawei Ascend models - 6.1"
Oppo Find 7 - 5.5"

I'm sure there are others but these are the one's that came to mind.

Have a Stylus:
Samsung Note series (3, 4, Edge) - 5.7"
LG G3 Stylus - 5.7"
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - 6.4" (doesn't include stylus but supports it's use)

My point is that there really are only a couple phones in the market that have a stylus and really only one mainstream device that includes it. So yes, the Note offers unique functionality that nobody else does in their phone--certainly can be applauded for it. And in a comparison with Apple's 'phablet', it offers quite a lot of functionality the iPhone doesn't have (multiscreen and S-Pen being the most substantial IMO). But categorically dismissing the iPhone as a true 'phablet' because of it's lack of stylus is not a valid argument, considering basically none of the other phablets in the market have one either. By those standards, there would only be one or two true phablets.

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
So having big screen is copying now? Why doesn't Samsung make fun of Sony or Panasoinc or LG for copying 80" 4K tv? Samsung at its lowest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.