Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Link

I

While I agree with you, Samsung has mastered the art. No other company really stands out as blatant copy cats quite like Samsung. Sony? LG, HTC? Nope.....
What about multi window, one handed mode, circle case to name but a few things LG liberated from Samsung.

----------

Take a look and the Galaxy Lock Screens now. They straight up lifted that from Apple's iOS. So when you joke about someone walking in and confusing a device for an iPhone, Samsung is actually trying to cause that type of confusion.

Seriously, Samsung is known for copying other companies left and right. They aren't innovative and aren't known for quality. We have an American company at home in the USA that's known to be innovative and for bringing quality devices and you guys hating on them? They help our economy and everything else. It's ridiculous. You guys cheering Putin on too?

See I notice this all the time, what does that fact that Apple are American really have to do with anything. Is that why Americans are so pro Apple because they want to support another American company. I've also seen some refer to Samsung as Korean Junk. To me I care about which company offers me the best technology, not what nationality they. That seems a tad racist to me.

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Note didn't do so well and was considered extremely niche. I don't know what happened between the time of the Note and the Note 2 that made the Note 2 do so well, but the Note 2 was like a well designed reincarnation of the dead on arrival Note.

The original note sold about 10 million which was still more than any non samsung flagship at that time.

----------

Expect a lot of Galaxy Note 4's to get dusty this year now that people can get what is essentially a tablet version of iOS on the 6+.

Samsung is not doing as well this year as in previous years, and that trend will get worse once the iPhone 6/6+ drops, and then you have the latest and greatest from HTC, LG, and Sony to deal with.

And all the other android flagships still sell peanuts in comparison to Samsung's flagships.

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
It's long been said that people don't want a bigger phone. They want a bigger iPhone.

The iPhone 6 reveal and pre-order already broke the internet twice. I'm willing to bet the actual sell date will be a complete zoo.

When is the last time you saw that response for a Samsung device? Pretty much never, only it now has to contend with 2 iPhones instead of one.

Apple has had the single best selling smartphone basically since iPhone 1. Now Apple will probably have the best selling 1 and 2 selling smartphones. That business will not just be 5S converts.

lol @ breaking the internet, dont you mean broke apples crappy servers??

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's long been said that people don't want a bigger phone. They want a bigger iPhone.

The iPhone 6 reveal and pre-order already broke the internet twice. I'm willing to bet the actual sell date will be a complete zoo.

When is the last time you saw that response for a Samsung device? Pretty much never, only it now has to contend with 2 iPhones instead of one.

Apple has had the single best selling smartphone basically since iPhone 1. Now Apple will probably have the best selling 1 and 2 selling smartphones. That business will not just be 5S converts.

The genie is out of the bottle, Apple are not gong to turn the clock back just because they have released a bigger phone. People have moved on. It's only in the USA where Apple have a really strong position. In other countries Android is more domainant and will continue to be so. Look at Spain for example, android has about 90% of the market share. Do you think everyone is going to run back to Apple just because they have released a bigger phone. People now have choice and they will continue to exercise it. The reason why Apple were so dominant was because there was nothing else, now other companies have caught up to and surpassed them and in the process offer people a viable alternative.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Apple trolls in the courtroom.

Samsung trolls in ads.

Already a big difference between them. Who's copying who now?

The Samsung GNotes have always been a great product line. First time I saw the first gen back in 2011, I knew Samsung was onto something BIG. Adding an S-Pen made it better than 2010's Dell Streak. Now phablets are becoming the standard. Samsung just had more foresight and was more forward-thinking than Apple was back in 2011. But Apple was too busy trying to sue Samsung in anyway. They generally stopped innovating after 2010. This is just Samsung's time to say, "I told ya so!"

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Agreed. The U.S market (with regard to Apple) is distorted. If I look at my extended family there is not a single Apple phone in use across 20+ people. Couple of ipads but that's it.

I doubt very much that if any of them were thinking of upgrading, that they would even think about Apple. They are all happy, or appear to be, with their Android phones of all shapes and sizes. Apple will get a lot of upgrades from existing Apple users, especially in the U.S. They may even get new customers from Android who moved there because they wanted a bigger phone and Apple couldn't provide, but to seriously think that hordes of Android users will immediately flock to Apple is just silly.

The market has moved on and I suspect even bigger changes in the next 2 years (price points) . It will be interesting.

On the Note 4 - The only reason I would get one is because of the S-pen. To me that's the key benefit of getting something of the size of the N4 and without the s-pen I have no use for such a large device. That also means that a large Iphone or indeed any other phablet is ruled out. Of course other people have different needs and YMMV.

The genie is out of the bottle, Apple are not gong to turn the clock back just because they have released a bigger phone. People have moved on. It's only in the USA where Apple have a really strong position. In other countries Android is more domainant and will continue to be so. Look at Spain for example, android has about 90% of the market share. Do you think everyone is going to run back to Apple just because they have released a bigger phone. People now have choice and they will continue to exercise it. The reason why Apple were so dominant was because there was nothing else, now other companies have caught up to and surpassed them and in the process offer people a viable alternative.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The genie is out of the bottle, Apple are not gong to turn the clock back just because they have released a bigger phone. People have moved on.....People now have choice and they will continue to exercise it. The reason why Apple were so dominant was because there was nothing else, now other companies have caught up to and surpassed them and in the process offer people a viable alternative.

Another reason is Apple had a great showing early on and educated a lot of people. Even many in my family had iPhones to begin with, but have since graduated to a smart phone that allows so much more than the limited experience Apple offers.

They have a solid product and OS for what it is, but IMO they have really failed to evolve both into what they really could be. I'd absolutely have an iPhone if it could do or allow me to do many of the things my Note does. I'm confident I'm not alone. I can't tell you how many times my wife and son ask me, "how do I do that on the iPhone?"

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

This is nothing new Apple always have huge sell numbers. In. The US it is for one always Alot higher than anywhere else. That will never change. Even with crap upgrades it will sell millions. Certainly doesn't mean the note 4 won't sell. Note will still be popular for a certain type of user like it always is and the features it has and the s pen will keep Alot of users.

We know the iPhone 6 will sell huge but I don't see how all the success Samsung have had people will be blinded by what apple are selling.

I can't see hardly any Note users leaving for the iPhone 6+. They have no reason to.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Samsung's new Note 4 commercial

Lol. This is pathetic. This is around 6 or 7 Samsung videos about the iPhone 6. Truth or not, that's a bit overkill. They're obsessed with Apple! It's borderline weird. You will never see Apple talk about Samsung in their videos. It's always about what the iPhone can do.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Another reason is Apple had a great showing early on and educated a lot of people. Even many in my family had iPhones to begin with, but have since graduated to a smart phone that allows so much more than the limited experience Apple offers.

They have a solid product and OS for what it is, but IMO they have really failed to evolve both into what they really could be. I'd absolutely have an iPhone if it could do or allow me to do many of the things my Note does. I'm confident I'm not alone. I can't tell you how many times my wife and son ask me, "how do I do that on the iPhone?"

The iPhone isn't even that intutive anymore. Maybe it's because I've been using Android as my daily driver for so long now and my ios devices have always been secondary (tablet, ipod touch).

I stand by what I said earlier about Apple not regaining all their customers who jumped ship. I've just purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab pro 10.1 (yay) . The girl who served me said that when her contract was up she would be getting a Samsung phone becuase they are amazing. She said that she currently uses an iPhone which thinks ok but nothing special and doesn't think that they are worth the money. People are opening their eyes to the fact that there are other options out there. Apple will always have their loyal followers and for some there is still a certain amount of qudos attached to owining an iPhone. However Apple will not have things their own way anymore.

----------

Lol. This is pathetic. This is around 6 or 7 Samsung videos about the iPhone 6. Truth or not, that's a bit overkill. They're obsessed with Apple! It's borderline weird.

Just like Apple were Obsessed with PC's.

Samsung make adverts where they only focus on their own products. It's a bit of fun nothing more. My favourite advert to date is the Nokia one at the school play were the Samsung and Apple fans get into a fight whilst the Nokia owners sit calmly back and snap away.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Lol. This is pathetic. This is around 6 or 7 Samsung videos about the iPhone 6. Truth or not, that's a bit overkill. They're obsessed with Apple! It's borderline weird. You will never see Apple talk about Samsung in their videos. It's always about what the iPhone can do.

The commercials themselves are ironic and filled with irony. It's not about obsession or talking about Apple, it's about the fact that people have now come to expect Samsung to poke fun at Apple to the point of absurdity. Ever since the "next big thing" commercial with mom and dad getting in line, the hilarity has grown. It is about the overkill.

----------

TIt's a bit of fun nothing more.

^^ winner winner chicken dinner.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Hahaha. Would have tried a note again, but not now with this stupid commercial. Samsung: How did your phones look before iPhone? And how big was their screen then? You can thank Apple for your billion dollar spinoff business.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Interesting thing is about 5 people at work have upgrades available and they are all waiting on the Note line. They aren't interested in iPhone anyway. Certainly in my work place I see a lot more Samsung than apple. Even got a few who are more interested in going HTC than the new iPhone.

So yes apple will sell huge numbers for their new phones but clearly Alot on Android wouldn't leave due to what they would be missing by going iPhone.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The iPhone isn't even that intutive anymore. Maybe it's because I've been using Android as my daily driver for so long now and my ios devices have always been secondary (tablet, ipod touch).

I stand by what I said earlier about Apple not regaining all their customers who jumped ship. I've just purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab pro 10.1 (yay) . The girl who served me said that when her contract was up she would be getting a Samsung phone becuase they are amazing. She said that she currently uses an iPhone which thinks ok but nothing special and doesn't think that they are worth the money. People are opening their eyes to the fact that there are other options out there. Apple will always have their loyal followers and for some there is still a certain amount of qudos attached to owining an iPhone. However Apple will not have things their own way anymore.

----------

Just like Apple were Obsessed with PC's. They make adverts where they only focus on their own products. It's a bit of fun nothing more. My favourite advert to date is the Nokia one at the school play were the Samsung and Apple fans get into a fight whilst the Nokia owners sit calmly back and snap away.

Oh please! They were clearly going back and forth with each other. Samsung is picking a fight with Apple and has gotten ignored for years. Let's be honest: Samsung is terrified that Apple has a bigger screen iPhone. You're foolish if you think this won't eat into the Note sales. The Note can have all the functionality in the world but one thing they don't have is a huge loyal following. The average joe doesn't care about specs, only nerds do.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Oh please! They were clearly going back and forth with each other. Samsung is picking a fight with Apple and has gotten ignored for years. Let's be honest: Samsung is terrified that Apple has a bigger screen iPhone. You're foolish if you think this won't eat into the Note sales. The Note can have all the functionality in the world but one thing they don't have is a huge loyal following. The average joe doesn't care about specs, only nerds do.

Do you really think that Apple are going to turn back the clock? Just because they released a bigger phone.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Samsung is terrified that Apple has a bigger screen iPhone. You're foolish if you think this won't eat into the Note sales. The Note can have all the functionality in the world but one thing they don't have is a huge loyal following. The average joe doesn't care about specs, only nerds do.

The new iP6+ isn't going to eat into Note sales. People who buy the Note series don't simply care about a big screen. Besides, once they see the iP6+ offers little to no comparison in the features, that you call specs, then why would they go with an iPhone?

You're right, the buyers of an iPhone don't care about the functionality and that's the irony in your post. Even Apple knows that thus why they didn't really increase said functionality. Shoppers for Android and specifically the Note ARE looking for true functionality. It doesn't take creating a large iPhone to see that.

All the iPhone 6+ offers is just a bigger bulge in your pocket, nothing else. At least with a Note/Android, you get a heck of a lot more, and less phone peaking out the top of your pants. ;)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The new iP6+ isn't going to eat into Note sales. People who buy the Note series don't simply care about a big screen. Besides, once they see the iP6+ offers little to no comparison in the features, that you call specs, then why would they go with an iPhone?

You're right, the buyers of an iPhone don't care about the functionality and that's the irony in your post. Even Apple knows that thus why they didn't really increase said functionality. Shoppers for Android and specifically the Note ARE looking for true functionality. It doesn't take creating a large iPhone to see that.

All the iPhone 6+ offers is just a bigger bulge in your pocket, nothing else. At least with a Note/Android, you get a heck of a lot more, and less phone peaking out the top of your pants. ;)

People who want a big screen and don't care about features or specs will buy a galaxy mega over the note.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Do you really think that Apple are going to turn back the clock? Just because they released a bigger phone.

A lot of Android people were waiting on a bigger iPhone. Heck, most probably converted to Android because they got tired of waiting on it. It's clear as day that the Note has better specs, and Android has more functionality this iOS but it's the experience that makes people want iOS. It ties into their whole ecosystem. Personally, I like how all my devices tie in together. It just makes sense.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Features matter a lot to Note users and what it does. The S pen is a huge tool with Alot of useful multitasking features that Alot of people love. I fail to see it will eat into note sales.

I left apple to get a larger screen but now I'm on the note I just couldn't leave. Too much would be missed that the new iPhone still doesn't come close to matching.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

You fail to realize ONE huge thing: 2014 is a hardware year and 2015 is a software year. Give Apple time to supposedly "copy" Android. It isn't Apple's fault, Android has added everything under the sun to their OS.

How about you hold both devices in your hand before making that statement. The 6+ is barely taller than the N4, on top of that it's a hell of a lot thinner and lighter.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
A lot of Android people were waiting on a bigger iPhone. Heck, most probably converted to Android because they got tired of waiting on it. It's clear as day that the Note has better specs, and Android has more functionality this iOS but it's the experience that makes people want iOS. It ties into their whole ecosystem. Personally, I like how all my devices tie in together. It just makes sense.

Android has a good ecosystem. We have virtually the same content, unless you are after specific apps which are exclusive to the app store. The average Joe wants to play angry birds and watch a movie. He can do all of this on Android. He can get an android phone, tablet and chromecast. He's not missing out on anything.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
See I notice this all the time, what does that fact that Apple are American really have to do with anything. Is that why Americans are so pro Apple because they want to support another American company. I've also seen some refer to Samsung as Korean Junk. To me I care about which company offers me the best technology, not what nationality they. That seems a tad racist to me.

I don't know where you got the "Korean Junk" comment from and throwing out the word racist is a bit strange at least in regards to my comment. I think patriotism is more appropriate. Just like in the Olympics, folks typically are rooting for their country and shouldn't be deemed a racist for it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Features matter a lot to Note users and what it does. The S pen is a huge tool with Alot of useful multitasking features that Alot of people love. I fail to see it will eat into note sales.

Well, if you fail to see it, then why is Samsung constantly making videos about the iPhone 6? If they KNOW it isn't going to affect their Note sales, why are they making 6/7 videos about it?We get it, the Note has more features than the iPhone 6. I don't see why Samsung has to push it down our throats.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well, if you fail to see it, then why is Samsung constantly making videos about the iPhone 6? If they KNOW it isn't going to affect their Note sales, why are they making 6/7 videos about it?We get it, the Note has more features than the iPhone 6. I don't see why Samsung has to push it down our throats.
They always make ads, it's nothing new. I fail to see it having anything to do with Samsung thinking they are losing note customers.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Samsung's new Note 4 commercial

Android has a good ecosystem. We have virtually the same content, unless you are after specific apps which are exclusive to the app store. The average Joe wants to play angry birds and watch a movie. He can do all of this on Android. He can get an android phone, tablet and chromecast. He's not missing out on anything.

Nothing against the Android ecosystem but one major grip I have with it is consistency. I still don't understand the Android's app situation. I'm hoping with Android L, that every app submitted to their store HAS to follow material guidelines. Google needs to tighten up. At least they said no to Android Wear having skins. Now, that's a great thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.