Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Hi.

I was on GSMArena today looking at the specs of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The site went into full detail of the specifications of the new handsets and I noticed something interesting- the RAM.

The site stated the iPhone 6 had 1GB of RAM- the same as rumours had previously suggested.

3190306c12.png

However, under the same section in the iPhone 6 Plus specs, the site showed 2GB of RAM.

8f01ddb9f5.png

I thought this was quite interesting as previous rumours pointed to the 5.5" iPhone 6 having a slightly better processor than the 4.7" iPhone 6. Does anyone know the credibility of these sources?

The iPhone 6 page: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php
The iPhone 6 Plus page: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Yep, other sites listing those specs too. No idea where they're all pulling the data from though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
We really don't know, I suppose until people start getting the IP6+ in their hands its all conjecture at this point.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Or it could be the Plus uses the same version of the A8 as will be in the updated iPads. Makes sense - it has a similar resolution etc

Nope. Apple has never built two versions of the same SoC.

The iPad version has a higher clock rate because it can handle the battery demands and the increased heat. More RAM requires a different SoC.

PS: Meaning that both iPhones could have 2GB RAM, but they will have the same amount regardless.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011

The iPad version has a higher clock rate because it can handle the battery demands and the increased heat. More RAM requires a different SoC.

PS: Meaning that both iPhones could have 2GB RAM, but they will have the same amount regardless.

I really hope that is true. I went to geekbench's website and could not find any iphone 6 data there yet~

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Gsmarena:
Employer: "****! What do we fill in for ram about the new iphones?"
Boss: "just fill in what you think is right and edit later if nessacary."

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom

Hmm. I'd hope for a higher clock rate on the Plus. Honestly, I doubt the credibility of the leaked Geekbench 3 test. I'd be really nice if the iPhone 6/6 Plus had a processor clocked at 2.0GHz or above.

I guess we'll find out on Friday.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008

You should really do your research first.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A7

Besides, just because something hasn't happened (even though it has) before doesn't mean it won't in the future

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012

The A8 is the SoC. It doesn't have built-in memory. The memory is on a module with the A8 SoC. The 6 and 6+ could use the same module, to reduce costs, but this is by no means a technical requirement.

The next version of the iPad Air, which will also feature the A8, reportedly has 2GB memory.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The RAM is on the SoC. It's not a separate module ...
No, it's not.

Apple is now using chip on board mounting, which puts the DRAM immediately adjacent to the SoC on a module. Both are covered by a single head spreader, so it appears to be a single chip, but it is not.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
See my link above. Again you are wrong, at least partially. The A7 in the iPad Air has separate memory

Quote:
"It is manufactured in a package on package (PoP) together with 1 GB of LPDDR3 DRAM with a 64-bit wide memory interface onto the package.[6][24]"

This PoP packaging is done during manufacturing, it is done inside the chip.
You are right that the SoC is above the circuit board and the RAM is "below".

But it's all done inside the chip itself. It's all one chip, one package.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Quote:
"It is manufactured in a package on package (PoP) together with 1 GB of LPDDR3 DRAM with a 64-bit wide memory interface onto the package.[6][24]"

This PoP packaging is done during manufacturing, it is done inside the chip.
You are right that the SoC is above the circuit board and the RAM is "below".

But it's all done inside the chip itself. It's all one chip, one package.

You're reading the wrong bit. See here:

"Apple uses the APL5698 variant of the A7 chip in the iPad Air. Its die is identical in size and layout to that of the first A7 and is manufactured by Samsung.[25] However, unlike the first version of the A7, the A7 used in the iPad Air is not a package-on-package (PoP), having no stacked RAM. Instead it uses a chip-on-board mounting, immediately adjacent DRAM, and is covered by a metallic heat spreader, similar to the Apple A5X and A6X.[25][26]"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.