Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 8 to the public, making the download available to all users who have an iPhone 4s or later, iPad 2 or later, 5th-generation iPod touch, or iPad mini. The update can be downloaded via iTunes or through an over-the-air update accessible by going to the Settings app and tapping General ---> Software Update.

While iOS 8 is currently available for download, it may take a few minutes for the update to propagate to all users due to demand. In past years, Apple's servers have been overwhelmed with traffic.

iOS 8 includes the same general design elements introduced with iOS 7, but introduces several under-the-hood improvements. Improved integration between Apple devices, both mobile and desktop, is a major focal point of iOS 8, with Apple introducing several new "Continuity" features designed to connect the iPhone, iPad, and Mac "like never before." This video walks through the major new features:

The operating system also includes interactive notifications, app widgets in the Notification Center, and Messages improvements that let users manage group conversations for the first time.

Third-party access to both the keyboard and Touch ID has been enabled, and Apple has implemented its own keyboard improvements, in the form of its QuickType predictive keyboard. A new Health app is included with iOS 8, aggregating health and fitness data from a variety of apps and devices, and a new Family Sharing feature lets families of up to six people share apps, music, books, and more.

Our iOS 8 roundup has a complete rundown of all of the major new features introduced in iOS 8, and our separate features roundup showcases all of the smaller changes and additions made to the operating system throughout the beta testing period.

In addition to being released to the public today, iOS 8 will also come pre-installed on the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, which will be available beginning on Friday, September 19.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8 With Continuity, Third Party Access to Keyboards/Touch ID, Family Sharing, and 'Health' App

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great, I've been looking forward to this, hopefully it will run fine on my 5c

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Wait, I thought HealthKit was delayed... wouldn't that cause them to delay iOS 8?

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I knocked over an old woman as I was running home to get on my wifi network, so I could download iOS 8.

My only regret is not getting home sooner.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
At first could not download as it said it needed 4.6GB to install and I only had 4.3GB free.

WOW. 4.6GB? I had to delete some stuff.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I also received a carrier update, when I was in the about and system update section.

I'm on AT&T, iOS8 GM released to devs.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
phew that was a close call i just randomly decided to restore my iPhone as new about 20 mins ago and didnt want to loose the possibility to jailbreak again ^^

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Introducing iOS 8. Featuring last minute Health-kit problems.

Apple = doomed. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.