Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanzoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I received my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB spacegray at about 3pm on Friday and set it up, but haven't worn it out that day, so it wasn't in my pocket.

Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left FRONT pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2am and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again :rolleyes:), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted. Now I lay it flat with the display side on the table, take a look.

Maybe at 5.5" it is too thin?

Attachments

• bent_iphone.jpg
    bent_iphone.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 74,366
Last edited:

Neil22

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
Bent-gate!

I say bring it back to the Apple store and see what they can do.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
THIS! I test this in a front pocket sitting down and I could swear it was bending. You felt the pressure points on the ends. Clearly if I got the plus I'd never be able to sit at a table with it. This is bringing back the holster.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
A friend of mine and several others had similar problems with the 5s after a while. They were all told, that they were not supposed to keep the iPhone in their pockets. Hilarious, but true.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
You guys must wear some tight pants because I had it in my pocket all last night for dinner and I didn't even feel it. I have the leather case on it.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
wow this is crazy. Also one of the main reasons I usually keep my iPhone facedown on the table when i sit.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Do you people really think you can put these in your pants pocket and not bend
it? C'mon a little common sense, Please!

I'm sure Apple will get the blame and be asked to replace it......amazing.....*face palm*

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Reminds me when credit card size calculators came out and people were snapping them in half.

Your phone will wind up looking like your wallet, just give it time

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2014
A friend of mine and several others had similar problems with the 5s after a while. They were all told, that they were not supposed to keep the iPhone in their pockets. Hilarious, but true.
Yeap, it's true.
I keep my phone in my jacket pocket and it's fine.
My GF keeps her phones in the back pants pocket. The 5/5s is made out of thin aluminium and bends in a few days. :D

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I received my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB spacegray at about 3pm on Friday and set it up, but haven't worn it out that day, so it wasn't in my pocket.

Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left front pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2m and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again :rolleyes:), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted. Now I lay it flat with the display side on the table, take a look.

Maybe at 5.5" it is too thin?

I don't feel that it's too thin. It's aluminum, it's a noticeably longer device and as such it is likely to be bent more easily than previous iPhones. You should expect that it would be easier to bend and act accordingly. I'm guessing that the dancing did it ir sitting down in just the "right" way that stressed the phone towards the middle. I would definitely try to exchange it but I'm guessing that Apple's stance would be maybe a courtesy replacement but none after that for bending.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Rather bizarrely my weekend was similar to the OP's, however I attended a 50th wedding anniversary. My 6 Plus has been in the front pocket of loose-fit jeans, suit trousers and chinos for around the same length of time. My phone isn't bent, but I have the apple leather case. I was about to post a "2 days with the plus" thread to say that the bigger size in real life usage didn't cause me any trouble at all.Lived in my pockets with no issues or discomfort. Could use it drunk for texting/emailing/facebook no problem.

hanzoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
The pants are not tight, as they are suit pants, they give in and are not as rigid as a tight jeans. I did not feel the phone while sitting down, if I had felt any pressure, I would have taken it out.

I have had every iPhone except for the 3GS, and this has never been an issue. I never use a case and when I sell them after year they are always in great condition.

Of course I will return it, I just wanted to check if anyone else has the same issue.

soundxplorer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not surprised, I think this will be a common problem with the 6. A long, thin piece of aluminum in your pocket all day? Yes, eventually it will get bent.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Would be hilarious if they are all like this and it's "by design" to compensate for the protruding camera so the phone sits flat on its back ;)

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I had a 5 that was bent after two or three months (or at least, that's when I noticed) and Apple replaced it for me.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
The pants are not tight, as they are suit pants, they give in and are not as rigid as a tight jeans. I did not feel the phone while sitting down, if I had felt any pressure, I would have taken it out.

I have had every iPhone except for the 3GS, and this has never been an issue. I never use a case and when I sell them after year they are always in great condition.

Of course I will return it, I just wanted to check if anyone else has the same issue.

You didn't ask that question in your post. The only thing you asked is if it's too thin at 5.5 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.