Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I have had my 6, since launch day and I could not be happier. I came from an Android LG G2; the downgrade in screen size is irrelevant; as I had the option of the 6+. I stuck to the more economical of the two. How are you all enjoying your new device?

DrFaust

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2010
I upgraded from a 16 GB 4S to a 64 GB 6 and I love it. Perfect size. And I can finally have a lot of music on my phone without having to be choosy

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I got the 6.

The larger screen is absolutely fantastic in apps that have been updated to take advantage of it. Older apps that haven't been updated are zoomed and don't look right (images and text are too large). More apps are being updated every day to take advantage of the larger screen (I.e., more text and images).

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I have a 6 Plus. I should've went with the 6. I'm exchanging for a 6 on Monday. I'm 6'2" male.

jargon51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
6+ 64gb Space Grey and I F'in love this device. Came from a 5 and have been wanting a larger device...now I have it:D

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I have 6. I don't keep my phone around usually, but I like it enough to keep it in my pocket even when I'm home. An awesome phone that looks so tight! :apple:

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Loving my 6. Didn't realise I wanted a larger screen but prefer the bigger size now and couldn't go back already. Got hands on with a 6+ yesterday which confirmed my thoughts that it would be too big for my liking but I can see why it appeals to some. Both are great handsets.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
6 plus from a 5. Holy screen batman it's so nice! Battery is pretty amazing as well, despite being in it a lot bc the new phone smell hasn't worn off yet. I can't believe I used the small 5 for so long.

First day I had the plus I thought it was crazy big, I'm getting use to get the and have come to love the size and it fits in most of my pockets just fine. I did look at the 6 in Apple today and I have to say it's a pretty good size for a phone, I'm still on the fence if I want to switch to the more manageable size. If only it had the same battery life as the plus there would be no question, I'd go with the 6.

Got an apple leather case and a squaretrade warranty so I'm not that worried about it. The leather case is really nice, adds just the right amount of grip without being too tacky like a lot of silicone ones. Also kind of bummed lifeproof isn't coming out with a Fré case for the plus, only the nuud which u didn't care for on my 5

And I know this phone is suppose to be blazing fast which it is, but I compared it to my 5 And that was about the same speed as my plus.

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
I had the 6+ and swapped to a 6. The Plus did not slide in and out of the pocket easily and was very hard to operate with one hand.

However, with experience on both, this is the best phone experience ever.

I came from a 5. Never went in for the incremental. Had 3g then 4, then 5 and now 6.

Can't wait for the 7 :D:D

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I have the 6 and the 6+. Only set up and used the Plus so far as I decided straight away that I really liked it. No complaints so far, it's a little awkward for one handed use but nothing I can't work around/get used to.
Best things for me are the extra screen space, excellent camera and much improved battery life.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Bought 6+ yesterday. Underwhelmed, too big for me as well. Going to use the 4.7" I was originally going to return I bought on the 12th. Really prefer the one-handed use.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Overall, I'm pleased with my choice of the 6 Plus. The screen of the phone is fantastic, and it feels good in the hand. I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone, but I have big hands, and I don't wear tight clothes so it's fine in my pocket.

My thoughts are below.

While the phone feels, looks, and performs fantastic, I'm disappointed with iOS 8. I've been using Android for the last 6 months, and while iOS 8 is an improvement over 7, it feels quite boring in comparison to Android. The home screen is the same, boring jumble of icons that it has always been. The widget implementation in the "Today" screen is a joke, in my opinion. I am really missing the ability to open the phone and instantly see a summary of my meetings and tasks for the day, and the ability to hide apps that are often unused but are necessary to have installed in the App Drawer. Sure, I can unlock the phone and then pull down the today screen but it just isn't the same. Being able to swipe up and have Google Now provide flight cards, weather, upcoming TV shows I watch, and other suggestions was awesome; it also would let me know in the notification center if there was an alert for anything that I had reminders set for, and how long it would currently take to drive to work or home. Apple should seriously look into some sort of similar system, and provide a better widget setup. Sure, not everyone wants widgets. Some say they're pointless. I find them incredibly useful after using them for months, and it would be nice to have the option to use them on the main screens; if you don't want to use them - just don't.

However, Android Apps don't feel as polished as the ones for iOS. Granted, the current iOS apps all look like hell since they're not optimized for the 6 or 6 Plus, but that will change. The lock screen notifications on iOS are far superior. The pull down notification center in iOS is horrible in comparison.

There will always be a group of fanboys that bash the competition. I work in IT, and I try to see the best in all platforms. Every piece of hardware and OS has positives and negatives. I think Apple has started to open up a bit more and I'm encouraged by that. I just think they need to take that a bit further and allow additional customization of the OS. Until you've used Android, don't bash it. I don't mean "I used a friends phone for a few minutes and OMG it sucked compared to Apple" - I mean, really try and use it for a few months. It continues to grow and improve with every release. The 6 Plus was enough to bring me back, as well as a few other folks I know. Who knows what hardware will be released on the "dark side" 6 months from now, though. Maybe I will stay, maybe I'll switch back. Who knows. :cool: Right now, I just can't get over how nice the 6 Plus looks and feels :apple:

tldr; Love the phone. Dislike the OS.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
I love my Space Grey 64gb iPhone 6! I have been using the hell out of it and the battery life is great. Baring everything I love about it, the screen alone was worth the upgrade.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Overall, I'm pleased with my choice of the 6 Plus. The screen of the phone is fantastic, and it feels good in the hand. I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone, but I have big hands, and I don't wear tight clothes so it's fine in my pocket.

My thoughts are below.

While the phone feels, looks, and performs fantastic, I'm disappointed with iOS 8. I've been using Android for the last 6 months, and while iOS 8 is an improvement over 7, it feels quite boring in comparison to Android. The home screen is the same, boring jumble of icons that it has always been. The widget implementation in the "Today" screen is a joke, in my opinion. I am really missing the ability to open the phone and instantly see a summary of my meetings and tasks for the day, and the ability to hide apps that are often unused but are necessary to have installed in the App Drawer. Sure, I can unlock the phone and then pull down the today screen but it just isn't the same. Being able to swipe up and have Google Now provide flight cards, weather, upcoming TV shows I watch, and other suggestions was awesome; it also would let me know in the notification center if there was an alert for anything that I had reminders set for, and how long it would currently take to drive to work or home. Apple should seriously look into some sort of similar system, and provide a better widget setup. Sure, not everyone wants widgets. Some say they're pointless. I find them incredibly useful after using them for months, and it would be nice to have the option to use them on the main screens; if you don't want to use them - just don't.

However, Android Apps don't feel as polished as the ones for iOS. Granted, the current iOS apps all look like hell since they're not optimized for the 6 or 6 Plus, but that will change. The lock screen notifications on iOS are far superior. The pull down notification center in iOS is horrible in comparison.

There will always be a group of fanboys that bash the competition. I work in IT, and I try to see the best in all platforms. Every piece of hardware and OS has positives and negatives. I think Apple has started to open up a bit more and I'm encouraged by that. I just think they need to take that a bit further and allow additional customization of the OS. Until you've used Android, don't bash it. I don't mean "I used a friends phone for a few minutes and OMG it sucked compared to Apple" - I mean, really try and use it for a few months. It continues to grow and improve with every release. The 6 Plus was enough to bring me back, as well as a few other folks I know. Who knows what hardware will be released on the "dark side" 6 months from now, though. Maybe I will stay, maybe I'll switch back. Who knows. :cool: Right now, I just can't get over how nice the 6 Plus looks and feels :apple:

You do make some good points. I personally prefer the simplicity of iOS. I have used Android quite extensively in my work (i will admit i've never owned an android device myself but I am very familiar with it.) I just find the android interface too 'bitty' and messy and inconsistent. Im prepared to sacrifice customisation (most of which I personally wouldn't use anyway) for the slick ease of use that I get with iOS.

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
HOLLYWOOD

My thoughts are below.

Read the entire thing. You shifted from talking about your experience with the 6 or 6 + and started talking about the Android experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.