Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Ditto that. Same upgrade path for me, and I am finding that my iPad2 is nearly useless for me now. Now, that may not last, but I haven't touched it since getting my new iPhone.

I just look at this iPhone and wonder what they are going to do next.

This I find weird. I don't see how an iPhone replaces an iPad.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I haven't gotten a 6 yet but I'm looking forward to the 6 plus S model next year...my 5s is a trooper and I prefer the sharper edges of the 5 and 5s but I know I'll love the real estate of the 6plus

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
This I find weird. I don't see how an iPhone replaces an iPad.

I wouldn't give up my iPad either but I'm now less inclined to bring my iPad with me on some of my travel trips as the screen on the 6plus is finally comfortable enough for me to deal with.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I wouldn't give up my iPad either but I'm now less inclined to bring my iPad with me on some of my travel trips as the screen on the 6plus is finally comfortable enough for me to deal with.

Ahh. Now that I get. I travel a lot too and fully intend to leave my iPad at home from now on.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I upgraded from the 5s to the 6 plus. It is a big phone. Massive, even. But it's not unwieldy. I love it. It's perfect for someone who travels frequently. I still have the 5s (it's my work phone), but honestly feels like a toy now. I can't imagine going back to it.

One-handed use does take some getting used to. I have big hands, so maybe it's a little more manageable for me than others. But I love it.

dgtlmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I like the upgraded screen quality of my 6+ but am strongly considering going to the 6 for ease of use

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I am still trying to figure out how much different this is from Android.
The phone is nice, but some of the interface is way too simple compared to Android, like the data usage screen which has no graphs compared to the Android.

Battery life is something I am a bit worried about as it seems to go down pretty fast with use.
Cautious optimism.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I am still trying to figure out how much different this is from Android.
The phone is nice, but some of the interface is way too simple compared to Android, like the data usage screen which has no graphs compared to the Android.

Battery life is something I am a bit worried about as it seems to go down pretty fast with use.
Cautious optimism.

I've found the battery life to be excellent and do you really need those usage graphs? If so there are a bunch of utility apps on the App Store that can do that.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I've found the battery life to be excellent and do you really need those usage graphs? If so there are a bunch of utility apps on the App Store that can do that.

Don't need the usage graphs, but its nice to see a graph of it and be able to set a limit interactively using the graph to warn you when your about to hit say 2GB or whatever you feel like setting it to.

I would prefer to not "install an app for that" as it really should just come out of the box in the Settings app like Android does. One of the things I like about the iPhone despite these shortcomings are things like Facetime for example, which one could install Skype, but the fact its built into the phone makes it convenient. HealthKit in iOS8 is another nice one, being able to track steps without me having to install yet "another app" for it. The graph on it is very nice too, though it seems to only be in iOS 8, and only for "Health" related stuff in that app. It would be nice if they translated it into some useful graphs in the Settings app.

There are a lot of things in iPhone that I don't NEED, but would be very nice to have. I am finding more and more things that I liked about Android that I am missing like for example:

- Contacts: Having a contact photo next to all contacts, and all email messages so that I can see who they are from. This is a feature in the Plus, but not in the standard iPhone. However, my 4.7'' Android phone before I got this new iPhone had it already, why can't they just put it into the 6? Instead they just had to use it as a marketing feature to get the 6 Plus.

- Wireless Hotspot Name: The wifi hotspot name / SSID is the phone name. And it defaults to your full name as the hotspot. I like how in android you can customize what the hotspot name is without changing the name of your entire phone.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I switched back to iOS with the 6 Plus from 2 years of exclusive Android use. It is a breath of fresh air. I absolutely love it. I had a Nexus 5 and it was so laggy, clunky, and slow at times. Apps crashed, keyboards crashed, multitasking was super buggy, everything on it just felt so wrong. But I didn't know it at the time. I thought it was normal. Then I switched back to iOS. I am greatly enjoying my experience with iOS.

Also, the Messages app is amazing. Way better than any and every Android alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.