Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
New York
At school, my MAC address must be whitelisted to join the network. Considering that Apple now randomizes MAC addresses in the name of privacy...

Does this mean that the WiFi Address in Settings > General > About is potentially a false number?

If so, how can I go about getting my phone whitelisted for the school's network?

Thanks.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
At school, my MAC address must be whitelisted to join the network. Considering that Apple now randomizes MAC addresses in the name of privacy...

Does this mean that the WiFi Address in Settings > General > About is potentially a false number?

If so, how can I go about getting my phone whitelisted for the school's network?

Thanks.

Its only random if it isn't connected to any wireless network. What you see in the menu is the true address and it will work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its only random if it isn't connected to any wireless network. What you see in the menu is the true address and it will work.

That makes sense because it doesn't make sense to have an ever changing MAC address. Why have one at all, if the numbers will be changing all the time. What apple did will increase security when not on a network, and not hinder folks who try to connect to a network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.