Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As highlighted in a few reports shared in the MacRumors forums, a small but growing number of iPhone 6 Plus owners have reportedly bent their phones after carrying the devices in their pockets just days after launch. In one instance, a new iPhone 6 Plus was bent during a day of dancing, dining, and driving to a wedding.

bent-iphone6-plus.jpg
Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left FRONT pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2am and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again ), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted.
This potential for bending is of course not unique to the iPhone 6 Plus, with reports of bent iPhone 5 and 5s handsets surfacing in the past few years. As iPhones get thinner and larger, however, storage of the handset in a pocket becomes riskier. Unlike smaller phones that can slide out of the way, pressure points from sitting or bending now have greater potential to cause the longer iPhone to flex in a way that will damage the device.

bent_iphone_6_plus.jpg
To prevent bending, iPhone 6 Plus owners may want to remove their iPhones from their pockets before sitting or bending. If a pocket is unavoidable, then customers may want to place their device in a roomier pocket that allows the device to slide out the way. A rigid case may also provide protection from flexing or bending, as well damage from dropping the device.

Article Link: Some iPhone 6 Plus Owners Accidentally Bending Their iPhones in Pockets

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thinner phone made of aluminum which is a malleable metal. Can't say that I'm surprised. Disappointed yes, surprised no :(

007pandas

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Not the way to carry a iPhone 6

This is horrible, I would never put that much pressure leaning against my phone. Come on MAN! :eek:

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
I hope thats a manufacturing defect on a certain batch!

I expect that from a Samsung device not an Apple one!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Was wondering when this would be posted as an article. :) I have a feeling it wouldn't bend if we broke our normal habit of pointing the screen towards our thigh. If the screen (glass side) was pointing away from the thigh, then it wouldn't bend.

Merackon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Thinner phone made of aluminum which is a malleable metal. Can't say that I'm surprised. Disappointed yes, surprised no :(

Agreed, like those people that complain about house hold appliances failing when they do something with it because the manual says not to do it otherwise.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
This is quite a serious problem. I wonder if apple didn't anticipate this, or they didn't come across this issue during their quality assurance testing. I wonder if were going to hear something from them regarding this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.