Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I bought one and returned it the next day. Got a thin Sedio Suface shell to replace it. Has a rubberized exterior and is just the right amount of grip with out adding any bulk.

Get what ever you want and let no one shame you out of it. Choice is good!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Those things are simply atrocious and painful to look at. So who's going to use Otterbox cases? :rolleyes:
The people around here who buy iPhones to stick in cases, never take them out, and have no intention of ever keeping them beyond the date they can get the highest resale value for them.

Yeah. Those people.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I couldn't stand the Otterbox on my iPhone 5 for more than 2 months. No chance in hell a 6+ would fit in ANY of my pockets with an Otterbox case. Maybe if it came with wheels and a leash. :p

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I never understood why everyone was in love with the otterbox. Strong marketing I guess.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I tried an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 4 and hated it, ended up selling it. My 4S had a Speck Pixelskin that I got free from Apple and loved that one. My 5 currently has an Otterbox Commuter I've had on it all 2 years and love it, it's the right amount of protection while not being as unwieldly as the Defender. I'd like to try the Commuter or Symmetry on my iPHone 6 too, but right now I got that cheap Luvvitt case, still waiting on my iPhone 6 but the case is suprisingly thin just not every nice looking, may be a temp case we'll see.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Teenagers should have Otterbox Defenders. I had one for about a week on my 5. You can throw your phone across the room and it just bounces. There's a market for it but it's not me.

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I use the commuter for last 2 yrs on my 5 and have it again on my 6. Dropped phone a few times with my 5 and no issue. I don't use a screen protector and the commuter comes out slightly so if you drop on front glass is safe.

I also like it has the bottom thing that covers lightning connector and headphone jack so no dirt gets in

Musubi

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
U.S. / 東京 日本
My 4s used an Otterbox Defender. When I got my 5s last year, I initially considered a Defender again but then saw some reviews about Spigen's Tough Armor.

The Defender had a several week waiting period while the Tough Armor was in stock plus at a fraction of the cost ($59 for the yet to be released Defender versus $25 for the Tough Armor).

The Spigen has been more than enough and now when I try even using my Defender encased 4s (used for media), it feels overtly bulky (total overkill).

I do contract computer work most of the time but I also work part time (20 hours a week) in supply chain logistics. I have my 5s in the my pocket where it goes through wild temperature swings (room temperature to 0 degrees F) and not the cleanest environments. But the case has done its job. I don't even use a screen protector (see attached photos).

Looking at the various series of Otterbox cases for the 6/6 Plus, those are garish beyond yuck (not my taste). They couldn't pay me to use one of their cases now.

Attachments

• DSC09704-A.jpg
    DSC09704-A.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC09705-A.jpg
    DSC09705-A.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 399

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Looking at the various series of Otterbox cases for the 6/6 Plus, those are garish beyond yuck (not my taste). They couldn't pay me to use one of their cases now.

Lol. Really? The commuter is all black with a cutout around Apple logo. How is that yuk? It's not bulky, so I'm curious what is yuk? Black goes with everything.

I imagine some people may not like the case for one reason or another but you made it seem like it's some sort of ugly case. How is a black case ugly?

lapril

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
They are ugly but I've used it for my 4s and it is still as gorgeous as the day I bought it. My job requires a lot of movement and I would hate to crack my 6+. I'm still in the market for cases… If I can't find the level of protection I need, then otter box it is:(

Nobodyhasdreads

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
I will be using an otterbox on my 6+. I have 4.5 and 1.5 year olds. They are bulky and I hate the feel but I like my children to be able to use my phone every once and awhile. And with kids you ever know. It is totally worth it to me.

trevgriff

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Spend half my time at construction sites otterbox is the way to go. Hoping the defender and screen saver is available when my 6+ arrives.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Ok, ok, ok... I'd use one of those cases.......if I was going to the moon.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I have in the past. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the apple leather case can handle any drops this time. A little risky but I'm pretty careful.

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Ok be honest..who going to use those fugly Otterbox cases on their iPhone 6 a...

26e47fa52f61e1030a304badc26b4bfe.jpg
6efdc9eb3a5198628174df80634ef74d.jpg

What's ugly?

USF813

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tampa
I bought the commuter case today in black on black. It adds just enough bulk to the 6. Frankly, the phone is too thin to begin with, so I'm pleased with this case. I don't think it's ugly. I wish Otterbox made a simple silicone skin like the one on the 4. I loved that case!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.