Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapril

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
But if it's trapped in that ugly case all the time, who would know?

True. But I really enjoy keeping all my tech gadgets pristine, even after I've stopped using them and the general public has deemed them obsolete. I wish I weren't so clumsy. :(

----------

I bought the commuter case today in black on black. It adds just enough bulk to the 6. Frankly, the phone is too thin to begin with, so I'm pleased with this case. I don't think it's ugly. I wish Otterbox made a simple silicone skin like the one on the 4. I loved that case!!

I will never again buy the commuter. I dropped my 4 on concrete while wearing that case and the screen completely shattered. :mad:

SuperCub

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Colorado
I bought a Defender for my wife's 6 while I'm borrowing it til my 6 Plus shows up. (Best wife ever- she insisted I use it!) I figured that way it will be pristine when I hand it over to her. She already has a case picked out that she'll use later.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Returned my 6+ Apple leather case today. One because $49 is absurd and I hate cases. Rarely use one. I have a ZooGue one coming in a few weeks and I'll throw that on if I ever need one in a situation.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What's ugly?
The case. Not the phone. ;)

----------

True. But I really enjoy keeping all my tech gadgets pristine, even after I've stopped using them and the general public has deemed them obsolete. I wish I weren't so clumsy. :(
If a pristine tech gadget were enclosed in a case would anyone ever be able to observe or know it's pristineness?

Or is it a matter of "knowing" the tech gadget is pristine that you enjoy - instead of actually being able to observe it's pristiness without a case?

chadrodgersLFD

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I'm waiting for the symmetry case. Those are actually nice without the bulk. Feels even more premium than the spigen tough armpit but somehow less bulky.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Those things are simply atrocious and painful to look at. So who's going to use Otterbox cases? :rolleyes:

For people who work in fields like construction, I can understand using an Otterbox. Same goes for people who let their kids use their phone a lot (and we know kids drop/break stuff all the time). But otherwise, I think they're hideous and seem to double or triple the size of the phone. But hey, I'm not gonna tell somebody else what to use and what not to.

TexasRangerFan

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I got the Pelican Voyager today for my 6+. It doesn't seem as bulky as the Defender I've used on previous iPhones.

I also like it because there is no rubber 'cover' to get loose over time like the Defender.

lapril

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
The case. Not the phone. ;)

----------

If a pristine tech gadget were enclosed in a case would anyone ever be able to observe or know it's pristineness?

Or is it a matter of "knowing" the tech gadget is pristine that you enjoy - instead of actually being able to observe it's pristiness without a case?

It's definitely the "knowing" it's pristine. But like I said, my job requires tons of movement and my phone has taken tons of tumbles, but the big ugly otter box has protected it nicely. I'd love to have a better looking, but equally protective case. Any suggestions?

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I just got a Ballistic case...there were no otterbox cases for the 6+ at Best Buy today. The phone is now heavier of course but feels like it can take some punishment if it has to and doesn't look bad.

I agree about the heavy silicone cases that Otterbox had for 4/4S. I loved that case and my 4S got bumped around a lot and still looked pristine when I sold it for the 5S.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Any suggestions?
I don't use cases, so no, no suggestions.

As a previous poster mentioned though, if my job were a physical one, I'd probably use a case as well - on the job at least.

I get why people use cases and I don't look down on anyone using them. It's just not for me. I spend a lot of time with my phones (typically over three years) so I don't particularly care for cases being in the way. But that's just me.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I bought the commuter case today in black on black. It adds just enough bulk to the 6. Frankly, the phone is too thin to begin with, so I'm pleased with this case. I don't think it's ugly. I wish Otterbox made a simple silicone skin like the one on the 4. I loved that case!!

I got the same thing, but a gray and black. They have some others that were nice, but they were preorder only (Symmetry series) and I want to see them up close. If I still worked outside, I would get the "ugly" Defender in a heart beat (for you people who don't like it, don't buy it).

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My 4s used an Otterbox Defender. When I got my 5s last year, I initially considered a Defender again but then saw some reviews about Spigen's Tough Armor.

The Defender had a several week waiting period while the Tough Armor was in stock plus at a fraction of the cost ($59 for the yet to be released Defender versus $25 for the Tough Armor).

The Spigen has been more than enough and now when I try even using my Defender encased 4s (used for media), it feels overtly bulky (total overkill).

I do contract computer work most of the time but I also work part time (20 hours a week) in supply chain logistics. I have my 5s in the my pocket where it goes through wild temperature swings (room temperature to 0 degrees F) and not the cleanest environments. But the case has done its job. I don't even use a screen protector (see attached photos).

Looking at the various series of Otterbox cases for the 6/6 Plus, those are garish beyond yuck (not my taste). They couldn't pay me to use one of their cases now.

Another vote for the Tough Armor here, though the Slim Armor is adequate for day to day life.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
I had an Otterbox Defender on my Note 2 and 3. I spend a lot of time in Pool pump rooms and other places they protection is needed. Since I have always out in a Mophie Jucie Pack, that was my case. I shouldn't need a Mophie on my 6+ given battery life is better than my Note 3. I may look at the Lifeproof, but I am not a fan of screen protectors.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I work in the construction industry and I don't use a case. Everyone uses Otterboxes.

That's what insurance is for. I don't like having a VHS tape in my pocket and I'd rather just shoot myself than wear a holster.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I prefer the Spigen Tough Armor of Lifeproof cases over Otterbox, and I usually get one or the other for when I'm going camping or hiking or something more physical where my phone may be more prone to taking a tumble onto something less forgiving than my modern urban surroundings.

I would forgo a case for every day use, but the 5S was small and slick, a poor combination with my hands, so I got a case that added a slight amount of bulk and a lot of grip (got a Magpul and love it).

For the 6+, I currently have no case on it and I don't find it too difficult to hold, but picking it up from a flat surface requires more concentration than it should because the phone is simultaneously large and thin, and I don't want that camera lens constantly touching every surface I place the phone down on. Additionally, given the size of the screen, I want a kickstand. I've ordered the Spigen with kickstand that's getting middling reviews on Amazon and that should tide me over until a more durable case is released.

pe93co

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I personally don't use one but you don't have to be so mean about it.
I'd only purchase their symmetry series if they come out with more color. It provides good protection without being too bulky. I also like NOT having a hole showing the Apple logo in the back of a case.
But why did they make so many of those ugly floral prints ones right off the bat? I wish they just made more simple color ones.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I would love not to use an Otterbox, but I actually like the extra bulk as the iPhone is just way too thin to use comfortably. What I would like though is a case that meets the following requirements:

1. Doesn't cover too much of the front bezels (makes swiping gestures easier)
2. Doesn't have flappy port covers (this wouldn't bother me if the iPhone supported wireless charging)
3. Has a fully rubber back like the Otterbox Defender
4. Slightly less bulky than the Otterbox Defender

I don't like the other Otterbox models as the hard plastic casing is too slippery. The Speck Candyshell Grip comes close to meeting these requirements, but damn is that ugly.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I bought a Defender for my wife's 6 while I'm borrowing it til my 6 Plus shows up. (Best wife ever- she insisted I use it!) I figured that way it will be pristine when I hand it over to her. She already has a case picked out that she'll use later.

Anyway you could post a pic of the phone in the Defender? I have a 4 year old and 2 year old who occasionally need a distraction while out so I'm debating between a Defender or Commuter.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Those things are simply atrocious and painful to look at. So who's going to use Otterbox cases? :rolleyes:

I purchased a $9 bumper case from Amazon and have decided that is the only case I'm going to use.

I've purchased otterbox in the past and ended up selling at a loss cause it's too bulky. Same for lifeproof. No way am I using either of those cases.

I only plan to stick with what I have at this point as I'm happy with it. If anything I may look into a seidio at some point.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Seems like some of you spend too much time worrying about what other people do with their stuff.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Someone has a thread here regarding the film that cover the touch ID. Said it left a residue he cannot remove no matter what he tried. I found the defender on my 6 to bulky and the buttons were VERY, VERY difficult to press.

Going with either Pelican voyager or protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.