Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I'm still having trouble deciding whether I should get black/white. The only part that matters to me is the front panel, since I will be using a case. I've owned 2 black iPhone's and no white ones, so I was thinking I might go white this time around but I'm just not sure.

Please offer your advice!

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
The black bezel blends in with the edge, which is cool. I have a white device right now, so my next one will probably be black. I think you would like a white one.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I have a white 6 plus and my brother got a black one. I have to say the screen blends in to the sides nicely on the black front but I like the silver Touch ID on the silver/white. I'm still happy with my choice but those are my experiences.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
With the white bezel you won't be able to see fingerprints (but you will still see them on the screen when it's turned off).

With the black bezel it isn't distracting as the white version is while you are watching a show on your phone.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Pros of white:
- Matches iOS 7/8's white look
- There is an easy to see metal circle around the home button
- Easier to find when you "lose" it around your house

Pros of black:
- Bezels can't be seen when it's dark
- You can't see the sensors and camera on the top bezel as well, so it looks cleaner
- It looks sleeker (my opinion :D)

Reactions: bronzi

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Pros to white:

Touch ID ring looks better
Better suits iOS color scheme
Fingerprints don't show up as easily
Just really pretty

Pros to black:

Display blends seamlessly
Very sleek
Also really pretty

I've had black iPhones since the 4 and I loved them but I decided to switch it up and get white this time. Love it. Absolutely beautiful.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I had black phones before. I chose white this time and don't regret it. Nice refreshing change.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I can't stand a white bezel. Messes with my eyes whenever I'm watching videos or doing anything really. A black bezel in the front is the only way for me, the back I don't care what color as much as the front bezel. Front bezel in my opinion should always be black.

Then again I haven't had any white devices for a lengthy amount of time, but that's just how I've felt for the tiny bit I've used them.

Nate.

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm still having trouble deciding whether I should get black/white. The only part that matters to me is the front panel, since I will be using a case. I've owned 2 black iPhone's and no white ones, so I was thinking I might go white this time around but I'm just not sure.

Please offer your advice!

I have the gold and though I like it a lot the black blends into the bezel like other posters have said and it looks really sleek. Also, naturally the black will make the entire phone look a bit slimmer in the hand. I do like my gold though, I've had every iPhone since the 3G and every single one has been black so I decided that I needed a change and I'm glad I made it. The one perk of the white/gold is that it doesn't really show fingerprints at all.

Sty1es

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
Honestly can't go wrong with either. Both are nice in person, but I had a white phone for the last 2 years and decided to switch it up with no regrets.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
Black with brown leather case looks sexy and professional at the same time :D

IMG_4015_zps39ee1efe.jpg

IMG_4062_zps41d879f4.jpg

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
h4A0A8FA7

On a more serious note, I'm not really fond of the new space grey back, it looks so light. :( The only reason why I would choose the black front over the others, is because the bezel is less visible compared to the white/gold versions.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Beyond personal preference, practical reasons for choosing WHITE over BLACK are:
  • Fingerprints, scratches, and dirt are far less noticeable on white.
  • When using apps with white background under normal lighting, white is easier on the eyes.

And practical reasons for choosing BLACK over WHITE are:
  • Gives the appearance of a smaller size.
  • When running apps with black background or when turned off, black bezels just disappear. White has a small black gap between its bezels and display area.
  • Speaker, front camera, Touch ID are almost invisible.

Reactions: bronzi

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Dirt that gets trapped in the cracks of the phone is visible on the white. Especially around the home button. Maybe the ring around the button hides it better now?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Black looks better

White hides scratches and fingerprints

Also have to say the white specs of dust/dirt that get caught in the joins on the black version drive me nuts. If dark dirt is your issue when using the white you need to wash your hands more!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I had black for my 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. When the gold was introduced for the 5S, I had to get it. At first, the white face was a bit distracting but I got used to it. I feel that the white face is more Apple-y, and makes it look a bit more unique than the rest of the phones out there.

Reactions: yannisgk

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
I had black for my 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. When the gold was introduced for the 5S, I had to get it. At first, the white face was a bit distracting but I got used to it. I feel that the white face is more Apple-y, and makes it look a bit more unique than the rest of the phones out there.

funnily, the macbook line is far more similar in colours to the space grey iPhone, a grey aluminium unibody housing a display surrounded by a black bezel.

pakupakuman

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
White bezel

Beyond personal preference, practical reasons for choosing WHITE over BLACK are:
  • When using apps with white background under normal lighting, white is easier on the eyes.

This. I use the phone browsing more than actually talking. To me, it goes easy on the eyes when mulling through most websites.

----------

Black with brown leather case looks sexy and professional at the same time :D

I must say, this looks good. Reminds me of black-dialed pilot watches with a brown leather strap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.