Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
White looks nice. HOWEVER, in the long run, black is a safer choice. white will make the benzel stand out.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Black pros: it isn't white
cons: it's too black.

White pros: it isn't black
Cons: it's too white

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
For those saddened by the lack of a silver bezel on the fingerprint detector on the black, it's easy to think that Apple opted to keep the black face pure and unobstructed. The silver circle would have destroyed the pureness of the face of the phone.

Just my 2 cents. :)

PS. Oh and I have the black Plus and I'm loving it...after having a White/Silver iPhone 5.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
All of my phones have been black. It's time to change it up. I'm going white. The gold makes it look so nice.

Dyn-tec

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
White will help with heat issues.

I have had my black iphone shut down when on the boat in the sun. White iphone never did that.

That being said, I ordered black.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I've always had black iPhone's and iPads then recently went white and am very happy for the change. I thought the black edge on the screen and the white border might bother me but it doesn't and I'm very particular.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
I'm still having trouble deciding whether I should get black/white. The only part that matters to me is the front panel, since I will be using a case. I've owned 2 black iPhone's and no white ones, so I was thinking I might go white this time around but I'm just not sure.

Please offer your advice!

You just answered your own question. Go with your gut. In this case you are thinking about going with white. Just do it. If you get black you will contemplate for days that you should have gotten the white.

LandoVol

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I thought the space grey was for guys and the white & gold was for chicks. Real men don't get white or gold iPhones IMO.

JeepinCoastie

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Get gold so you can play that I'm so fancy song. Honestly I get black/space gray in hopes that the gender neutral color will help my resell audience

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I thought the space grey was for guys and the white & gold was for chicks. Real men don't get white or gold iPhones IMO.

I know more guys with gold/white actually. I feel that gold is more feminine, and white and black are neutral

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I generally go for the white, and when my 5 was replaced with a black one by the insurance company I genuinely hated it and couldn't wait to upgrade to the white 5S ... but the 6 in black ... whoooooosh it looks beautiful and I'm extremely tempted to go black this time. I might change my mind again once I finally get to see a white/silver one in the flesh, but currently the back of it is really putting me off.

Also, I feel Apple are puishing the black more this time? The wallpapers on iOS8 certainly seem to compliment black more than white

LandoVol

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I know more guys with gold/white actually. I feel that gold is more feminine, and white and black are neutral

Yeah the gold is definitely feminine. I had the 3G in white I purchased the black one and then in the middle of the year they released a white version. I loved it. I've gotten black ever since though because of the whole front thing and watching videos. The white takes away and is distracting imo. Not terribly but I like the solid color on the front when the screen is off. It's just one big screen.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
It's really down to personal preference but I've always found that the White bezels on the iPhone's and iPads distract from the screen, whereas the black blends in.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

I sort of thought that too when I was younger, immature and got my first iPhone. Since then I've grown up, grew a pair and don't give a damn what others think...:cool:

Reactions: phillipmai

SingingSabre

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Dirt that gets trapped in the cracks of the phone is visible on the white. Especially around the home button. Maybe the ring around the button hides it better now?

I haven't seen any dirt get caught in the cracks around my home button on my white, three year old 4S.

Anyway, the biggest pro for me with white vs. black is that on sunny days, the white gets less hot.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I always had black phones dating back to the original iPhone but opted for the white with the 5. While it was nice I found myself feeling bored with the color after owning it for awhile. I got the black iPhone 6 and while the smudges drive me a bit crazy, it looks very sleek and cool. With white in a case its just kind of bland. I do like the silver ring around the home button better with the white.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Any light scrapes or nicks will show up less on a silver/white. I'm very careful with my phones, but scratchgate was real.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I generally go for the white, and when my 5 was replaced with a black one by the insurance company I genuinely hated it and couldn't wait to upgrade to the white 5S ... but the 6 in black ... whoooooosh it looks beautiful and I'm extremely tempted to go black this time. I might change my mind again once I finally get to see a white/silver one in the flesh, but currently the back of it is really putting me off.

Also, I feel Apple are puishing the black more this time? The wallpapers on iOS8 certainly seem to compliment black more than white

I had black and it's very nice and the best phone when out of a case, but I'm just exchanging it for white. I've never had a white phone and, since I'm putting it in a case the back doesn't matter for me, but what does matter and will always be visible (case or not) is that silver ring :D

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I always go with black. The darker the better. It frames the display. When was the last time you saw a white framed tv?

Well, if you have your TV in front of a white wall, wouldn't that be same as a white bezel? Plus, the frames on the newer TV's are becoming pretty thin :p

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I've always gotten the black iphone, and wanted to try the white one, this time I did get the white and after using it for a few days, I like the white. It's not as distracting as I though it would be

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Well, if you have your TV in front of a white wall, wouldn't that be same as a white bezel? Plus, the frames on the newer TV's are becoming pretty thin :p

Th border defines the image. It's important to me. Unless you have used a projector on a wall where you haven't defined the border, you haven't experienced what adding the border does to the image.

It even bothers me that there is a white border around photos on the iPhone. You have to tap the picture to make the white go away.

If it is a non issue to you, that's rad, but it seriously bugs me.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I've got a 6+ white/silver reserved for an exchange for my space grey. But I'm having second thoughts nows because the space grey looks seamless. Also, you can't see much of the curves on the white.

Here's mine alongside the silver/white 6.

E16753B1-E7D9-4CD2-BC59-305C27BADD9C.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.