Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Let me get this straight, so it's $100 for AppleCare+. then $79 for each service right?

Why would you buy that when a out of warranty iPhone 6 screen replacement is $109?!! Somebody please explain this to me!

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, but that's assuming they can put a new screen on. These new bendy phones eliminate that. Applecare can work for a lot of other issues.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Let me get this straight, so it's $100 for AppleCare+. then $79 for each service right?

Why would you buy that when a out of warranty iPhone 6 screen replacement is $109?!! Somebody please explain this to me!

What is wrong with people? Applecare+ ISN'T JUST for accidental damage. It extends your warranty by a year!!

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I'll add, I always buys my phones with an American Express card. They have a policy on all their cards where they automatically extended the warranty of any electronic item by a year. So that's your two years of coverage right there.

So besides for water damage, what else am I really missing out on?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
I'll add, I always buys my phones with an American Express card. They have a policy on all their cards where they automatically extended the warranty of any electronic item by a year. So that's your two years of coverage right there.

That's fine for you but I don't use american express.

And why do you keep missing out on the point that it extends the warranty by a year. That alone is why I bought it.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
A lot of people don't have American Express... And are worried about their phone having other issues beyond a broken screen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

A drop can cause internal damage to the phone too. It can cause bending and cracking of the case. If your phone is clearly smashed and not turning on, Apple won't just throw a new screen on it an call it a day. They will charge the $~300 out of warranty replacement fee.

If all you worry about is the screen cracking and not really how the phone looks after the steamroller went over it, sure, it's not a great value. Effectively, it is an insurance plan. Like all insurance plans, you pay some up front, and a small deductible, in case something happens. It's also up to you if it's worth it to pay up front right away, or simply put some money aside each month for potential repairs/replacement (or, of course, you can just do nothing at all).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

If you feel your Amex card gives you the coverage you need, then don't buy AppleCare+.

/thread

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
You only have to pay the $79 for accidental damage. If it's a warranty issue there is no charge. And AppleCare+ extends the warranty for a full 2 years (versus 1 year standard). If you have a warranty issue anytime during the 2 years there would be no charge. So the payment only applies if you damage the phone (i.e. cracked screen).

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008

Bent my iPad Air and got a new one for $49 (+$99 for the original AppleCare+ purchase). Would have been $299 without AC+. Nowadays, the copay is $79, but still a good deal for a major accident.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US

Hmm, interesting as I didn't think about AMEX's extended warranty.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Fair enough. I've just gotten so used to the Amex coverage I almost forgot about the lapse in coverage after the year. It just struck me that when most people explain their decision to purchase AC+, it's for the broken screen coverage.

Just did a little research, it looks like certain cards from the three other major card companies also offer free warranty extension. It baffles me why anyone wouldn't apply for a no annual fee Amex card and just use it for electronic purchases. Even if you don't qualify for a no fee card, a card with a small fee would still be an absolute steal if you buy multiple expensive gadgets a year!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Even with my Amex coverage, it's still a hassle compared to just going through AppleCare.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Fair enough. I've just gotten so used to the Amex coverage I almost forgot about the lapse in coverage after the year. It just struck me that when most people explain their decision to purchase AC+, it's for the broken screen coverage.

Just did a little research, it looks like certain cards from the three other major card companies also offer free warranty extension. It baffles me why anyone wouldn't apply for a no annual fee Amex card and just use it for electronic purchases. Even if you don't qualify for a no fee card, a card with a small fee would still be an absolute steal if you buy multiple expensive gadgets a year!

I have bad credit? lol

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Even with my Amex coverage, it's still a hassle compared to just going through AppleCare.

Yep. I've used Amex's warranty service, as well as Visa Signature's extended protection, both are a PAIN. They make you send in the device for repair\evaluation\replacement\reimbursement, then 3-4 weeks later decide what to do with your claim. It's all done through a third party... so if you can be without a phone for 3-4 weeks, or are willing to buy a new one and HOPE they decide to just refund your purchase price instead of repair or replacement, so be it. Apple Care is like anything Apple... costs a little more than its competition, but you get what you pay for, and in my opinion Apple service is worth paying more for. :)

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
There is two years warranty as standard in the EU for anything and everything.

Still get apple care as for example my wife had her 5 replaced twice in one year through to unfortunate silly accidents. And same for the laptops etc part of it is also the hassle free experience. Time is money, being able to make an appointment and get it replaced there and then is worth a lot to me.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
An important distinction with the Amex (and other cards) is, AFAIK, one must buy the phone outright on the card.

Not necessarily. You can buy it subsidized but they'll reimburse you only up to the price you paid.

You pay full price + tax, they'll reimburse you up to the full price + tax.

You pay the subsidized price of $299 + tax, they'll reimburse you up to $299 + tax.

You pay $0, they'll reimburse you $0 (which is why it won't work with at&t Next program).

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
I managed to total my iPhone 4S and 5 and just exchanged them right away plus the $79/$99 fee. Also had a broken screen replaced on the 5 for free - maybe they were just feeling nice that day? Yeah, I'm sticking with AppleCare+. It's just a convenience thing. Squaretrade or something might be more cost-effective but who wants to have to file claims or whatever, or go without their phone for a day or more while a new one gets shipped? Not me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.