Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
It's also peace of mind, which is something priceless (to me).

And to extend my peace of mind (and craziness), I also have the $6.99/mo warranty from AT&T that will cover loss/theft. And with the declining deductible, it makes it even more worth it in my book.

(Yes, I know the total cost I'm paying, but it gives me the peace of mind not to worry or baby my phone.)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not necessarily. You can buy it subsidized but they'll reimburse you only up to the price you paid.

That would make it pretty much useless in terms of what you are suggesting it be used for IMO. Your phone is either covered, or mostly not. The second option isn't really an option in lieu of AC+ IMO.

Eith EDGE and NEXT plans on the rise, it's basically 0 coverage in those cases.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yep. I've used Amex's warranty service, as well as Visa Signature's extended protection, both are a PAIN. They make you send in the device for repair\evaluation\replacement\reimbursement, then 3-4 weeks later decide what to do with your claim. It's all done through a third party... so if you can be without a phone for 3-4 weeks, or are willing to buy a new one and HOPE they decide to just refund your purchase price instead of repair or replacement, so be it. Apple Care is like anything Apple... costs a little more than its competition, but you get what you pay for, and in my opinion Apple service is worth paying more for. :)

I've heard similar horror stories regarding Visa extended warranty, but that hasn't been my experience with Amex Extended Warranty.

The sleep/wake button got stuck on my wife's iPhone 4s. I put in a call to Amex to file a claim and they reimbursed us $299 plus tax in the next billing cycle, all without even requiring paperwork or asking for the iPhone. I did the out of warranty replacement for $199 plus tax so I actually got my wife a replacement iPhone plus some $$$.

You sure you're not mixing it up with your experience with Visa? A friend of mine tried to get a laptop fixed under Visa extended warranty and they made it a big hassle for him, requiring a mountain of paperwork/receipts/etc., obviously to dissuade the customer.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Yep. I've used Amex's warranty service, as well as Visa Signature's extended protection, both are a PAIN. They make you send in the device for repair\evaluation\replacement\reimbursement, then 3-4 weeks later decide what to do with your claim. It's all done through a third party... so if you can be without a phone for 3-4 weeks, or are willing to buy a new one and HOPE they decide to just refund your purchase price instead of repair or replacement, so be it. Apple Care is like anything Apple... costs a little more than its competition, but you get what you pay for, and in my opinion Apple service is worth paying more for. :)

My experience with AMEX was just the opposite. My iPhone 5 needed an out of warranty repair and I paid for it out of pocket. I filed a claim, submitted the receipt and they within days credited my AMEX account. It couldn't have been easier. And they credited me the entire original cost of the phone.

Now with VISA? I had an experience with them too once but it was BAD. They eventually denied my claim and I wrote them a scathing email about their reasoning. I didm' think anything of it after my email, but then about 2 weeks later I had the credit on my card.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That would make it pretty much useless in terms of what you are suggesting it be used for IMO. Your phone is either covered, or mostly not. The second option isn't really an option in lieu of AC+ IMO.

Not sure what you mean by that. If you bought a 64 GB iPhone 6 at the subsidized price of $299 plus tax using an Amex card and it fails during the 2nd year, Amex will reimburse you $299 plus tax and you use that to cover the out of warranty replacement cost of iPhone 6 at $299 plus tax, essentially making you whole.

This of course excludes screen damage, water damage, etc., which you must pay out of pocket but the OP is already aware of this.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I checked the "normal" warranty out the box and AC+ covers things that the normal wont, so AMEX warranty coverage is very limited, even when it extends one additional year..

Apple Warranty..
WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

This Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to you – please contact them for further information. Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered by this Warranty. Please refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of your rights with respect to its use. Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the Apple Product’s use.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I checked the "normal" warranty out the box and AC+ covers things that the normal wont, so AMEX warranty coverage is very limited, even when it extends one additional year..

Apple Warranty..
WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

This Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to you – please contact them for further information. Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered by this Warranty. Please refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of your rights with respect to its use. Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the Apple Product’s use.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

AC+ does not cover cosmetic damage or damage caused by abuse/misuse/fire/earthquake either.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
AC+ does not cover cosmetic damage or damage caused by abuse/misuse/fire/earthquake either.

Well anyone who has AC+, I'm quite sure they won't walk in and admit to intentional misuse. I'm sure some "accident" will come flying off of their tongue. But yes you're right.

Nevertheless, the charge/credit card extended warranty isn't as good as the AC+. Just one incident of water damage or anything else outside of manufacture issue, will set you out $275 at least EACH occurrence. AC+ is $258 with three new phones in your hand.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
My experience with AMEX was just the opposite. My iPhone 5 needed an out of warranty repair and I paid for it out of pocket. I filed a claim, submitted the receipt and they within days credited my AMEX account. It couldn't have been easier. And they credited me the entire original cost of the phone.

This is what I did as well. Don't even give them the opportunity to try and get you to get a quote elsewhere etc. Just get it done, document it, and send em' the paperwork. Never had a problem getting reimbursed. I think they're just happy you're not trying to get the full value of the phone out of them like they seem to do a lot.

mdlooker said:
Well anyone who has AC+, I'm quite sure they won't walk in and admit to intentional misuse. I'm sure some "accident" will come flying off of their tongue. But yes you're right.

Nevertheless, the charge/credit card extended warranty isn't as good as the AC+. Just one incident of water damage or anything else outside of manufacture issue, will set you out $275 at least EACH occurrence. AC+ is $258 with three new phones in your hand.

I just can't conjure up anything besides "water damage" or cracking the screen that would be considered accidental damage instead of a defect? It's just way too much money to pay for water damage coverage!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Yeah, this is highly dependent on your own personal/historical risk of damaging your iPhone. If you normally water damage your iPhone a few times a year, AC+ is the way to go. Some of us have had the iPhone since 2007 without incurring water damage. More common would be just shattered screen but it's now $109 for that and again depends on your own personal/historical risk of shattering the screen.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Yeah, this is highly dependent on your own personal/historical risk of damaging your iPhone. If you normally water damage your iPhone a few times a year, AC+ is the way to go. Some of us have had the iPhone since 2007 without incurring water damage. More common would be just shattered screen but it's now $109 for that and again depends on your own personal/historical risk of shattering the screen.

I've had Apple care for years and didn't use it until this year..twice. I came out on the better end of bad luck but I usually don't have issues with my phone. I think it's a good idea to be protected.

truth1ness

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
I've heard similar horror stories regarding Visa extended warranty, but that hasn't been my experience with Amex Extended Warranty.

The sleep/wake button got stuck on my wife's iPhone 4s. I put in a call to Amex to file a claim and they reimbursed us $299 plus tax in the next billing cycle, all without even requiring paperwork or asking for the iPhone. I did the out of warranty replacement for $199 plus tax so I actually got my wife a replacement iPhone plus some $$$.

You sure you're not mixing it up with your experience with Visa? A friend of mine tried to get a laptop fixed under Visa extended warranty and they made it a big hassle for him, requiring a mountain of paperwork/receipts/etc., obviously to dissuade the customer.

Was this in the first 90 day period or later?

----------

It's also peace of mind, which is something priceless (to me).

And to extend my peace of mind (and craziness), I also have the $6.99/mo warranty from AT&T that will cover loss/theft. And with the declining deductible, it makes it even more worth it in my book.

(Yes, I know the total cost I'm paying, but it gives me the peace of mind not to worry or baby my phone.)

How many iphones have you done this double coverage for and how many have you lost/damaged in the past?

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
Also, compared to Carrier Insurance, which usually costs about $10/month and $200 deductible on an incident, AC+ pays for itself after one use compared to OOW cost.

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
the guy at the apple store uk i went to yesterday said that with apple care that any problems you get screen/accidental damage etc, after u pay the excess (50 gbp/79.99 usd) they will simply replace the phone there and then? how true is this? will they just replace the screen and make u wait or will they replace the phone entirely?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
How many iphones have you done this double coverage for and how many have you lost/damaged in the past?

Since the 5 (or whenever AC+ became available). And if you're going to throw numbers at me, I'm well aware. My peace of mind is priceless and I don't mind spending the money to keep it that way. And as far using them, one damaged and no theft/loss. To me, insurance is a "just in case," not something the I rely on and have to use to get my money's worth.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I added iPhone cover to my home contents insurance for an extra £20. This covers me for loss and accidental damage to the phone. It might be a bit more of a hassle going through an extra party, but its a lot cheaper than AppleCare. I also have the phone's 24 month warranty to fall back on if lets say a button goes duff or another known technical fault occurs.

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
I have bought Apple Care+ on my 4s and 5s and I had an issue where I let a person use my phone to make a call and they dropped it on a cement sidewalk and severely damaged the phone.

I took the device to the Apple Store and for 50.00 they gave me a new device. I was thrilled!!

The rip off insurance these carriers are charging 5-7 dollars a month for and the 180-300 deductibles you have to pay if you damage your device is a real rip off, not Apple Care +.

iDeviceChecker

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Dresden
The AppleCare+ is a ripoff as Apple only cover parts of the phone which are not that likely to fail. In my case, my iPhone 5 has problems with the battery connector which also happens to my colleague at work - the exact same problem!

I really love my iPhone, the design and the usability, but imho the hardware sucks :)

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
The rip off insurance these carriers are charging 5-7 dollars a month for and the 180-300 deductibles you have to pay if you damage your device is a real rip off, not Apple Care +.

It's probably due to the theft/loss protection it has. Also, AT&T's insurance now has a diminishing deductible which brings it down to $99 if you've had no claims in 12 months ($149 for 6 months), which is great for a stolen or lost iPhone.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Love the AC discussions. Bottom line is all extended warranties are designed to do one thing. Make the company a TON of money. They are in general the largest profit item any company sells period. They are not a good deal for 99% of consumers. Ever sell electronics, cars etc.? As a former salesman, I would make more commission on a $50 warranty than the $1000 item I was selling.

If figure it this way. With the money I have saved over the decades not buying extended warranties, including Apple Care, I could pretty much replace every electronic device in my home.

Not saying they cannot occasionally "work out" to be worth it, but overall, just a huge rip off.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I would've gone for AppleCare myself but I needed insurance that covered theft/loss as well. But it does seem like a rip off for screen replacement everything else that's covered is pretty nice.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
One point no one has brought up yet....if you like to upgrade every year like I do, selling the phone with one year of AppleCare can increase the value by a good $50. If you don't have an incident, you will be getting half your money back and have peace of mind. It's a small price to pay if you look at it from that perspective.

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
I'll add, I always buys my phones with an American Express card. They have a policy on all their cards where they automatically extended the warranty of any electronic item by a year. So that's your two years of coverage right there.

So besides for water damage, what else am I really missing out on?

buy *

and as for your username - masterchief *

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.