Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I got my iPhone 6 128gb on 9/19. Since that Friday, it has restarted twice by itself.
Actually it was both today. Still on iOS 8.
Anyone else experience their 6 restarting by itself?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Are you doing something when it restarts, or is the phone just sitting there on standby when this happens?

The so-called "white screen of death" on iOS 7 was pretty much the same thing -- random restarts occurring for no apparent reason. It happened to me once every few days until iOS 7.0.4 came out. But, that flaw was well-known and Apple acknowledged that a software bug caused it.

I haven't seen this as a common complaint about iOS 8.0, so you might want to start with a restore to factory settings, and then reinstall iOS (although you might want to wait until the botched iOS 8.0.1 update gets fixed first). And then restore your phone from a backup (assuming that you've already backed up your phone). Otherwise, you can always make an appointment at the Apple Store. This is the kind of thing you want to isolate as quickly as possible, because defective hardware could also cause it.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Are you doing something when it restarts, or is the phone just sitting there on standby when this happens?

The so-called "white screen of death" on iOS 7 was pretty much the same thing -- random restarts occurring for no apparent reason. It happened to me once every few days until iOS 7.0.4 came out. But, that flaw was well-known and Apple acknowledged that a software bug caused it.

I haven't seen this as a common complaint about iOS 8.0, so you might want to start with a restore to factory settings, and then reinstall iOS (although you might want to wait until the botched iOS 8.0.1 update gets fixed first). And then restore your phone from a backup (assuming that you've already backed up your phone). Otherwise, you can always make an appointment at the Apple Store. This is the kind of thing you want to isolate as quickly as possible, because defective hardware could also cause it.

It happened as I was opening Apps. I'll see if it continues but thx for the helpful reply.
Much appreciated.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
It's a iOS 8.0.0 bug. Kernel exception can cause it. I guess the phone was not rebooted but re-springed. It will be fixed soon. :rolleyes:

jcr918

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
It's happen to me a few times. I have a iPhone 6 plus. It's got to be a IOS bug:(

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Is this an actual restart, or more of a quick refresh of less than 10 seconds?

If you ever use accessibility and option the 'BOLD' characters, the phone will do a very quick refresh and not a full restart which takes a little bit longer.

jgarcia4326

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Same thing here!

This exact same thing happened to me today, just now. I was listening to my music and clicked on my messages to open a new text and it appeared to reboot or refresh. That's why I decided to hop online to research if I should be worried. If this is an IOS issue then I wont worry too much because I would be pretty confident that a patch will be created but I just hope it doesn't have to do with the phone itself. I'll give it a little longer and see if this happens again. Anyone positively know this is a software issue or if apple is aware?

Carlo1717

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Same thing is happening 5-6 times a day to my iPhone 6 my wifes iphone 6 is fine and we both don't have and apps installed on it and have not restored it from iTunes I'm thinking it's my phone only and I will return it and use my 5s and wait a month or two until I feel that they have fixed this problem.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Several times. Maybe 10 in the week I've had it.

I assumed its a iOS 8 think and was waiting on 8.0.1

Carlo1717

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I'm just thinking if it's a iOS thing why wouldn't it happen to everyone with iOS 8? A few people I know say that has not yet happened to them even with many apps on there phone.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
iPhone 6 restarting by itself

Update 9/25
Haven't happened to me today. Regular usage like yesterday 9/24.
Going to update to 8.0.2 once I get home.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Hopefully just a IOS bug that the Update will fix.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Anyone else experiencing this?
Just curious....

I have been experiencing this same thing on my iPhone 5s since updating to iOS 8. As others have mentioned it is similar to the issues in iOS 7.0 that I believe we're fixed back in 7.1.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Update 9/27
On IOS 8.0.2 and had the first "Self-Restart" since IOS update tonight. I was reading Macrumors on the Taptalk App and BAM:mad:.
White screen/black apple, quick restart:(

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
My wife's 6 did this the other day. She was browsing iTunes and it just went black and restarted.
Hasn't happened since.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
This happened once with my 6plus. I was streaming video and i tilted phone towards portrait mode and it cut out and went to black screen with the white Apple.

ketchup4life06

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Hey just wanted to let you know that this was happening on my iphone 6 and I brought it into apple the other day. They ran the normal diagnostics and it showed a springboard error (iduno if thats the name, i forget) they swapped it out immediately. So if it is still happening, just bring it in to get it checked out. My new unit has not rebooted once yet.

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Used my iPhone 6 for a week with no issues but it suddenly restart by itself with Apple logo all in 5 seconds this morning when I was unlocking the phone.

Man I hope this is an ios bug and not the phone itself..

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
I believe it is an IOS bug. My 6 plus does it once or twice a day. I remember the same issues on the initial versions of iOS 7. These resprings are a pain in the neck but I hope they should be fixed in the next update or two.

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
In a 6 here running 8.0.2. I get the random reboot once in a while. Only once or twice on the newest iOS. The original 8.0.0 I happened 1-2 times a day, while trying to open apps. It seemed frequent with the Facebook app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.