Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Update 10/4
Hasn't happened since my last post on this. Knock on wood.
8.0.2 BTW
Thx for everyone's input.
It seems to randomly reset more than others. Totally frustrating!
Hopefully Apple will fix this bug.

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Just to update my ongoing with this, since I set up from a new iPhone, not restoring, I have no reboots still.

Now in my reloading, I noticed about 1/3 of my apps are NO LONGER ON THE APP STORE, I am loading all from my phone, and I tap the app to see if it is still available and I want/need it, if after clicking on the app, if the store just spins then it is an old (no longer available in the app store) app and I don't download it, I also check when the last update to the app was, if it is 2009 ish I think about if I will use it or not to load it back.

In this process I have purchased in the past, EA games, that now EA has abandoned on the app store and came out with new versions, MANY so be advised not to spend money with them unless you use the game now, cause in the future they will abandon it for sure. Others may have also, I just noticed them for now. I have not loaded any of the abandoned games or apps from anyone as of now.

Yes all apps that I downloaded I can redownload, even the ones no longer on the app store, but I know those MAY have/cause problems in IOS 8.

edit: Weatherbug elite also no longer is on the app store, I have purchased that and now they just support their free app, with a yearly subscription fee for premium instead of buying it like I did.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
On 8.02, last night I was simply using the Macrumors app browsing the forums and started scrolling and it reboot, first and only time so far but only got my phone on Thurs. Bet it's just an IOS bug...

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I've had this issue since the first day I had my 64gb iPhone 6, but today it reached a head. It would previously do it (that I saw) maybe once or twice a week. Screen would flash blue or red and reboot. Sometimes doing this mutliple times before acutally fully booting up.

Today I woke up around 1230, as I worked the previous night and went to unplug my phone to check it and it immediately went to blue screen, then white apple screen, then red screen. It cycled between the red screen and the white apple screen for over 30mins and nothing I did would get the phone to fully boot up. Eventually it did, but I don't know how or why. When my wife saw what was going on she said she has seen my phone do that randomly at night while plugged in.

Called AppleCare and tried to restore from back up and restore as new...both times blue/red screen crashing immediately after restore while trying to access an app (settings, mail, phone, etc.). Eventually it became stable, but I spent 4.5 hours dealing with my stupid phone from the time I woke up until I had to leave for work again.

I'm beginning to think it's a hardware issue if setting up as new did nothing to fix the issue. I have an appointment tomorrow at my local Apple store. Hopefully I can get this resolved. Having a useless phone is annoying and frustrating.

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
Started happening to me yesterday, happened 6-7 times today. Seeing all of the rest of the reports here it really does look like an iOS issue.

iPhone 6+, 8.0.2, when I bought it I set it up as new and manually installed all of my apps. There is no pattern to which apps are opened or closed when it happens and sometimes it happens when I touch the home button or power button to turn the screen on so I can unlock it.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I got my iPhone 6 128gb on 9/19. Since that Friday, it has restarted twice by itself.
Actually it was both today. Still on iOS 8.
Anyone else experience their 6 restarting by itself?

Yes same here, twice or more a day. I hope an iOS upgrade fixs this.

It happens when I open some specific apps so I just stopped using them for a while.

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I'm interested in hearing what you find out, I've already tried restoring mine and it really hasn't made any difference for me.

My appointment is at 1300 EDT. I'll report back with the result.

The Apple support guy I spoke with on the phone today, thought it was most likely a hardware issue, as I've done 3 restores and still experience the issue.

(1) I did a restore from back up after a couple days of having the phone when I first experienced this. (2)Today I restored as new to no avail, and (3) then just restored from back up after, so I could have all of my settings, etc back since the restore as new didn't work.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Happened to me yesterday with my iPhone 5 on iOS 8.0.2. Also happened a month or so ago when I was still on iOS 7. Probably just a bug.

EnVyCaLiBeR

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Happened to me twice the last couple of days. Was on a call and it did a refresh and went right back to the call.

My friend also said her iPhone has done it a few times as well. It's most likely an iOS 8 bug.

TheDoubler55

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
I have had this happen to me at least once a day, should I go to apple or just wait for an update? 6+ 128GB

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
it's happened to me a few times. yesterday morning it happened while i was in the music app.

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
It happened last night while I was mid-runkeeper tracking. Just killed my music and rebooted. Argh.

Luckily I could just hit resume and continue but I can't WAIT for apple's next iOS update.

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I just got back from the Apple store. They ran a diagnostic on my phone and it was a hardware issue. Replaced my phone with a new one. I even offered a video I had taken this morning of the reboots, but she said no need and ran the diagnostic. Error log was LOOOONNNNGGGG.

Anyways, if you are experiencing a blue/red screen of death, don't wait for a fix. It's a hardware issue. Mine was progressively getting worse too.

Hope this helps!

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I have the restarting issue on my 6+ 64 GB although doesn't seem too often as all of you are claiming. For me it happens less often, since I've had the phone, just short of 3 weeks it's happened all of about 3-5 times. Not too bad but still annoying. I'd say it's likely to be an iOS bug if this many people are having the same issue. We need to all let apple know about this bug, perhaps they might look into it and find a solution.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
I just got back from the Apple store. They ran a diagnostic on my phone and it was a hardware issue. Replaced my phone with a new one. I even offered a video I had taken this morning of the reboots, but she said no need and ran the diagnostic. Error log was LOOOONNNNGGGG.

Anyways, if you are experiencing a blue/red screen of death, don't wait for a fix. It's a hardware issue. Mine was progressively getting worse too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing, I have only had the random quick restart once a day or so...do you think it's hardware as well?

I don't have an Apple Store nearby so I haven't looked into stopping by.

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks for sharing, I have only had the random quick restart once a day or so...do you think it's hardware as well?

Can't say. Mine weren't really quick restarts. I could tell the phone was crashing, as it would take several red/blue screens before actually rebooting to home screen.

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK

Yours sounds like the quick resprings that my 6 plus suffers from. Not a complete reboot but apple logo and back up in 10-20 seconds. It's almost certainly software. My 5S had exactly the same problems with IOS 7 for the first couple of versions.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yours sounds like the quick resprings that my 6 plus suffers from. Not a complete reboot but apple logo and back up in 10-20 seconds. It's almost certainly software. My 5S had exactly the same problems with IOS 7 for the first couple of versions.

my 128 6plus does the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.