Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to offer its new 9.7-inch iPad, which has thus far been known as the iPad Air 2 unofficially, in a gold color choice in addition to the already available silver and space gray variations, reports Bloomberg. The new option would bring the iPad up to color parity with its iPhone models, which have been offered in three colors since last year's iPhone 5s.

ipad_air_touch_id_mockup_2.jpg
New versions of the company's 9.7-inch iPads, anticipated to be unveiled this month, will include gold as a choice of color for the rear metal cover, adding to the silver and gray available for the lighter iPad Air, the people said, asking not to be identified ahead of an announcement. That brings the color palette into line with the iPhone 5s, which come with silver or gold backs for models with a white faceplate, and space gray for those with a black front.
Bloomberg's sources indicate that the new color choice may be an attempt to boost iPad sales, which dropped slightly in the past year. CEO Tim Cook previously said the iPad sales dip was a "speed bump".

In early September, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that Apple would announce an iPad Air 2 with a gold option amongst other features like an anti-reflective display and the Touch ID Home button.

Article Link: Apple Planning to Offer iPad Air 2 with Gold Option

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I liked the 5s gold but the gold on the 6/+ is not very attractive. To me, anyway. Presumably that's the look the new gold iPad will receive.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll still sell kabillions of them :cool:

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Gold would be nice, but a true Surface Pro competitor would be even better. 13" with iOS, stylus, split screen multitasking etc... I'm a student who would drop $1k on that without hesitation. It would be like a Surface Pro, except with a mobile operating system and app ecosystem that's actually decent.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
If it is basically a spec bump and more color options with the gold i feel that the iPAD holiday sales will be fairly similar to what apple saw last year. There is really not much to replace the Air in 12 months. One way to boost holiday sales would be to introduce a bigger 12.2 iPad + but that is pretty much impossible given that nothing has leaked (whatever we know of it, its unlikely going to be available before next year - if at all). I think many people will be saving up for the larger iPhones and the Apple watch and giving a pass on the new iPad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't know who their sources are but I highly doubt someone chose not to buy an iPad because it didn't come in gold. I call BS on that. And why does MR keep referring to it as iPad Air 2? It seems quite unlikely Apple will start adding numbers to iPad naming convention.

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
If it is basically a spec bump and more color options with the gold i feel that the iPAD holiday sales will be fairly similar to what apple saw last year. There is really not much to replace the Air in 12 months. One way to boost holiday sales would be to introduce a bigger 12.2 iPad + but that is pretty much impossible given that nothing has leaked (whatever we know of it, its unlikely going to be available before next year - if at all). I think many people will be saving up for the larger iPhones and the Apple watch and giving a pass on the new iPad.

Well, we do have this leak:

iPad-Pro-backplate-Weibo-001.jpg

However, there won't be an iPad Pro until at least early 2015 according to Ming-Chi Kuo. Fingers crossed that this is a Surface Pro competitor or something better, and not just a giant iPad... that would be a disappointment.

Maybe we'll see this thing announced soon at the October event.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Gold is so tacky. <--- 11 forum pages of gold thrashing right there...

At least that was the general consensus when another tablet manufacturer offered a 'gold' version earlier this year.

Just giving you guys a heads up before you praise this one too much.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I don't know who their sources are but I highly doubt someone chose not to buy an iPad because it didn't come in gold. I call BS on that. And why does MR keep referring to it as iPad Air 2? It seems quite unlikely Apple will start adding numbers to iPad naming convention.

The New iPad Air.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Phew! When I read the title I first thought it was going to be 18 karat gold like the :apple:Watch!

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Rose Gold please to match my Rose Gold :apple:Watch ;)

If it's similar to the iPhone 6/+ in Gold, then I can see this working, for those who like continuity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.