Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
corwintheking
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to corwintheking Send a message via MSN to corwintheking
How to Reinstall Safari?

My roommate accidentaly deleted some of my applications. I reinstalled most of them easily (like adium, camino, etc...) but I faced some problems with installing Safari and Ichat. I could find no place to download a Safari version which fits 10.4.4 . I just found 2.0.1 Safari update which says " you can't install 'cos you don't have 10.4.2 installed on that partition". Then I decided to reinstall 10.4.4 update. After reinstalling the update, ichat started to work fine. Safari also again appeared in Applications menu. But it doesn't launch when I try to execute it . Is there anyone who knows what can I do about this? I don't have Tiger DVD with me right now ( it's on home right now and I'm at dormitory unfortunately). Anyone who knows a place I can download a Safari version for MacOSX 10.4.4?
corwintheking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:50 AM   #2
CoMpX
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to CoMpX
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwintheking
My roommate accidentaly deleted some of my applications. I reinstalled most of them easily (like adium, camino, etc...) but I faced some problems with installing Safari and Ichat. I could find no place to download a Safari version which fits 10.4.4 . I just found 2.0.1 Safari update which says " you can't install 'cos you don't have 10.4.2 installed on that partition". Then I decided to reinstall 10.4.4 update. After reinstalling the update, ichat started to work fine. Safari also again appeared in Applications menu. But it doesn't launch when I try to execute it . Is there anyone who knows what can I do about this? I don't have Tiger DVD with me right now ( it's on home right now and I'm at dormitory unfortunately). Anyone who knows a place I can download a Safari version for MacOSX 10.4.4?
I believe that if you insert the OS X install DVD, then you can choose a custom installation and choose to only install Safari, or any app for that matter.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:53 AM   #3
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMpX
I believe that if you insert the OS X install DVD, then you can choose a custom installation and choose to only install Safari, or any app for that matter.
No, I don't think that can be done..

Google for Pacifist. Then use that to extract the Safari installation package from the installer DVD/CD.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:58 AM   #4
corwintheking
macrumors newbie

The problem is that I don't have the installer DVD with me right now . It would take nearly a week for me to get it if they post it to me. Is there nowhere on web I can find the download for safari? right now I'm using camino, but it's nowhere near good as safari .
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
I'd FTP you my Safari.app file (and whatever else whas required) but I'm still on Panther, so I don't have version 2.

Would something like that work though if you found someone else with version 2?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6
yellow

Quote:
The problem is that I don't have the installer DVD with me right now . It would take nearly a week for me to get it if they post it to me. Is there nowhere on web I can find the download for safari?.
Don't know if this is a full install or an update (like it says):

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safari.html

Otherwise, no, there's no way I'd trust a random download of Safari (excapt maybe from Shard )
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7
corwintheking
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Don't know if this is a full install or an update (like it says):

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safari.html

Otherwise, no, there's no way I'd trust a random download of Safari (excapt maybe from Shard )

that's version 1.2 of Safari which is for Panther. that doesn't solve my problem. anyway thanks for answering.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:37 PM   #8
yellow

Then you need to borrow someone's installer or wait until you get your own or take your chances on a random download that you find.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:38 PM   #9
corwintheking
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~
I'd FTP you my Safari.app file (and whatever else whas required) but I'm still on Panther, so I don't have version 2.

Would something like that work though if you found someone else with version 2?

thanks for your answer shard . yeah, maybe that would work. But unfortunately I don't know anyone at dormitory who uses a mac (not many people know even "what is a mac" here ). So before I try it, I need to find someone who use 10.4.4?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:42 PM   #10
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
thanks for your answer shard . yeah, maybe that would work. But unfortunately I don't know anyone at dormitory who uses a mac (not many people know even "what is a mac" here ). So before I try it, I need to find someone who use 10.4.4?
Surely someone here has it and could host it/FTP it to you... anyone?.... anyone?.... Buhler?.....
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:50 PM   #11
yellow

corwintheking, PM your email address and I'll email you a zipped Safari.
It's 1.2MB, so not big at all.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:49 PM   #12
corwintheking
macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I solved the problem. thanks to yellow.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 03:29 PM   #13
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
I solved the problem. thanks to yellow.
I'm glad someone here was able to help you out - I didn't think it would be that difficult to get you a copy.

Good work yellow, the check's in the mail...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X