Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dajazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I've used iCarbons before on my iPads, but figured I'd check out Slickwraps this time to see what their wrap for the iPhone backed looked like. I ordered both in a black carbon fiber finish (iCarbons on the left, Slickwraps on the right):

IMAG5108.jpg

Right away I noticed the attention to detail on the Slickwraps:

IMAG5112.jpg

IMAG5114.jpg

When my 6+ finally came I ended up putting the Slickwraps skin on and love it :)

IMAG5132.jpg

IMAG5134.jpg

IMAG5130.jpg

Last edited:

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
does this come off without leaving any damage on the phone for if you want to resell it?

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
That looks great! Do you have a screen protector on it? I was just wondering if I could use the iloome tempered glass screen protector on it

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Looks good! I am personally waiting for my Sticker Boy skins to come in.

How were they able to get away with the Apple logo cut?!!!

SmGrafiX

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
PA
Looks real good ! I do these kind of wraps for a living, cars, trucks, van signs(family owned business) but dont have the patience to make them myself. Wish i had the time, i do make my own clear body wraps for my iphones tho lol

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
That is impressive. Cannot see any gaps. Wow.

I just had Ghost Armor installed. While it is clear, it certainly could have been as extensive as yours as far as coverage. It is more like iCarbons.

I believe ********** will be similar as their side wraps I used on the 5 were excellent as far as coverage.

Let us know how it holds up. Dry install? I assume so as they ususally are.

I may have to take my GA off! :eek:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That looks sick!!

How long did it take to install and how much?

dajazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
does this come off without leaving any damage on the phone for if you want to resell it?

I've taken them off before without any damage or residue on the phone, the trick is to use a hair dryer, they come off real easy then.

That looks great! Do you have a screen protector on it? I was just wondering if I could use the iloome tempered glass screen protector on it

No screen protector on mine, but you could definitely add one as the wrap doesn't cover any of the glass.

Looks good! I am personally waiting for my Sticker Boy skins to come in.

How were they able to get away with the Apple logo cut?!!!

Dunno, I know a few years ago iCarbons got in trouble from Apple for having the logo cutout so they switched to just covering it up or leaving a round cutout. Now it looks like they're doing more of an Apple cutout but it's nowhere near as precise as he Slickwraps one is.

That is impressive. Cannot see any gaps. Wow.

I just had Ghost Armor installed. While it is clear, it certainly could have been as extensive as yours as far as coverage. It is more like iCarbons.

I believe ********** will be similar as their side wraps I used on the 5 were excellent as far as coverage.

Let us know how it holds up. Dry install? I assume so as they ususally are.

I may have to take my GA off! :eek:

Thanks! I'm expecting it to hold up quite well, the material is a 3M wrap and the one I have on my iPad 3 has held up excellent and looks just as good as they day I installed it almost 2 years ago. It is a dry install.

That looks sick!!

How long did it take to install and how much?

It was about $15.67 with s&h, I had a coupon code that saved me $3 otherwise it would have been $18.xx.

It took maybe 10 minutes to install. The trick is getting the Apple logo and camera cutouts lined up first. Once they're in place the rest is easy. I also used a hair dryer to heat up the pieces on the edges so I could get it to sit as flush as possible.

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
I've taken them off before without any damage or residue on the phone, the trick is to use a hair dryer, they come off real easy then.

Have you taken them off after using for a year and not just a few days?

I had one of these stickers but they left a sticky residue after being on the phone for a long time. It does look great though.

dajazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Have you taken them off after using for a year and not just a few days?

I had one of these stickers but they left a sticky residue after being on the phone for a long time. It does look great though.

Yup, I took an iCarbons one off my iPad 2 after a year when I gave it to my gf, with heat it came off easy without leaving anything behind

dajazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
I would think it would, the skin is very thin and I've used cases in my iPads in the past that have sins on them. I have a Vaja Grip LP on order that I plan to use with my phone when I'm traveling

okay, i will post some pictures with my setup once the skin and case arrive!

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yup, I took an iCarbons one off my iPad 2 after a year when I gave it to my gf, with heat it came off easy without leaving anything behind

If it comes off easily with heat, do you think and iPhone that is left in the sun for a while might be a problem with one of these wraps? I put my phone in a mount in my car, and it absorbs a good bit of sun and warms up some.

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
If it comes off easily with heat, do you think and iPhone that is left in the sun for a while might be a problem with one of these wraps? I put my phone in a mount in my car, and it absorbs a good bit of sun and warms up some.

Hey There,

I believe what he was referring to was he uses heat while removing the wrap. The material is rated well above the normal temperature ranges found in closed vehicles, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you ever have an issue simply reach out and we'll ship a replacement free of charge. We stand 100% behind our quality and precision.

I'm here to help if you have any other questions!

Weston
Slickwraps

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Hi Weston,

Do you think it's possible to put an aluminium bumper around the carbon fibre skin? I see that it also covers the sides, so I was just wondering if it would hinder that? I am really looking forward to receiving mine!

Thanks

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
Hi Weston,

Do you think it's possible to put an aluminium bumper around the carbon fibre skin? I see that it also covers the sides, so I was just wondering if it would hinder that? I am really looking forward to receiving mine!

Thanks

Hey,

I can't tell you 100% because every bumper is different. However, we have tested 20 or so cases and a few bumpers and all have worked 100% of the time and even allows for removal and reapplication without damaging the wrap, which is a huge plus.

Weston
Slickwraps

ttuguy09

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
I couldn't determine which one I wanted, so I would up ordering 4 different ones and will choose when I see them face to face.

I had one of these on my 5s and it made it look like a completely new phone. I love this product!

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
I couldn't determine which one I wanted, so I would up ordering 4 different ones and will choose when I see them face to face.

I had one of these on my 5s and it made it look like a completely new phone. I love this product!

Good Idea.

Let me know if you need anything like pics, etc.

Weston
Slickwraps

dajazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011

No, like slickwrapsinc said below I'm talking about using the concentrated heat from a hair dryer, it doesn't melt it at all it just makes it a little easier to remove as the skin is a bit more pliable. Leaving the skin on while an item is in a car won't pose a problem, I've left my iPads out in the sun to the point of triggering the excessive heat warning from the devices and the wraps have handled just fine.

Hey There,

I believe what he was referring to was he uses heat while removing the wrap. The material is rated well above the normal temperature ranges found in closed vehicles, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you ever have an issue simply reach out and we'll ship a replacement free of charge. We stand 100% behind our quality and precision.

I'm here to help if you have any other questions!

Weston
Slickwraps

Awesome, love your product so it's always good to hear a company has great customer service to go with it :)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
That wrap looks really nice!

I'd be afraid of miss-aligning it though.
I guess the one nice thing is the stick-out camera which helps align one part of it.

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
That wrap looks really nice!

I'd be afraid of miss-aligning it though.
I guess the one nice thing is the stick-out camera which helps align one part of it.

Once you get the bottom on the rest falls into place. We do have a high production value video on YouTube and detailed instructions shipped with every product.

We do have a GOOF policy. You mess up and we reship a replacement Free of charge.

Weston
Slickwraps

drtran83

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Cuba, MO
I really want a CF case for my iPhone, but sadly nobody has developed one that is clean enough yet.

Slickwraps or the OP: I was wondering if this wrap would work with a clear case over the top of it without issues? I like the look along with good drop protection thats why I would like to protect it even more with a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.