Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After almost three weeks of availability, Apple's iOS 8 operating system is now installed on 47 percent of devices, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

That marks a very slight increase in adoption over the past two weeks, as back on September 21, iOS 8 was installed on 46 percent of devices. 47 percent of iOS users continue to stick to iOS 7, possibly due to a number of bugs that have plagued the launch of iOS 8.

ios8adoptionnumbers.jpg
Just ahead of the launch of iOS 8, all HealthKit-enabled apps were pulled from the App Store due to a major HealthKit bug. A fix was quickly released, but the update, iOS 8.0.1, disabled the cellular service and Touch ID functionality on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices.

iOS 8.0.2 fixed the problems introduced with iOS 8.0.1 and brought several other bug fixes, but the publicity surrounding the iOS 8.0.1 issue may have discouraged some users from updating.

Along with the critical bug introduced with iOS 8.0.1, several other problems have come to light. An iCloud Drive issue with the "Reset All Settings" option causes iCloud Drive documents to be deleted from iCloud, and multiple users have experienced problems with Bluetooth. Furthermore, iOS 8 users have complained of other issues with the operating system, including slow wi-fi speeds and excessive battery drain.

Apple's iOS 8 adoption numbers closely mirror data from Mixpanel, which also puts iOS 8 adoption at 47 percent. iOS 8's adoption rate appears to be slower than iOS 7 adoption as Mixpanel's numbers last year put iOS 7 adoption at 69.7 percent 20 days after launch.

mixpanelios8adoptionrateinfo.jpg
Mixpanel iOS 8 adoption numbers, October 4 to October 7​
In late September, Apple stopped signing iOS 7.1.2, making it impossible for iOS 8 users to downgrade back to a previous-generation operating system. The company is working to combat the issues facing iOS 8, however, simultaneously working on iOS 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3.

iOS 8.1, seeded to developers last week, fixes at least one major problem, repairing the Bluetooth pairing issue many users have been facing. The update also includes support for Apple Pay, which is expected to debut in October.

Article Link: iOS 8 Adoption Stagnates Just Two and a Half Weeks After Launch

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
honestly wish i was still on 6. 7 was okay but iOS 8 has had nothing but problems for me and many others. Unacceptable and very unlike apple for this to happen.

Management

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I have constant problems with iOS 8, mostly crashing apps and apps not rotating in landscape; both on iPad and iPhone 6.

Very frustrating.

sosull

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
An over-the-air update is a tough sell on 8GB or 16GB devices – lots of people wouldn't want to delete photos and apps to make way for a software update.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
looks about right, after updating my iPhone 5 and experiencing all the issues/bugs I told my with not to update her 5S cause I ain't about to be her personal Apple Genius for the next month.:rolleyes:

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
This isn't surprising to me at all. I have friends who are still on iOS 7 because they don't have enough free space available to upgrade. When I tell them they can upgrade by connecting their phones to their computers, and thus, doing it through iTunes, they look at me like I'm crazy, or like it's 2008 or something.

paul55br

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
An over-the-air update is a tough sell on 8GB or 16GB devices – lots of people wouldn't want to delete photos and apps to make way for a software update.

A few friends I know have not updated for this very reason.

jcw5002

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Most of my friends still haven't updated. Why? They have 16GB iPhones with not enough space! (I told them about iTunes update, but that's extra work.)

If Apple really wants to drive rapid OS adoption, they need to start w/ 32GB entry level iPhones.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah... its not because of bugs.. It is because people do not know anything about their phones, and the vast majority just let that red 1 sit on their setting app, and the people that actually try to update? They don't have 2 free gigs of space available, and they don't know how to update from their computers.

Am I a pessimist? Yes.... because I work at a technology help desk. And no one.... knows anything.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009

This is what I hear from quite a few people who haven't gone to 8. They've never connected their phones to iTunes and now can't download iOS 8 without deleting a bunch of stuff.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Sooooooooo glad I'm still on iOS 7.1.2 on both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

And I'm in no hurry to update. :apple: really screwed the pooch on iOS 8.

cdembek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Not sure if it just having the 6, but zero complaints on iOS 8. However would not update a 4s as from my experience it is just not worth it.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
8 is the worst major iOS update. I know plenty of people who are still on 7. Why? They see no real benefit with 8 (at least not enough to deal with all these early bugs).

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
iOS 8 has had a horrible reputation for sucking. I'm not surprised people have held back on updating their devices.

Not to mention that a lot of people with 16GB iPhones most of the time have to delete content to be able to update, which they just rather not.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Yeah... its not because of bugs.. It is because people do not know anything about their phones, and the vast majority just let that red 1 sit on their setting app, and the people that actually try to update? They don't have 2 free gigs of space available, and they don't know how to update from their computers.

Am I a pessimist? Yes.... because I work at a technology help desk. And no one.... knows anything.

Apple should release numbers on how many people ever connect their phones to iTunes anymore(after a possible first time). I would like to see those stats.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple will never do it but I think they should have a public equivalent to Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Initiative. I would appreciate if Apple publicly recognized that it has a problem and made a commitment to making better software.

For my part, I am being much, much more cautious with updates than I was in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.