Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I have an iPhone plus that I want to sell but don't want to deal with ebay or Craigslist. Any ideas

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Facebook?

CL isn't that bad if you realize that most scammers and theives are fairly easy to weed out.

1) face to face only
2) cash only
3) inside bank lobby

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Im an avid phone person who sells and swaps phones, where I mostly see is Craigslist but if not then I head to Swappa. Getting ready to sell my OnePlus One up there now..

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Craigslist is an okay option, but with extremely hot tech devices you'll get run over with scammers. I tried to list mine on there and got met with like five scammers, and only one legitimate buyer who never contacted me back. I just put it on eBay and called it a day. The fees suck, but it saves me the hassle and time.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Craigslist is an okay option, but with extremely hot tech devices you'll get ran over with scammers. I tried to list mine on there and got met with like five scammers, and only one legitimate buyer who never contacted me back. I just put it on eBay and called it a day. The fees suck, but it saves me the hassle and time.

I agree. The thing with eBay is there's tons of scammers trying to buy your phone and then file a dispute with PayPal or their credit card. The box was empty. The phone doesn't work. They will try to return you an empty box, or waste your time and never pay for the auction and tons of other scams.
The cl thing is you will get lots of folks that will waste your time, never show up for the deal, show up with less money, show up with a gun trying to rob you etc...
What worked for me nice and easy this time was Amazon sales and also swappa listings.
Smooth with no hassles.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I agree. The thing with eBay is there's tons of scammers trying to buy your phone and then file a dispute with PayPal or their credit card. The box was empty. The phone doesn't work. They will try to return you an empty box, or waste your time and never pay for the auction and tons of other scams.
The cl thing is you will get lots of folks that will waste your time, never show up for the deal, show up with less money, show up with a gun trying to rob you etc...
What worked for me nice and easy this time was Amazon sales and also swappa listings.
Smooth with no hassles.

Agree with swappa.

You can get scammed on swappa as well. Someone tried to scam me... And have an long and tedious process with lots of follow ups... PayPal sided with me, the seller. Rare.

Anyway. Swappa is great and it is less known than eBay, so more serious buyers in my experience.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
With swappa, the buyer still has 45 days to file a claim with PayPal so it's not that much better than eBay. The only benefit to swappa is they charge only $10 to sell it plus PayPal fees of course. When I listed a couple of iPhones on swappa before, I kept getting lowballed. I got sick of it and just sold it on cl for what I wanted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to avoid eBay, then I recommend swappa, though I think eBay may give you the most bang for your buck, especially with such a high demand product.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Just a reminder, that buying/selling outside the marketplace forum is not permitted. Access to the Marketplace forum is allowed after being a member for 6 months and having 250 posts.

Please review the Marketplace rules.

Selling outside the Marketplace. All threads offering items for sale or trade or for free, or asking to buy or receive items must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i rarely sell stuff in eBay but when i do it takes 3 weeks before i get my money and then all the fees.

I might try swappa myself later on next month

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
i rarely sell stuff in eBay but when i do it takes 3 weeks before i get my money and then all the fees.

I might try swappa myself later on next month

ebay is horrible
paypal is even worse

they constantly use the word "protection" to bully people.
i've had fund held for extensive period of time and require to provide everything under the sun, short of my birth certificate, to get my money.

I think part of it, buyer will charge back to the credit card. Credit card company charge back to paypal. paypal then get you.

I listed my phone on CL around nyc/nj market. no taker. Wondering just too many people are selling or i just suck at marketing. :eek::eek::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.