Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
I just updated to iOS 8.1 and I tried enabling Text Message Forwarding in the Messages settings on the iPhone 5 and I get this pop up on my iPhone:

Enter the code shown on your Mac to allow iPhone text messages to also be sent and received on MacBook Pro

Yet, the code never shows up on my MacBook Pro.

What's up with that?

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I just updated to iOS 8.1 and I tried enabling Text Message Forwarding in the Messages settings on the iPhone 5 and I get this pop up on my iPhone:

What's up with that?

Same problem here :(

When i open the messages app on my iPhone i see the messages icon pop up in the dock so i know the 2 are communicating, but like you when i enable text message forwarding the code never appears on my iMac.

Just tried on Mac Book Pro and have same issue.

richard69

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014

What's up with that?

You need to put the code on your phone not in ur mac.
When you open the messages app it will ask if you want to enable the feature, then a code will popup , just type it on ur phone, easy !!!

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
I opened the Messages app and still nothing pops up. I'm aware that I have to type the code into my iPhone.

thiswho

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Took a minute for mine to work. For some reason, I see 3 different of the same computer too. No idea why.

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Anybody running the public beta/Gm Yosemite vs the public release?

i have public beta and not seeing the text forwarding pop up

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
Took a minute for mine to work. For some reason, I see 3 different of the same computer too. No idea why.

So what does this magical pop up look like on the mac? Also did you keep toggling the Text Message Forwarding switch on the iPhone?

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Turn it on and off a few times and waited each time on my Phone, after the 4th try the number showed up - working without problems now.

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Still no luck here- if i quit the messages app on my iMac and attempt to turn this on, Messages opens on my iMac but don't see any code!

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
here's how it worked without problems for me on the first try.
(i had bluetooth and wifi on both devices enabled)

1. i opened the message app on OSX.

2. i opened the message app on the iphone

3. message app on OSX asks me if i want to activate this feature (i say "activate" of course)

4. iphone shows me popup and asks me for the pin i see on OSX.

Divegent

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Try this: Go to your iPhone Messages settings and turn off iMessages and turn it on again. Then go to the iMessages Settings on your Mac and do the same. After that it worked for me. Also make sure to activate your telephone number in the iMessages settings on your Mac.

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
Worked with no issues for me. Just opened messages on my Mac Pro and it instantly warned me it could now forward sms from my phone. Gave me the code right away, I just had to unlock my iPhone 5 and it asked for the code. Inserted, tested, and it works!

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Try this: Go to your iPhone Messages settings and turn off iMessages and turn it on again. Then go to the iMessages Settings on your Mac and do the same. After that it worked for me. Also make sure to activate your telephone number in the iMessages settings on your Mac.

Tried this still no luck :(

Every time i try to turn it on it opens the messages app on my iMac so it looks like it will work but don't get the popup with this code!

juicexct

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
This worked for me...

- Close out of the messages on iPad, Mac, and iPhone

- On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding
(iPad & Mac using the same iCloud account should show up there)

- Turn the slider to On
(a message should appear telling you to enter the code shown on your iPad or Mac)

- Open the message app on your iPad or Mac and wait until the code shows up

- Enter the code that appears on your iPhone for each device and it should connect

If you turn the slider on and off multiple times because the code doesn't appear at first on your other devices, there is lag between the devices and the code that appears is a onetime use code that was sent for the first request so it won't match up

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
This worked for me...

- Close out of the messages on iPad, Mac, and iPhone

- On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding
(iPad & Mac using the same iCloud account should show up there)

- Turn the slider to On
(a message should appear telling you to enter the code shown on your iPad or Mac)

- Open the message app on your iPad or Mac and wait until the code shows up

- Enter the code that appears on your iPhone for each device and it should connect

If you turn the slider on and off multiple times because the code doesn't appear at first on your other devices, there is lag between the devices and the code that appears is a onetime use code that was sent for the first request so it won't match up

That sort of worked. It opened up messages on my iMac but no code appeared :(

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Just making sure....you guys having trouble have both devices on the same WiFi network right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.