Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosminsel

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Canada
My MBP shows up 3 times (under different names that I've called it over the years) on my iPhone under Text Message Forwarding. Does anyone know how to remove the extra 2?

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
I had only my iPhone number selected for text messages on all my devices. I can confirm that the adding the email on both my mac and my iPhone to get the code worked for me. After I got it set up, I deselected the email address and still working.....thanks to the person that found the workaround. :D

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
My MBP shows up 3 times (under different names that I've called it over the years) on my iPhone under Text Message Forwarding. Does anyone know how to remove the extra 2?

I think you go into system settings, then sharing and then just edit the name. Hope that works for you.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I just updated to iOS 8.1 and I tried enabling Text Message Forwarding in the Messages settings on the iPhone 5 and I get this pop up on my iPhone:

Yet, the code never shows up on my MacBook Pro.

What's up with that?

I have a 6 plus (I don't see this setting). Where is it? Is it somewhere else on a 6?

Kal~El

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I was having this problem too. My Imessage was working fine but this just would not work. The problem was it was signed in with my older appleid before i changed it. Once i changed the id to the new one it worked.

I thought if you changed your apple id that imessage would no longer work until updated to the new one?

cosminsel

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Canada
I think you go into system settings, then sharing and then just edit the name. Hope that works for you.

What I meant is that I've changed the name of my MBP a few times in the past and it seems to show up as 3 different devices that I can enable Text Message Forwarding on.

I think it's probably because I've done clean installs without logging out of iMessage.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
What I meant is that I've changed the name of my MBP a few times in the past and it seems to show up as 3 different devices that I can enable Text Message Forwarding on.

I think it's probably because I've done clean installs without logging out of iMessage.

OIC now, lol.....strange issue, I have no clue....just a random guess and what do I know but maybe you have text message conversations still open that were done under those computer names and the phone is reading the different names...maybe delete those old conversations if that is the case?

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011

Mine shows the same thing, my MBP is listed twice (with the same name). I got it to work by switching on the first one, but it still annoys me that it's listed a second time.

Sub.0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Mine shows the same thing, my MBP is listed twice (with the same name). I got it to work by switching on the first one, but it still annoys me that it's listed a second time.

Having the same issue here. Lists my iMac once and my Macbook Air twice. I did get SMS Forwarding to work though.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Eventually worked for me after turning iMessage off/on on my phone and mac. Still took a few minutes before old codes started showing up which I had to cancel before I could finally link the two up. Now to test..

NeoX360

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007

Same problem here. Listing my macbookpro twice. I assume since I did a clean install it still thinks the Yosemite beta is installed, I don't know...

Kwiattek

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
so looks like you have to be sign to iMassage in order to have text massage Forwarding :mad: Why ? I don't like iMassage it means if my friends are out of mobile data they will not get my Massage instantly SMS to my is much more relailable

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I just updated to iOS 8.1 and I tried enabling Text Message Forwarding in the Messages settings on the iPhone 5 and I get this pop up on my iPhone:

Yet, the code never shows up on my MacBook Pro.

What's up with that?

Shut down both iPhone and Mac. Restart both. Try again. That is what worked for me. I had to open the app on my Mac first.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB

Same for me. Switched on the first one. Most likely related to have Yosemite installed once and then doing a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.