Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
London/Milan
Hi,

I was wondering if its safe/ good idea to download the new Yosemite update on my Macbook Pro 2011 which has recently started to suffer from graphics card failure?

The problem is especially evident at the start up, generally my mac will shut down when asleep and when I attempt a normal startup I will get a pink screen.

I have found that this can only be resolved by attempting multiple different startups (verbose, sing user reboot, NVPRAM, SMRC...) until it switches on again to a blue/ grey scree.

Do you think I should attempt to download Yosemite? or will it only cause further problems....

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
It is risky because you could get stuck during the installation.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if its safe/ good idea to download the new Yosemite update on my Macbook Pro 2011 which has recently started to suffer from graphics card failure?

The problem is especially evident at the start up, generally my mac will shut down when asleep and when I attempt a normal startup I will get a pink screen.

I have found that this can only be resolved by attempting multiple different startups (verbose, sing user reboot, NVPRAM, SMRC...) until it switches on again to a blue/ grey scree.

Do you think I should attempt to download Yosemite? or will it only cause further problems....

As answered in another post of yours: it doesn't matter. Failing hardware is still failing hardware no matter what software is running. You don't run any more risk of your GPU completely dying out of the blue by installing Yosemite than by keeping things as is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd not try it, you'll potentially be making things worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.