Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Okay peeps, there's a new email add-on in town and it goes by the name inbox. Honestly I have no idea what its purpose is for. I'm downloading now to see if it's at all useful. I mean really, why does Gmail need another app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.inbox&hl=en

rutyzyra.jpg

Update - you need an invite. (oh brother)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Requested an invite.

Looks interesting. Could just be a testing ground but if it works well with Google Now, could be cool.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Could this just be Google's ultimate solution to consolidate all email, Gmail or not, into a one stop solution, i.e. mail.app on iOS?

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I'm using Mailbox right now and am nit fully used to it, will be interesting if I get an invite since Inbox seems to do quite a bit more.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Inbox by Gmail

Per video, they said it only works with gmail accounts currently but they didn't altogether rule out other email accounts in the future. Will keep fingers crossed, this is one perk I love about the iPhone, one unified inbox.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, turns out the app is also available for iOS so I sent in an invite request as well.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Must say I like what they are trying here. Email has been "static" for so long and I think this is great that someone is stepping up and trying something totally different. It's not perfect and who knows if it will work but I'm going to try it when it becomes available and see if it works for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I got invited ....... :confused: I didn't even ask :D Should I download or just tease the begubbins out of you peasants that didn't get the invite :p

I don't even really use my Gmail account other than for google purchases.

I'll download later :)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I got invited ....... :confused: I didn't even ask :D Should I download or just tease the begubbins out of you peasants that didn't get the invite :p

I'll download later :)
Mate, forgive my rudeness but...let us know if this gives you invites if your own? :D :p :cool:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Oooh interesting. I love Keep.

Me too. And I tend to chuck nearly everything I do in there: shopping lists, flight info, web links, to-do lists, personal notes, directions... If Inbox somehow manages to include this in the email UI so that I can quickly glance through it all and see my personal notes next to any planning content in my emails, this might be pretty cool. If they can pull it off without making a big old cluttered mess out of it, of course.

In terms of design, from that vid it's the best looking piece of Lollipop design I've seen so far.

ArtVandelay29

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2014
DFW

I'm an active Gmail user since 2004 - requested an invite and got the form response that I'll get one soon. You don't use your Gmail and you got an invite without being asked? :(

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
how does usage of this app impact your gmail app?

i mean if you pin, snooze or bundle etc an email in inbox what happens to it if i visit gmail in my browser?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We all know you secretly get your devices from Google :p

Lol. I don't know, maybe because I'm listed on various social networks and google+ as a Microsoft MVP for Macintosh and Social Beta Tester ?

I'm an active Gmail user since 2004 - requested an invite and got the form response that I'll get one soon. You don't use your Gmail and you got an invite without being asked? :(

Yep. Just got an email that said 'you have been invited to try Google's inbox'...

Mate, forgive my rudeness but...let us know if this gives you invites if your own? :D :p :cool:

If I get any I'll pass them on to you good folks here to be sure :)

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I was invited by a Googler friend last night. The app is truly amazing and exactly what I was hoping for from Google after using Mailbox for the past few months. That being said, the fact that I can't use it with my Google Apps accounts is a deal breaker for me. According to Google, I should have a few invites starting tomorrow to give out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.