Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well I know there will be alot of anger towards me so let me tell you this is purely my own opinion!

After 1 month of using the 6+ I just wasnt satisfied here are my reasons:

1. Steve jobs was right... you need a phone that can be used one handed. I found myself using both hands which wasnt a problem but in those rare occasions where I did need to use the iphone single handed it was such a struggle! Maybe the iPhone 6 is better but alot of people who have it have said its not much of a difference compared to the 5S.

2. The LAG! when you pay so much for a device you dont expect stutters and lag... iOS 8 and 1gig ram cripped the 6+. Not to mention that 1 month AFTER its launched the ipad comes with triple core processor and 2gig ram? Apple cheaped out to be honest... Apple knew the iphone would sell like hotcakes! So why make it any powerful than the minimum.

3. Constant app crashes... honestly having a 64gig device you would use it to the fullest ie apps apps apps but the more apps that are on the thing the more it crashes!

4. Awkward construction and slippery nature of the phone - apple made the back completely flat and the aluminium is so slippery its difficult to hold properly with the fear it will drop any second!

Well thats why I sold it... I guess I will wait next time before buying it on day 1...

Dont flame me reason for this thread is to inform people I know there are hardcore apple fans out there and I am one of them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well I know there will be alot of anger towards me so let me tell you this is purely my own opinion!

Why will be angry with you? Its your money and your decision. I have an IP6, and have not incurred any app crashes, some things have lagged, but I figure an iOS update will occur. A case will resolve the slippery nature of the phone.

Still you buy the tool that best fits your needs. You discovered the IP6+ is not the right tool for you.

Last edited:

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Steve jobs was right years ago but things change and people now want bigger screens, I bet he'd love the 6 plus.

The phone works perfect for me with 1gb of ram

I've had a few crashes but I'm putting that down to bugs in iOS 8 .... 8.1 is a lot better

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
What did you replace it with?

I've had a nightmare; I got the 6, then started looking at the Plus, bought the Plus and didn't take to the size, went back to the 6 and then started seeing the Plus everywhere and bought it again.

Now I really like the Plus and have kept it, it's a little big but so are other smart phones in the wild. The battery for me, makes it a winner.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I agree with a lot of what the Op said

Apple could have easily put the A8X professor in the 6 plus and made it a super fast device. Because the bigger battery in the 6 plus, battery life would still be adequate.

But apple did cheapen out. The "s" models tend to get the bigger jump in performance.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
the rounded edges and smooth aluminum back do make it very slippery and hard to hold without a case. I would have preferred it with the square edge of the 4 and 5.

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
what lag and app crashes? I have had a 16gb plus for 2 weeks now, no issues whatsoever! At least we have a choice, I love the size of the plus

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
To the OP, it's your phone and your decision, do what you want.
I'm okay with app crashes, since I know a new OS is going to have some issues, especially with 3rd party apps. 8.1 seems to have cleaned up a lot of the issues though.
As for the handling of the phone, I just slapped a case on it as soon as I got it and no problems whatsoever.
Again, your choice. I'm not sure why anyone would be angry at you for it.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
When I had the plus the device didn't lag. Perhaps because I didn't restore from backup?

I may be getting another plus soon.. I kind of wish I had the bigger screen and battery

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're definitely wrong about #4. The 6/6+ is as slippery as the oriiginal iPhone and that was Steve Jobs's baby.
I can't answer about the original iPhone, but I can say that the iPhpne 6 plus is a very slippery phone. Its not just my opinion, but there's a lot of others who state the same thing. A grippy case is needed, at least for my own peace of mind.

Crashing apps are not a phone problem. If that were the case, nobody would be using any computer because they would sell them due to app crashes.
It could be, if the phone is defective but its more likely a buggy iOS

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I can't answer about the original iPhone, but I can say that the iPhpne 6 plus is a very slippery phone. Its not just my opinion, but there's a lot of others who state the same thing. A grippy case is needed, at least for my own peace of mind.

I don't dispute that the 6/6+ is slippery. The OP started the thread by saying how Steve Jobs was right about certain things. Well, it's as slippery as the original iPhone and many of us (including myself) went caseless with the original iPhone.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
For OP: Get the 6, put a nice case on it and enjoy it fully. That's why Apple made 2 sizes.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I am so sick of the Steve Jobs thing. Its like people forget he had plenty of stinkers over the years (like the ping service, or an iPhone that lost its signal if you held it wrong).

I keep looking for it, but I never see any lag with my 6+ at all. Maybe I have just been lucky.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP: I agree with you 110%. I tried both the 6 and 6 plus. I found the 6 plus to have a beautiful screen, but that was it. The device nearly cost me 1K. It crashed and lagged about on par with a Samsung galaxy device. Ridiculous. The 6 seemed more practical, but I found that to offer nothing, except worse performance than my iPhone 5s with iOS 7.1.2. I will use my 5S until next year when Apple finally realizes that RAM is very important in the iOS experience. RAM did not matter as much with iOS 6 and previous versions.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008

After 1 month of using the 6+ I just wasnt satisfied here are my reasons:

2. The LAG! when you pay so much for a device you dont expect stutters and lag... iOS 8 and 1gig ram cripped the 6+. Not to mention that 1 month AFTER its launched the ipad comes with triple core processor and 2gig ram? Apple cheaped out to be honest... Apple knew the iphone would sell like hotcakes! So why make it any powerful than the minimum.

3. Constant app crashes... honestly having a 64gig device you would use it to the fullest ie apps apps apps but the more apps that are on the thing the more it crashes!

4. Awkward construction and slippery nature of the phone - apple made the back completely flat and the aluminium is so slippery its difficult to hold properly with the fear it will drop any second!

2. I have found near zero lag on my 6 Plus
3. Very, very few app crashes. No more than ever before.
4. Love the solid all thought out construction.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
2. I have found near zero lag on my 6 Plus
3. Very, very few app crashes. No more than ever before.
4. Love the solid all thought out construction.

Because you found "zero" lag on yours does not mean it is not there. The term lag can be somewhat subjective. Generally speaking from the vast majority of users here, the 6 Plus performed worse than the iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.2.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree with a lot of what the Op said

Apple could have easily put the A8X professor in the 6 plus and made it a super fast device. Because the bigger battery in the 6 plus, battery life would still be adequate.

But apple did cheapen out. The "s" models tend to get the bigger jump in performance.

The X variants run too hot for an iPhone. You even see thermal limiting in the Mini which is much larger then the iPhone 6+. The mass isn't there for proper heat dissipation. No testing has been done with the A8X that I'm aware of but previous X models would have run slower in the iPhone vs what they have.

Look up Anandtech testing on the subject, you might find it interesting. You'll also quickly realize you can't just drop something like that into a fanless unit and call it a day.

This leads to another point. Its pretty obvious by how fast the A7X runs iOS 8.1 that lag in the iPhone 6+ isn't due to processing power or the lack thereof.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
OP, sounds like you gave it a fair chance and came out with solid reasons why it wasn't working for you. That's a good thing. Have you decided what you'll replace it with? Sounds like you're eyeing the 5s?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
After the wifey let me use her 6+ one or twice :) I think I'm going to get myself a 6. I like the bigger screen but I think a 6+ would be awkward for me to carry around all the time (I carry my phone in my shirt pocket).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.