Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was just wondering how many people preferred a laptop over a desktop. All I've ever owned is portable computers because there were times in school that I needed to take a fully functioning OS with me. However, in a few years I will have completed grad school and there should be a Retina (4K) smaller iMac or Retina (5K) larger iMac.

Anyway, all the accounting firms I interview with issue their own laptops to employees so I wonder if I'll ever need a laptop. I'm considering (after I graduate) getting an iMac and just using my iPad as my "away from desk" system. As it stands now my MacBook stays on a desk 99% of the time and I often use an external monitor with it. You can use a laptop in clamshell as a desktop, but then you have to worry about battery health if you never unplug it.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would still buy a laptop even if you didn't need portability? Do you just like the form factor?

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I would buy one again. I like having the option of undocking it and taking it somewhere even if I only do it rarely.

Icehawk

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm lost.
I'd love an iMac, but the option to pick my MBP and go makes me stick with them. I had the original 15" MBP. I'm using a 13" Mid 2009 one right now. I like being able to use it at a desk, but I can get up and use it elsewhere if I want.

I also really like not having to have a battery back up for it. If power goes out, no worries.

In short, I like the option of going mobile.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I know you weren't asking me but ...

Mine is a 15", and I used it alone for a year before I was gifted a Thunderbolt monitor. I love both of them.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I would always buy a laptop, mobility for me means away from the desk, not just away from the house...

Do you own an iPad? Or are your away from desk demands beyond that?

----------

I know you weren't asking me but ...

Mine is a 15", and I used it alone for a year before I was gifted a Thunderbolt monitor. I love both of them.

I am patiently waiting for a 4K Thunderbolt monitor....if it ever materializes. Or just an updated one in general.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I use a 15" Macbook Pro and I rarely take it out of the house. However, it allows me to work anywhere in the house.

slowman

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Yeah I really like the rMBP for portability. I don't necessarily need the portability, but since I've purchased it I find myself taking it everywhere. It's really nice.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
No, I would probably just build a new PC, leaving OS X entirely, at least until I could justify the expense of a loaded Retina iMac or marginally-higher-than-base Mac Pro. I'm kinda fickle that way. (Sticking with iOS though.)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I use a 15" Macbook Pro and I rarely take it out of the house. However, it allows me to work anywhere in the house.

If I had to guess, there is probably a huge portion of people who fall into this category. My wife and I are among those people.

Also, every once in a while, it's really good to have the option to take it somewhere.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
After many years of only using laptops I am sort of used to them. I am finding that I use my iPad for most of my portable needs. My MBP rarely leaves the desk where it's hooked to a 23" ACD. If I had to replace it I think I would probably go with the new 5k iMac. Replacement is becoming a real possibility as my AppleCare runs out in Dec and the GPU is living on borrowed time.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
If I had to guess, there is probably a huge portion of people who fall into this category. My wife and I are among those people.

Also, every once in a while, it's really good to have the option to take it somewhere.
I would think so. Tablets make it unnecessary to carry around laptops.

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I'd like a powerful desktop and a light but big-screened laptop. Currently I am not happy with the syncing capability between those. When there's a solution that enables both of them having the exact same stuff all the time, then I'm happy. I think that would mean a completely cloud-based workflow. On the other hand, when everything is in the cloud, I'm not sure I need the processing power of a desktop anymore. Who knows.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
No, I would probably just build a new PC, leaving OS X entirely, at least until I could justify the expense of a loaded Retina iMac or marginally-higher-than-base Mac Pro. I'm kinda fickle that way. (Sticking with iOS though.)

Thwre was a comparison done and the closest PC cost the same or more for against the Mac Pro.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I prefer portables.

I like the fact that should the power fail, I can still hotspot using my iPhone and continue using my computer.

I also like the portability that in my small flat means, that should I want to not watch the TV programme my wife is watching, then I can take my computer into another room and work in peace and quiet.

----------

Thwre was a comparison done and the closest PC cost the same or more for against the Mac Pro.

To be fair, that was a pre built HP instead of a home build, using parts from somewhere like newegg.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I prefer portables.

I like the fact that should the power fail, I can still hotspot using my iPhone and continue using my computer.

I also like the portability that in my small flat means, that should I want to not watch the TV programme my wife is watching, then I can take my computer into another room and work in peace and quiet.

----------

To be fair, that was a pre built HP instead of a home build, using parts from somewhere like newegg.

Just saying, Apple isn't exactly overpriced which is what the guy I quoted was saying.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't have huge portability needs, and I keep buying laptops. Its nice to move your computer off the desk and work on it in a recliner, or couch. My kids use the laptop all the time on the couch.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Just saying, Apple isn't exactly overpriced which is what the guy I quoted was saying.
Apple generally aren't overpriced, assuming that you're going for a system that's actually comparable. With that said, you might not need exactly that. You might find that actually you could get away with lower specifications, or simply that Apple don't offer what you want. For example, some people may want a tower computer for the expandability and interchangeable components.

Currently I have a Retina MacBook Pro (15") and a Hackintoshed desktop. Whilst the Retina iMac is very tempting, what's nice about my desktop is that I've been able to expand and upgrade it over time, rather than buying an entirely new system when it's time to upgrade.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Apple generally aren't overpriced, assuming that you're going for a system that's actually comparable. With that said, you might not need exactly that. You might find that actually you could get away with lower specifications, or simply that Apple don't offer what you want. For example, some people may want a tower computer for the expandability and interchangeable components.

Currently I have a Retina MacBook Pro (15") and a Hackintoshed desktop. Whilst the Retina iMac is very tempting, what's nice about my desktop is that I've been able to expand and upgrade it over time, rather than buying an entirely new system when it's time to upgrade.

And that's completely fair. But to say Apple is overpriced compared to competitors is just misleading.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't have huge portability needs, and I keep buying laptops. Its nice to move your computer off the desk and work on it in a recliner, or couch. My kids use the laptop all the time on the couch.

Same. I wouldn't go sit with an iMac in a set place, unless it was my living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.