Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's October 20 debut for Apple Pay included support from many of the biggest banks in the United States, including Chase, Citi, Capital One, and Bank of America, but the company has said it has over 500 other banks working to roll out support for the mobile payments service. A few of the larger ones are listed on Apple's site as launching Apple Pay support "later this year", and it appears that this next wave is now beginning to roll out.

apple_pay_later_2014.jpg
Navy Federal Credit Union, the largest credit union in the United States with over 5 million members, today announced the immediate launch of Apple Pay support.
"We're excited to make this new service available to our members starting today," said Randy Hopper, vice president of credit cards and business optimization at Navy Federal. "Our members live fast-paced and mobile lives. And, they have enthusiastically adopted our mobile banking solutions. Now, with Apple Pay, they'll be able to save time when shopping while having a safe and easy payment experience."
USAA, another of Apple's key partners for the second wave, had previously announced plans to launch Apple Pay support this Friday, November 7, but several Reddit posters have noticed that support appears to have arrived a bit early.

A third partner for the second wave, US Bank, has also apparently flipped the switch, as several posters on Twitter have reported Apple Pay support going live today.

PNC Bank has also been telling customers it will launch Apple Pay support in the "next several weeks", with one Reddit poster being given a date of November 7, but again posters on Twitter are reporting support going live today.

Update: According to a MacRumors poster, Barclaycard is also working today. M&T Bank is also working.

Update 2: Apple has updated its support document listing Apple Pay card issuers to highlight the various types of cards from the newly added banks that are supported.

Update 3: Removed mention of Regions Bank, Renasant Bank, Keesler Federal Credit Union, and Zions Bank, as multiple forum posters have confirmed these banks are not yet supporting Apple Pay, contrary to initial reports from other posters.

Article Link: Next Wave of Apple Pay Bank Launches Begins With Navy Federal, USAA, US Bank, PNC

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Yay for USAA!

As more and more financial institutions support it, and as Apple pushes it, Apple Pay seems very likely to be very successful - and to relegate poor options like CurrentC to the trash bin of history.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
You would think that Barclaycard, the bank with the exclusive Apple financing promotions, would've been ready for Pay at the getgo, but whatever. Better late that never.

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
Initial card verification and followup call to Navy Federal without error or long wait times. Now to go pay for something. :)

Weirdly, NFCU was saying "Later this month" for Apple Pay right up to midnight via Twitter. I wonder why the secrecy of a start date for a launch partner?

MacOSXI

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Still waiting for iTunes Radio in Europe... Not even thinking about getting Apple Pay anytime soon.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I don't know what good it does to have more banks come on board if the retailers don't support it. :confused:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I just can't wait for more stores i frequent to use nfc (at least in the states), especially the coffee shops, other fast food chains, and especially restaurants. There's not much I can use mobile payments with in my area except for the local Walgreens and MCdonalds. I saw someone in line in front of me used a starbucks card on their phone to pay. sigh...

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
My US Bank Credit Card is showing an incorrect card picture. It is just showing a generic gray US Bank card while my actual card is Blue.

pandacookie

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Barclaycard only makes sense. They do the financing for some Apple products, I do believe. RBS Citizens does the loans for Apple, and they told me on the Citizens Bank Facebook page that they are "working toward integration".

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I don't know what good it does to have more banks come on board if the retailers don't support it. :confused:

It does a lot of good, especially now while there rivalries at play. Credit card issuers want to keep their fees in place without being worked around by retailers. Getting on board with Apple Pay helps them do that, and in doing so they encourage more widespread adoption among consumers who then, in turn, demand it's availability from retailers. Banks that are on board are also more likely to spend advertising dollars and resources promoting Apple Pay (i.e. Wells Fargo). Getting more banks on board really does help, just not so obvious on the surface.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Let's see more retailers supporting it. More banks are pointless unless more retailers support Apple Pay, as it's relatively easy to change banks if they drag their feet. Not to mention that many of us have a non-bank-issued Amex card, which supports Apple Pay everywhere.

NoFunInBand

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Does anyone else have to call PNC to verify? I can't navigate their phone interface to save my life and have no idea where to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.