Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockyIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Los Angeles
Hey! I've been reading these forums for years, I finally signed up today to ask the following:

I received my iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Gold today. It's a Christmas present, so the plan is to bring the unopened box with me on a plane to Europe in December. Does anyone have any experience with being hassled by TSA officers over an unopened iPhone box? Will they ask you to open it, if it's in your hand luggage?

Would it be safer to put it in my suitcase? (damage/theft)

Thanks!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey! I've been reading these forums for years, I finally signed up today to ask the following:

I received my iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Gold today. It's a Christmas present, so the plan is to bring the unopened box with me on a plane to Europe in December. Does anyone have any experience with being hassled by TSA officers over an unopened iPhone box? Will they ask you to open it, if it's in your hand luggage?

Thanks!

Why would they ask you to open it? They can see it in the X-Ray machine, I don't see why that would be an issue.

I'm a frequent traveler and have brought all kinds of electronics on board. I see no issue bringing this through.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I would not recommend you put it in your checked luggage. Something that small and desirable has a higher probability of not being in that suitcase when you get back on the other side.

RockyIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm just worried that because it's in a sealed box, they'll suspect it's a threat of some sort and ask me to open it and turn it on. I guess an additional run through the X-ray machine will prove them wrong.

I'll definitely put it with my hand luggage then. Better be safe than sorry.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I would definitely not put a brand-new iPhone in checked luggage.

When you go through security, you are supposed to take all electronics out of your briefcases or purses, and have them scanned separately. In most cases, this is all they would ask for. But in theory, they can ask you to power up a device in front of them to prove that it is a working machine, although that rarely happens. I would definitely take such a risk over having it stolen from my checked luggage.

Worse case scenario is that your phone got unboxed at security. I am sure whoever receiving this gift would understand.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I would definitely not put a brand-new iPhone in checked luggage.

When you go through security, you are supposed to take all electronics out of your briefcases or purses, and have them scanned separately. In most cases, this is all they would ask for. But in theory, they can ask you to power up a device in front of them to prove that it is a working machine, although that rarely happens. I would definitely take such a risk over having it stolen from my checked luggage.

Worse case scenario is that your phone got unboxed at security. I am sure whoever receiving this gift would understand.
Phones, tablets, cameras are not required to be removed from bags.

Only laptops.

OP,
Shove in your carryon bag, leave it there.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
On my recent overseas trip they have asked me to power on all my personal devices in front of them, including my Macbook, iPhone, PS Vita, and Nexus 7.

Still, I echo the sentiment of not checking it, I had an iPad mini I won in Las Vegas mysteriously disappear from my checked luggage.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
FYI, on a trip to Italy my wife and I were one of the last people to get on the plane and on the skywalk we were informed there was no more room in the overhead and our luggage would need to be checked (free of charge as it was not our fault). OK, so before handing over our bags I quickly wrapped our digital cameras in socks and stuck them in one of the bags to reduce what I was carrying around. I think you can see where this is going. The cameras were gone when we picked up the bags in Italy. There were only four people watching me stuff the cameras in the bag and I'm sure it was one of them and not someone in Italy. My point is that you should never put anything of real value in your checked luggage.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Thanks!

As far as I know the US requires all electronic devices to be turned on through security now otherwise u have to leave ur device or u cannot board the plane. There are warnings all over the airport here.

Also u may get into trouble with European customs and they will ask u to pay 19+ tax or whatever if they think you bought it to sell it over here especially if it's still in its untouched packaging

nellysoap

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
I would just do carry on. I highly doubt they will have you open it. Thats what the xray machines are for.

MkVsTheWorld

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Baltimore
Still, I echo the sentiment of not checking it, I had an iPad mini I won in Las Vegas mysteriously disappear from my checked luggage.

+1 this. Just the other week, my friend's wife accidentally took his phone (Note 4) with her by mistake to the airport. She asked TSA if she could leave the phone with them for half an hour so he could drive back to the airport and get it. The TSA woman blatantly said "I wouldn't trust even leaving my own phone here. It'd be gone before your husband comes to get it." Pretty sad, right?

RockyIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Los Angeles
As far as I know the US requires all electronic devices to be turned on through security now otherwise u have to leave ur device or u cannot board the plane. There are warnings all over the airport here.

Also u may get into trouble with European customs and they will ask u to pay 19+ tax or whatever if they think you bought it to sell it over here especially if it's still in its untouched packaging

Wow, that sounds like a real hassle. Last time I travelled to Europe (July) they didn't check any of my devices (2 phones, 3ds and laptop). I'm glad I asked this question then. I guess I'll make a small cut in the plastic wrap before I leave, just in case they ask me to turn it on.

I'm not selling it, it's a Christmas present so I'd like to keep it sealed, but I certainly don't want to pick a fight with airport security!

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Thanks!

I know in the past, TSA use to have people turn on their laptops and cell phones, now they don't, so I think you're fine with your unopened box.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Phones are required to be powered on if you're on an international flight to the United States:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

I think the OP should be OK when going to Europe, though.

Wow, that sounds like a real hassle. Last time I travelled to Europe (July) they didn't check any of my devices (2 phones, 3ds and laptop). I'm glad I asked this question then. I guess I'll make a small cut in the plastic wrap before I leave, just in case they ask me to turn it on.

I'm not selling it, it's a Christmas present so I'd like to keep it sealed, but I certainly don't want to pick a fight with airport security!

MkVsTheWorld is, and I believe bushido also is, talking about flights TO the US.

You'll be fine leaving - and as a tourist, I've never had a European customs officer ask to see what I'm carrying.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I would definitely take it as a carry on, but there's a chance you will have to open it and scan it separately. Five years ago I was on a flight from DC to Tokyo and I was bringing a sealed Mac mini back for a colleague. They made me open it and scan just the mini separately from everything else. But that's much better than it getting stolen or damaged in your checked luggage. I'm actually doing the same thing with a 6 later this year and my experience with the mini got me thinking about it, but this time I won't be traveling to or from the US.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op honestly I really wouldn't be too surprised if they asked to open it and turn the device on. Sure it will go through the X-ray machine but depending on the guard at the airport it may be 50/50.

Essa86

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Differently do not put it in your suitcase. Couple of my friends did in the past and it was stolen.
I personally travelled with couple iPhones in my trolley bag in the past. I passed TSA With no questions asked. I believe it's the safest way to do it

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm just worried that because it's in a sealed box, they'll suspect it's a threat of some sort and ask me to open it and turn it on. I guess an additional run through the X-ray machine will prove them wrong.

I'll definitely put it with my hand luggage then. Better be safe than sorry.

How will the X-ray know it's sealed?

drubie

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Last edited:

RockyIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Los Angeles
How will the X-ray know it's sealed?

It won't, but it will show a box with an iPhone inside of it. They might ask me to take it out and open it, which will reveal an unopened box with an unused iPhone inside.

Just came back from Europe 3 weeks ago and did not have to turn my phone on. Only had to send thru the machine.

Sounds promising. Hope I get the same treatment!

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
It's somewhat recent for them to ask this, they actually state online that any electronics you bring must be able to be powered up to check that they work. Especially on international flights

Well, that's not the same as them actually asking as you pass security. Have you experienced it or seen it happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.