Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Wow, that sounds like a real hassle. Last time I travelled to Europe (July) they didn't check any of my devices (2 phones, 3ds and laptop). I'm glad I asked this question then. I guess I'll make a small cut in the plastic wrap before I leave, just in case they ask me to turn it on.

I'm not selling it, it's a Christmas present so I'd like to keep it sealed, but I certainly don't want to pick a fight with airport security!

Two years ago, when I flew from Frankfurt to Singapore, the security blokes didn't check my devices (I was in the priority lane for first/business class passengers). In the other lane for economy class passengers, they were all asked to turn on their devices to prove that it was working though.

So generally, YMMV regardless of whether you're heading to/away from the US or not.

Purple skier

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
I was worried about this as i was traveling home to London from New York my iPhone's roaming is switched off and I use my iPhone on wifi only turned it off put in hand baggage went through security no problem :apple:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Would it be safer to put it in my suitcase? (damage/theft)

As said above definitely do not put it in your checked in luggage. Although the TSA is getting stricter now in terms of making you power on your devices its kind of a "random" process, I was traveling with my family and only 1 of the 4 of us had to turn on all our devices the others walked through with no issues

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hey! I've been reading these forums for years, I finally signed up today to ask the following:

I received my iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Gold today. It's a Christmas present, so the plan is to bring the unopened box with me on a plane to Europe in December. Does anyone have any experience with being hassled by TSA officers over an unopened iPhone box? Will they ask you to open it, if it's in your hand luggage?

Would it be safer to put it in my suitcase? (damage/theft)

Thanks!
Don't put it in your suitcase. I just had some electronics stolen from my Suitcase on a Flight from Toronto to London. When I contacted the airline they pointed me to the small print in their terms and conditions which says not to put any electronics in your checked luggage.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Highly unlikely that you'll find yourself in that situation.

You would be surprised... Coming from the USA they stop you most of the times, at least here in Amsterdam. If they open your luggage and see a sealed iPhone you can bet they'll make you pay custom taxes for it

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
i would just open my present set it up and enjoy the moment of un-boxing an early Christmas present than doing so under duress should it come to that at the air terminal

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You would be surprised... Coming from the USA they stop you most of the times, at least here in Amsterdam. If they open your luggage and see a sealed iPhone you can bet they'll make you pay custom taxes for it

Of course they would stop you and ask you what you are entering the country for. Are you saying that it is common for customs to open your suitcase and go through your items as an American entering the EU in Amsterdam? From my experience and knowledge in other EU member countries, that would be highly unusual.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Of course they would stop you and ask you what you are entering the country for. Are you saying that it is common for customs to open your suitcase and go through your items as an American entering the EU in Amsterdam? From my experience and knowledge in other EU member countries, that would be highly unusual.

Well, if they see a sealed box inside they will force you to pay taxes over it. If the box is opened then it's impossible for them to know that the intention is for a gift.

LeanneLand

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
FYI, on a trip to Italy my wife and I were one of the last people to get on the plane and on the skywalk we were informed there was no more room in the overhead and our luggage would need to be checked (free of charge as it was not our fault). OK, so before handing over our bags I quickly wrapped our digital cameras in socks and stuck them in one of the bags to reduce what I was carrying around. I think you can see where this is going. The cameras were gone when we picked up the bags in Italy. There were only four people watching me stuff the cameras in the bag and I'm sure it was one of them and not someone in Italy. My point is that you should never put anything of real value in your checked luggage.

This is crazy! What airline were you flying with?

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
My girlfriend's parents flew in last month and brought her a MacBook Air as an early Christmas present. Airport security made them remove the shrink wrap, take it out of the box and power it on. This was on a domestic flight within Canada, a flight that is considered so low-risk that you don't even need a passport.

Rules for personal electronic devices may be different than for laptops, but I know that for some flight routes they are asking people to power on their iPhones and iPads at security, so it's hard to give a definitive answer.

maryamtdl

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
I would not recommend you put it in your checked luggage. Something that small and desirable has a higher probability of not being in that suitcase when you get back on the other side.
[doublepost=1554607142][/doublepost]This is so true! I just came back from Orlandoto to Atlanta. I left my personal cellphone in my suitcase that I checked in, thinking it is safe there. When I open my suitcase in Atlanta my cellphone wasn’t there. Who might have taken my iPhone? A security officer?!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.