Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polocanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I have a home router SmartRG (connected to DSL) + an Apple Airport (connected to SmartRG in Bridge mode)

For some reason when I connect devices such as Android tablet or iPad I can't get connectivity to internet even though they devices connect to router without problem.

Both tablets connecting to Apple Airport.

I noticed the reason is the SmartRG router doesn't pass the DNS information via Apple Airport to the tablet. So I have to change the setting on the tablet from DHCP to Static and select the DNS (Open DNS or Google DNS). That resolves the problem.

However why doesn't SmartRG router pass the DNS information through Apple Airport along to the tablet? When I add new network to tablet it connects the Apple Airport router and selects DHCP. (When I go and change the DHCP to Static DNS, the field for DNS shows the router address, so I assume DHCP would just let the router determine the DNS).

In SmartRG router (connected to Internet) I have already checked and configured it to use the Static DNS (Open DNS or Google DNS). (Advanced Setup /DNS)

I have Macbook attached to Apple Airport and connection works, but I did manually set the DNS in the networking settings in Macbook.

Adding DNS in client device works as a workaround and I don't see a problem, however, I am wondering why is this happening.

Is this normal that I would need to add DNS address to client devices?

I haven't noticed this before. I have made changes long time ago to router settings but I don't remember what. It has been about 1 year and I haven't rebooted the router till now. I rebooted it and now I noticed the issue. So I assume I could have made some change before and it wasn't loaded till reboot now.

Perhaps I am just missing something here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that Apple's Airport does not work in bridge mode when used in conjunction to other non-apple routers. I found this out by trying to do this myself, i.e., could not connect to the internet with the apple airport.

A lot of googling and help seemed to point me in that direction.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that Apple's Airport does not work in bridge mode when used in conjunction to other non-apple routers.

that's extend mode that doesn't work with other routers.
(extend mode is where the airport grabs the wireless from the main base, and then repeats it so that devices that are outside of the coverage of the main base can get signal)

bridge mode works.
(bridge mode is where the express gets it's internet connection over a cable, and then puts it out wirelessly. each wireless device appears as it's own unique device on the wired side of the network)

"create a wireless network" is router mode. the express gets it's internet connection over a cable, but your wireless devices are on a separate network from the wired network. The wired side sees the wireless devices as one device (the express).

------

you may have to fill in the DNS settings in the airport. i don't have acess to mine at the moment, but looking at this picture, there is a space to fill in the DNS settings.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Simplest way to fix it would probably to do a reset on the Airport (paper clip in the hole by the power cord) and then start fresh. The airport should be in bridge mode, basically just making it a switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.