Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kepti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I want to address some issues I came up with a case manufacturer called Vaja.

My experience in short:

I lost 154,20 dollars for Vaja and I was left with not a single product in my hand.

One could also say that their case did not protect my iPhone 6 when I dropped it. So I ended up paying 300 euros to replace it, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, let me go in to the full story.

I ordered a Vaja Wallet Pelle iPhone 6 Leather Cover for my phone 15th of September. I received my case on 7th of October. I paid 124 dollars in total (including shipment to the Netherlands) for this case.

Fairly quickly I noticed that the case does not hold my phone in it. The "sticky" phone holder was not strong enough and I almost dropped my phone when opening the wallet case. This, however, luckily did not happen.

I complained to Vaja and got a response stating the following:

"That is ok. We will release a new design, similiar to the Agenda Wallet we already have for the iPhone 6 Plus,but for the iPhone 6. This has a grip as a base which does not have any sort of adhesive at all and adjusts to the phone back perfectly.
So , if you want, we can produce one of these cases specially for you, and send it once ready, so you can have this new model. This may take some days since we need to produce a new case.
There will not be any need to send this item back (but if you cannot get it fixed to your device's back, we would suggest stop using it, just in case)"

So basically they agreed that there is a problem with the product and they would send me another one, Wallet Agenda. I stopped using the previous case, because it was obvious that it is broken, and threw the it to garbage.

Then, after waiting for couple of weeks for the new Wallet Agenda case I received it. This time, the iPhone was indeed holding in, but something else happened. By my own mistake, I dropped the phone to the floor while it was inside the wallet case. And the screen was completely shattered.

So I needed to have a replacement iPhone from Apple for a fair price of 300 euros. I contacted Vaja once again to tell about my experience, that their case did not protect my phone at all. I did not blame them though, it was completely my own mistake, but I asked to have a refund after I send back the new case.

They agreed:

"As an exception this only time, we will accept the case back as a return, for a case price refund, no matter it is in used and marked condition."

So immediately after I proceeded and headed to the post office to send the case back to Miami, FL, USA. The postage costed me 24,30 euros (30,20 usd).

After I had shipped the package I got another email from Vaja:

"Please be so kind as to include the original Wallet Pelle case together with the Agenda in the package, since our Product Department needs them both for analysis."

I had already sent out the latest case and did not even have the original, broken, case any more. So I ignored the message.

I was tracking the delivery and some days after I noticed it had arrived to Miami, I contacted Vaja again to ask, where my refund is. This is what I got from them:

"Our Return Department informed that only one case was returned,
Bear in mind that as required you should send both cases we sent to you (original and replacement) to be able to issue a refund."

I tried to argue and told them that they were 1) late for asking to include the original, broken, case 2) they had already told me earlier that I don't need to return the original, broken, case 3) they had agreed that it is broken.

This was their last message to me. After this they would simply stop discussing the matter with me:

"Oh, yes, it was a must, that is why we required it.
Unfortunately, without that item,we cannot issue a refund, since that was even the original product detailed in the order returned."

So here I am, 154,20 US dollars short because of this company. Please be very aware of what you purchase.

LFCYNWA

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
be prepared for two types of responses for this thread.

1) it's your fault....blah..blah..blah, it's not an otterbox....etc

2) that sucks....you should.....blah...blah....blah, thanks for the info, I won't order....etc

now sit back and watch

dance monkeys dance

Reactions: Doc Evils

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Have you tried ringing them up (not sure if they have a phone number) - ask to speak to a supervisor.

If I were you I'd chargeback with your bank explain the situation since they said you didn't need to keep the broken case and never said you needed to return the original case for a refund. Not great customer service at all, they're just trying to keep hold of your money. :mad:

oxbabypoohxo

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Yep charge back! You have the emails as proof.

(if they offer you no other help)

I learned to never buy anything new that I've never tried before without the use of a 3rd party website (amazon, ebay). Because if anything like this happens, they will always back you up and get you the refund. :)

Sorry for the loss!

Eric5964

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Southeast Michigan
My experience with Vaja cases has been great, and I love mine. Give up on the wallet cases for a phone (talking into a wallet?), and don't drop them!

EricE

Kepti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks for your support guys.

I tried to make a Paypal claim, but I was unable as it is over 45 days from the original money transaction (original case purchased on 7th of October).

I do not see if there is much to do...

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
You'd think for a company based in Florida they could get someone
that speaks decent English to do their customer service emails. That's just plain unprofessional. That's on top of just screwing this guys out of the money. They even acknowledged the first case was flawed in it's design, what is there to inspect? For a company selling phone cases for north of $100 you'd expect a lot better service than this.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
this is very spooky; i just received a notification my Vaja Grip is on its way whilst reading this thread, from never never land at long last:( Fingers xed

what a terrible experience & all that $$ for nothing!:mad:

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I fail to see how this is Vaja's fault...

Nowhere do they advertise that their case is designed to military drop specifications or anything like that. If they had, then I would be more empathetic.

But if they said both of their cases needed to be returned, it shouldn't have been a problem. You should've held onto the original case while going through their customer service. Many companies require the damaged/defective case to be returned if you're getting an exception to their normal replacement policy.

Reactions: MisterMillz

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Share your story on Facebook, Twitter, bbb and everywhere else that you can be heard.
Also if you funded your Paypal purchase with a credit card I'd still look into a chargeback.

I personally wouldn't have thrown away the first case but they need to make if right if everything is as you said

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I fail to see how this is Vaja's fault...

Nowhere do they advertise that their case is designed to military drop specifications or anything like that. If they had, then I would be more empathetic.

But if they said both of their cases needed to be returned, it shouldn't have been a problem. You should've held onto the original case while going through their customer service. Many companies require the damaged/defective case to be returned if you're getting an exception to their normal replacement policy.

But they specifically told the OP that they need not return the first case, as they acknowledged it was a defect in manufacturing.

I would say to contact Paypal over the phone, let them know what happened, and see if they can do something about it. And if they can't, then Vaja should send the returned case back to the OP if they're not providing a refund.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
But they specifically told the OP that they need not return the first case, as they acknowledged it was a defect in manufacturing.

I would say to contact Paypal over the phone, let them know what happened, and see if they can do something about it. And if they can't, then Vaja should send the returned case back to the OP if they're not providing a refund.

That's not what I read. (I admit, my reading comprehension may have been off as I had to cut my reply short and take a coworker to the ER, and I'll go reread the OP later tonight when I have time).

What I read above is during the original complaint about the case (before having received the 2nd one) that they wouldn't need to return the first case for them to send out the 2nd case. But then AFTER getting the second case, the damage happened and he complained and wanted a refund. They agreed to do so on on the conditions that he return BOTH at that time. We don't know the time between the message from Vaja saying they'd make *another* exception and accept a return for the refund and the follow up requesting both cases be returned. If it was a day or two, then I'd understand the OP's frustration. If it were minutes or an hour or so, that is just sucky timing if he really packed up the case and shipped it off before receiving the request to send both.

Two separate escalations, which required different return processes. He didn't need to return the original case in order to get the 2nd, but he did need to return both in order to get refunded after getting the 2nd case and -at no fault of Vaja's- the phone broke. If he still has any remnant of the original case (even just the box and leather sleeve they include) maybe Vaja would accept it and refund still. Yeah, he'd lose some more money due to having to ship a 2nd package, but he'd still recover a majority of the money.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've purchased vaja cases back in the day of PDAs and generally was pleased with them. I did have one run in with CS that left a bad taste in my mouth. They do seem resistant to providing help or acknowledging that something is wrong.

Kepti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
That's not what I read. (I admit, my reading comprehension may have been off as I had to cut my reply short and take a coworker to the ER, and I'll go reread the OP later tonight when I have time).

What I read above is during the original complaint about the case (before having received the 2nd one) that they wouldn't need to return the first case for them to send out the 2nd case. But then AFTER getting the second case, the damage happened and he complained and wanted a refund. They agreed to do so on on the conditions that he return BOTH at that time. We don't know the time between the message from Vaja saying they'd make *another* exception and accept a return for the refund and the follow up requesting both cases be returned. If it was a day or two, then I'd understand the OP's frustration. If it were minutes or an hour or so, that is just sucky timing if he really packed up the case and shipped it off before receiving the request to send both.

Two separate escalations, which required different return processes. He didn't need to return the original case in order to get the 2nd, but he did need to return both in order to get refunded after getting the 2nd case and -at no fault of Vaja's- the phone broke. If he still has any remnant of the original case (even just the box and leather sleeve they include) maybe Vaja would accept it and refund still. Yeah, he'd lose some more money due to having to ship a 2nd package, but he'd still recover a majority of the money.

Hi there,

I would like to state the following again: At any point I did not blame Vaja for what happened to my iPhone when I dropped it. I only issued my concerns about how well do they actually cover the phone when this happens.

It took them one day to tell me to include the original case with the package. I did not have it anymore, as they had said it is broken and I absolutely saw no reasons to save it. And if I did have, that would had required me to send another package to Miami, costing me another 30 dollars.

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Hi there,

I would like to state the following again: At any point I did not blame Vaja for what happened to my iPhone when I dropped it. I only issued my concerns about how well do they actually cover the phone when this happens.

It took them one day to tell me to include the original case with the package. I did not have it anymore, as they had said it is broken and I absolutely saw no reasons to save it. And if I did have, that would had required me to send another package to Miami, costing me another 30 dollars.

After that one day you should have expressed your concern about the fact that you no longer had the original case and had already sent in your 2nd case by the time they sent you the follow up email requesting it. Instead, you said you ignored that email.

I'm sorry for playing devil's advocate. But I can see both sides of this, and I think we as consumers have gotten too entitled in our thinking that companies should be willing to eat the cost no matter if they are at fault for anything.

Without photographic or video proof of the original case being defective they allowed you an exception and sent you a whole new case without sending the original back. Then, after you broke your phone and expressed concern that their 2nd case didn't protect it enough they made another exception and said they'd allow a refund. Both parties could've handled it better. Vaja could've requested both cases in the same email that they agreed to refund. And Kepti, you could've contacted them the moment they requested both cases letting them know that wasn't possible at that time, instead of ignoring it and just waiting to see if they still refunded once they got just the one case.

Ultimately, it sounds as if there are two non-native languages being used in the communications between Vaja and Kepti, and a third being used on this forum. I think that may be adding to ineffective communication. I'm sorry if I come off rudely, I just don't think posting a rant for your very first time on here, along with the same exact post in the Apple Support website, adds any credibility to the issue at hand when both you and Vaja are to blame for ineffective communication. Best of luck coming to a resolution.

For what it's worth, the Vaja Grip LP and Vaja Grip Pique I bought for my wife's 6+ are excellently made. I am eagerly awaiting my bridge Pique Grip for my 6.

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
I can not defend their customer service, but their cases are magnificent. I have ordered 6 since September and they are all gorgeous. I've never seen another case so nice.

Kepti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
I can not defend their customer service, but their cases are magnificent. I have ordered 6 since September and they are all gorgeous. I've never seen another case so nice.

Yes indeed, even though I faced a huge lag in their customer service skills, I can say that the two cases I received from them were nice looking and quality-build. Even though the first one did not hold the phone inside and the other one did not protect my iPhone.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I do agree that the OP should have responded to the email asking for both cases back instead of ignoring it. Either way, Vaja should send you the second case back or refund you.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Sorry to revive old thread. But I pre-ordered a beautiful looking sleeve from Vaja for my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro. While it shipped on time it is now stuck in Argentina. FedEx says it is in an “exception” state due to size. It is a 12.9” sleeve for God’s sake!!! Vaja’s packaging and shipping designation must be at fault.

It has not moved for days. I have sent several emails to Vaja and all they say is I should be receiving it today. In checking with FedEx they say the automated report system is not correct. It is indeed stuck overseas. I have asked Vaja for a refund as I don’t ever seeing this delivered. I have asked them to do more than quote the erroneous FedEx report that it would be delivered today. I’ll be at my bank tomorrow seeking a reverse charge. BTW their web site communication page sucks. It looks more like a phishing site, and most of the time I cannot get my browser to work with it even with blockers turned off.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
For the prices they charge, they should offer better solutions regarding customer experience

So this morning Vaja says it is a general delay for all packages. This does not seem correct as FedEx website reports that the package is :

Shipment exception
Exceeds Service Limits - Oversized

I've contacted my bank, but the process will take some time to get a refund. I can still accept the package and cancel the refund should Vaja get the package out of the "Limbo" level:confused:

0*bXA8NK7TDJz8ossQ.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 165

MacFromWindowsGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2019
Vaja is a very poor company to deal with. I spent about $300 on my macbook pro case and it came broken. When I reported it to Vaja they 1st blamed it on me then they agreed to replace it but they wanted to charge me $29.00 to ship the replacement. After agreeing and paying the $29 they never shipped the new case. It's been 3 months since I paid he shipping so I've decided to dispute all my credit card charges. Stay away from this company at all costs.
[doublepost=1564765310][/doublepost]If there's anyone out there who has experience with leather and plastic, I may be willing to help finance a company that competes with them.

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.