Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfreak101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hey,

I am having some sort of storage issue with my mac. When the storage in use is 77gb in actual, finder and disk utility and all are showing it as 99gb. I even tried turning the time machine off and tried this "sudo tmutil disablelocal" in terminal and still there is no change.TimeMachine is also turned off but the something is eating almost 22gb up.

Here are a few screenshots
What does this seem like?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.46.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.46.39 AM.png
    771.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.47.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.47.09 AM.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.47.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.47.26 AM.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.48.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.48.03 AM.png
    552.9 KB · Views: 85

macfreak101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I think you're worrying about something (again) that isn't worth worrying about.

Time Machine includes what's known as local snapshots, so this 22gb is most likely that.

As I mentioned I don't use time machine and it's turned off. I don't come here and post things because of I have extra time, I only come when there's a genuine problem. It's my hard luck that I'm facing so many of them

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Another option which is more comprehensive is to use this terminal command
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think you are fine. That app and others like it cannot see all the hidden and system files that use space, so the numbers are always off.

Run that Terminal command maflynn gave you to see a real shot of what is going on.

Code:
sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Or, you can run this command to launch Omni from Terminal and give it admin rights to see all those files. It still misses some though.

Here is mine with a regular Omni run.

kXHgtKj.png

...and here it is run as sudo. See the difference.

oYBttbB.png

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
What programs do you have installed on your MBP? Certain programs like Photoshop will create a scratch disk to temporarily write data to/from. That may be what is taking up that mysterious 22gb of space.

macfreak101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I think you are fine. That app and others like it cannot see all the hidden and system files that use space, so the numbers are always off.

Run that Terminal command maflynn gave you to see a real shot of what is going on.

Code:
sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Or, you can run this command to launch Omni from Terminal and give it admin rights to see all those files. It still misses some though.

Here is mine with a regular Omni run.

...and here it is run as sudo. See the difference.

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Another option which is more comprehensive is to use this terminal command
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

I'm using omnidisk sweeper only. Thanks that command solved my problem.
There was something wrong with my disk and it told me to go in recovery mode and repair it , now it seems to be fine. There like a 3-4gb difference but I guess thats normal.
Thanks a ton :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.