Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taelan28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
I sit on my reclining sofa or lay on my bed all the time for power sessions with my macbook, Xbox, and PSVita. Its killing my back. My spine is getting a perma arch and the muscles are getting tense one way and too loose in another. I dont even sit up straight any more eating a meal. Its pretty bad.

What do you sit on for power sessions? Is there any better chair I can sit on to have sustainable posture? Certainly having a screen above my shoulders and not on my knees would help.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I sit on my reclining sofa or lay on my bed all the time for power sessions with my macbook, Xbox, and PSVita. Its killing my back. My spine is getting a perma arch and the muscles are getting tense one way and too loose in another. I dont even sit up straight any more eating a meal. Its pretty bad.

What do you sit on for power sessions? Is there any better chair I can sit on to have sustainable posture? Certainly having a screen above my shoulders and not on my knees would help.

I actually stand up... even when gaming for long hours on my XB1 I stand.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I sit at a desk, with my MBP hooked up to an external monitor.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I sit anywhere. It sounds like you need to strengthen your body then it won't be a problem. One handed chin ups ok two handed lying on the floor with a broom between two chairs will do, handstands free standing or against a wall, dips between the two chairs, step ups on a chair, lots of situps. Do them in-between your gaming breaks and soon you won't have any pain. A strong body allows any pain to dissipate before it cause a problem.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I suppose there's always the standing office idea. Haven't tried it myself but my boss from an internship last summer has used it for a couple of years and genuinely likes it.

Me? At home I sit on the couch with my MBP in my lap when what I'm doing is mostly writing, reading and watching (programming, writing documentation/reports, surfing the web, watching videos, etc.). When I'm also working with pen and paper (still the best way to do math), playing games (all trackpads suck for gaming and having both a controller and a laptop in your lap at the same time doesn't work) or doing graphics work.

So how do I beat my legs going numb? Simple, I get up every 30-minutes to 1 hour and stroll around the apartment. When I'm working that isn't even a big interruption as I time it with something I need to think about.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Get a proper desk chair. Comfortable, supportive of good posture, and relatively inexpensive. Mine was something like $180 at Office Depot.

Also +1 for a fellow Vita owner. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.