Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Some years ago it looked like Windows for touch devices was dead and it was a two horse race: Android and iOS.

I've always hated Android. The reason is simple: it's a POS copy of iOS... like a cheap Chinese knockoff. Really, let's call it for what it is. Grid of icons, blah blah. There's hardly any difference in the way the OSes function. But in practice, Android has the following issues compared to iOS:

1. It's less refined. Everything seems loose and disjointed.
2. The design is outright terrible. Settings for instance. The fonts, the white space... the ugly icons... brutal.
3. The Apps. Again, cheap chinese knockoff of iOS Apps.
4. Performance. Again, cheap chinese knockoff of iOS. Just try pinching and zooming and scrolling. Chop chop chop.
5. Usability. Compared to iOS it's not as easy to use and enters into the world of geek.

I design and develop software for a living. I take a lot of pride in doing it, like others. Android is simply a cheap chinese knockoff of iOS, whereas Windows is completely unique. As others have seen, I've been putting the Surface Pro 3 through its paces. Windows 8 Touch blows Android away. Just the pinching and zooming and scrolling is excellent on Windows 8... like iOS. The uniqueness of the OS, the multi-tasking, Web browsing, quality App experience. It's all there in Windows.

Android simply doesn't seem to have evolved much like it's stuck. I wonder if others feel the same as me and if Android will start to fade and Windows gain ground.

The staleness of Android really hit home with me when I played with a Samsung Tablet in FutureShop over at the lonely Samsung section. I picked it up, touched the screen, and there we go: the same old, tired Android staring at you. It was depressing coming from a Surface Pro 3, something that gives me, in my opinion, such a more rich, deep computing experience.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK you are entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is. Its certainly not factual. Regardless I'll put this thread on a moderators attention as I presume it will turn messy fast.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
OK you are entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is. Its certainly not factual. Regardless I'll put this thread on a moderators attention as I presume it will turn messy fast.

First not factual? Performance is certainly factual. Second, what the hell does "factual" have to do with anything? This is an Internet forum to DISCUSS things. This isn't a court of law. Get a grip.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First not factual? Performance is certainly factual. Second, what the hell does "factual" have to do with anything? This is an Internet forum to DISCUSS things. This isn't a court of law. Get a grip.
Yes factual.

Claiming every android device has performance issues, every android app is a 'cheap Chinese knockoff', and the rest of your what can only be described as dramatics are merely shallow opinion and not a true representation of the many variations of android.

1 bad experience with a Samsung tablet does not constitute a full picture, but merely represents 1 poor device. Assuming that it is anything other than that, is merely a combination of ignorance and arrogance and narrow mindness.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
And what exactly is your question?

Or do you just needed to brag about something to feel better?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Yep, another one of these
Funny-moving-animated-picture-of-a-pointer-in-the-eye.gif

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
And what exactly is your question?

Or do you just needed to brag about something to feel better?

He seems to be looking for: "such a more rich, deep computing experience"
Thanks for the laugh, and to be sure the laughs to come in this thread. :rolleyes:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Some years ago it looked like Windows for touch devices was dead and it was a two horse race: Android and iOS.

I've always hated Android. The reason is simple: it's a POS copy of iOS... like a cheap Chinese knockoff. Really, let's call it for what it is. Grid of icons, blah blah. There's hardly any difference in the way the OSes function. But in practice, Android has the following issues compared to iOS:

2. The design is outright terrible. Settings for instance. The fonts, the white space... the ugly icons... brutal.
4. Performance. Again, cheap chinese knockoff of iOS. Just try pinching and zooming and scrolling. Chop chop chop.
5. Usability. Compared to iOS it's not as easy to use and enters into the world of geek.

I design and develop software for a living. I take a lot of pride in doing it, like others. Android is simply a cheap chinese knockoff of iOS, whereas Windows is completely unique. As others have seen, I've been putting the Surface Pro 3 through its paces. Windows 8 Touch blows Android away. Just the pinching and zooming and scrolling is excellent on Windows 8... like iOS. The uniqueness of the OS, the multi-tasking, Web browsing, quality App experience. It's all there in Windows.

Android simply doesn't seem to have evolved much like it's stuck. I wonder if others feel the same as me and if Android will start to fade and Windows gain ground.

The staleness of Android really hit home with me when I played with a Samsung Tablet in FutureShop over at the lonely Samsung section. I picked it up, touched the screen, and there we go: the same old, tired Android staring at you. It was depressing coming from a Surface Pro 3, something that gives me, in my opinion, such a more rich, deep computing experience.

I'm a big windows fan, but I can't really stomach the nonsense you put forward about Android. There is quite a bit different in Android versus iOS, one huge example is widgets. I do agree though that Android is quite stale, not as stale as iOS, but definitely stale. These consumption OS' just don't do anything for me and I will never ever buy one again over a windows tablet.

But seriously, if you want a mature discussion you need to not present yourself as a troll or get ready to be flamed. Even though I personally don't prefer android or iOS for a tablet there are many out there who do and you are not going to convince them by trying to tell them how superior you are.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Windows phone is kinda redundant, android is kinda the opposite.

Enjoy your redundant phone.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

So you play with touchwiz and assume touchwiz = android.

OK.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Why would I use Android when iOS is so superior? My point is that Windows offers more than Android and is unique. Android is simply not unique at all. It's just a copy of iOS.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I've played with my dad's S5 and you can say many things about Android: that it's ugly (although that can be changed with a variety of skins and launchers), not as intuitive as iOS, etc. But one thing about Android: it is NOT the same as iOS and it annoys the crap out of me when people say it "copied" iOS. There are some similarities but Android basically treats your phone as a computer. It expects you to organize files, find your own attachments, and so on. It expects you to go to the app store and download the apps you need. It expects you to move around files to the right folders. Middling computer knowledge is necessary to operate an Android device. They don't do the work for you. I think when people complain about Android not being user-friendly, this is what they're talking about -- Android treats the user as someone who is used to operating a computer.

iOS works right out of the box. It doesn't really have a file/attachment system because why would you want to attach anything that's not a photo/video? It kind of does the raw computing work for you. That's why I recommend iOS for kids, or people who might not be that computer savvy. It's undoubtedly more user-friendly and intuitive.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Which version of Android are you referring to? As much as I love Apple, I can't possibly say that iOS 7/8 (Apple's redesign) looks better than Android 5.0. Google knocked it out the park from a design perspective. Heck, they haven't even had a chance to tweak the design yet because its been all about fixing bugs right now.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Why would I use Android when iOS is so superior? My point is that Windows offers more than Android and is unique. Android is simply not unique at all. It's just a copy of iOS.

Interesting theory. If Android is a copy of iOS, yet iOS copies Android features with every OS update, would that make iOS a copy of a copy?

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
-Android is a grid of icons with fairly fixed App views.
-iOS is a grid of icons with fairly fixed App views.
-Windows uses tiles and multitasks in its own unique way. Also, Windows Apps are "infinite" from right to left. That's right. No fixed cards for Apps. You can scroll off to the right or left to reveal more UI and content. It's a completely new and totally different experience. If you don't know what I'm talking about, open the Weather App on a SP3 or something and gesture to the left.

Windows is unique in many respects. There is nothing different from Android and iOS other than: geek.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Vamian, is that you? :D

You sound like either a Windows rep. or a person who I have seen in another forum, doing the very same thing.

This is going to be very entertaining, if more people bother to entertain the conversation.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

I also think that market share for windows will increase
Unfortunately bit fountain isn't offering a course yet

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can see Windows 10 solving the "Google Problem" Microsoft is currently encountering in mobile.

A scalable unified architecture ensures that Windows 10 won't be as app starved and will simply bypass the need for Google specific Apps altogether.

There are problems with this as well, but a Surface Phablet would certainly get the industry's attention.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
OP - Surely you can recognise that each OS copies good features off each other, and that there are many features that iOS has taken from Android?

-Android is a grid of icons with fairly fixed App views.
-iOS is a grid of icons with fairly fixed App views.
-Windows uses tiles and multitasks in its own unique way. Also, Windows Apps are "infinite" from right to left. That's right. No fixed cards for Apps. You can scroll off to the right or left to reveal more UI and content. It's a completely new and totally different experience. If you don't know what I'm talking about, open the Weather App on a SP3 or something and gesture to the left.

Windows is unique in many respects. There is nothing different from Android and iOS other than: geek.

Android uses a grid interface for the home screen because that's a good (simple + intuitive) interface for a small screen touch device. I think most people don't care that it's basically the same as iOS.

Windows does have a unique take on the home screen, but so what? Being unique is only a good thing if it brings functional benefits. Personally, I don't think the Windows home screen interface brings significant functional benefits over the Android home screen. You might point to Windows live tiles, but I prefer the richer experience that Android widgets offer over the limited content available in live tiles.

As regard to the left-right scroll functionality within Windows 8 apps (and the pivot functionality in Windows phone apps), again I can appreciate that people may like the uniqueness of the design, but I don't feel it provides a significant functional improvement. In Android & iOS I'm happy pulling up a menu and then clicking on a link to the section of the app that I want to get to (two taps is not particularly arduous and the compartmentalised nature of this UI is closer to the way I prefer to organise information).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.