Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So reading back on last years thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1690080/

I think to floss more was the most popular!

So are you making any if so what are they?

I've put weight on again this year, despite eating more healthy. (Ive been seeing the Doctor about that one)
My alcohol has dropped a little on last year. I drink about once a week. Not that much.

So I'd like to find a new job this year and travel more for the photography I do.

So what are yours?

xMacFeinx

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Seattle, WA
I got a gym membership and started working out 6 months ago, so that when I made it my New Years Resolution I already had the ball going; and wouldn't be disappointed if I missed a day or two in the gym. Which brings me to my resolution..

Step my gym game up. Been going 3 to 4 days a week. I want 5 days a week, a full hour+ of exercise. Its a realistic goal that I KNOW I can do.

My other resolution would be to put others before myself. And thats something I need to majorly work on.

Happy Holidays..

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Find a job/way to make money, get straight a's, get into shape, win at least one music competition, compose a piece, and get good at digital art.

(i don't expect even one to come true)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I normally don’t make new year’s resolutions, IMO I’m nearly perfect so why mess about.

But because of something my youngest granddaughter said over christmas, I’m going to break a habit of a lifetime.

From now on I will not say something is **** or ****, if it’s just not my taste, or I’m not the target audience.:eek:

This is not to say that I will have to like Hip Hop or the Twilight movies but I will refrain from negative comments.;)

This of course does not cover Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston movies which are not only **** but also **** and are worthy of my undying hatred. :cool:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I have historically never made a New Year's Eve Resolution. I think they're silly and usually beyond reasonable expectations.
However..

I am cutting the TV portion of Cable this year.
It's time. In the past it was hard to do with family members dedicated to that darn clicker.

It's not actually the content ( or lack thereof ) on TV. It's more of a habitual ritual of sitting there holding a device that can allow one to watch something that gives them instant pleasure.

Now with all the streaming services out there I'm gonna cut it and hope people get used to a different kind of "clicker"

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I think I was one of the ones mentioning flossing. Didn't do so great at that because I still have my wisdom teeth so it's difficult, but I think I stand a much better chance this year.

Until posting my thing last year, I didn't really keep resolutions, but just putting the resolutions out there, really helped. I saw measurable improvement. So I'll be doing this again.

My main resolution & heart's desire was to draw. every. day. Mostly did pretty well with that one, except for a couple existential crises "--Why draw? Why draw at all?" (Like the past couple days :rolleyes:) Mostly this was digital and there has been a noted improvement in learning several different digital graphics apps, so yay. It worked, helped a lot.

Expected to have dabbled more in 3D, but no.

Hoped to read more. Yes! That happened. Very pleased with that.

Hoped to extend my ability to focus. Recently found an old Logic Puzzle book and my brain isn't as horribly fuzzy as it was over the past 5 or 6 years, so improvement there too. Yay.

So for 2015: Be kinder (I like that one from citizenzen), keep drawing every day, floss more, keep reading more, focus more, try 10 3D tuts. Throw out more stuff.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'd like to not eat out as often. It's not an issue of needing to lose weight I just spend a toooooon of money eating out that I could put toward more vacations or toys. :)

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
Here are mine:

- I've lost a lot of weight in 2014, but there are a few more pounds I would like to lose.
- Pass my last part (Reg) of the CPA exam
- Run a 5k in under 28 minutes (I'm slow)
- Improve my cycling
- Try to eat healthier and eat less fast food/prepackaged food
- Journal more frequently.

Most of them are fitness-related... I think they are all viable accomplishments for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have goals which I consider different then resolutions. To me Resolutions are promises that I do something differently. Goals are things I'm looking to accomplish.

For instance, in 2014, i wanted to do a half marathon, I accomplished this in the fall, this coming year I go up for my Black Belt exam. These are my goals.

As for resolutions, I have none. I strive to be a better person each year, treating others with love and respect. I seem to fail this often enough that I have to keep working at it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
In my case...

1. Shave off 5 kilograms (I'm 6ft 2in, and am currently 85 kg). I used to be thinner, but ever since I moved to Melbourne, I gained weight. Too much good food there.

And that's about my only resolution :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I normally don’t make new year’s resolutions, IMO I’m nearly perfect so why mess about.

But because of something my youngest granddaughter said over christmas, I’m going to break a habit of a lifetime.

From now on I will not say something is **** or ****, if it’s just not my taste, or I’m not the target audience.:eek:

This is not to say that I will have to like Hip Hop or the Twilight movies but I will refrain from negative comments.;)

This of course does not cover Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston movies which are not only **** but also **** and are worthy of my undying hatred. :cool:

Happybunny, posts like this make me laugh aloud. Well said, and beautifully written.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a rule, I don't do, or make, 'New Year' resolutions. To be honest, I find a lot of the ritual surrounding this practice to be maybe trite, or self-righteous, or worse still, leavened with an unhealthy dose of self-flagellation.

However, I do use the dying days, the dog days, of the Old Year, when it is dark, and still, when time seems suspended and normal routines and obligations have been disrupted or deferred, to take stock, mull things over, and think things through. It is a good time for some deep solitary thinking.

Perhaps, after all, this is the very same thing as a proverbial "New Year's Resolution', it is just that it may be called by another name…….

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My New's Resolution is to stay healthy. I need to be more vigilant in my diet, weight, and general mental awareness that I'm getting older. I'm very young at heart (I'm 62), but in reality my body is starting to show it's age. Scary isn't it?. I remember the days I felt immortal. Those days are gone unfortunately. I should be glad I have no major illnesses.So what I'm saying is I'm going to be more aware of my well being.. That's my New Year's resolution..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My New's Resolution is to stay healthy. I need to be more vigilant in my diet, weight, and general mental awareness that I'm getting older. I'm very young at heart (I'm 62), but in reality my body is starting to show it's age. Scary isn't it?. I remember the days I felt immortal. Those days are gone unfortunately. I should be glad I have no major illnesses.So what I'm saying is I'm going to be more aware of my well being.. That's my New Year's resolution..

As do I.

When you are in your late teens, or early twenties, bursting with energy and brimful of life, you feel life could go on forever and that you are, indeed, immortal.

And then, one day, something or someone makes you realise that you are not.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
As do I.

When you are in your late teens, or early twenties, bursting with energy and brimful of life, you feel life could go on forever and that you are, indeed, immortal.

Man, I'm 27 and everything hurts after workouts. :(

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
As do I.

You said it my friend. I wish I was as graceful with words as you.

----------

Wiseguy!! LOL!!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I think that everything is supposed to hurt after workouts.

Indeed, I have long thought that much of what people choose to do to themselves (or choose to put themselves through) in the gym was a variant on masochism.

Then, again, maybe some people choose to 'feel the pain' to remind themselves that they are alive, or to offer challenges to their body.

Me, I have never darkened the door of a gym in my life, (at least, not since I left school when it was compulsory) but each to their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.