Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
A few months ago my G4 iMac's display died. It was too expensive to fix so I just bought a 20in G5. :)

Well I was bored this weekend so I decapitated the G4. I took it to work today and I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything is still working great. Amazingly I can even video out to 1280x1024! On my lunch I picked up a cheap 17in ViewSonic monitor and have both systems setup now.

office.jpg

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Any ideas on what to do the cover the hole at the top? It doesn't look too bad as is, but it would be cool to complete the sphere.

imactop.jpg

imactopclose.jpg

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
While I hate to see an iMac G4 being defaced, I commend you on your innovation in salvaging it. Even though it may be a few years old, its still a Macintosh! :)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I like the look of the iMac G4 even more than the G5...I always wanted one of those things. *goes to check eBay!!*

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
the_wallcrawler said:
Any ideas on what to do the cover the hole at the top? It doesn't look too bad as is, but it would be cool to complete the sphere.
I think your best bet would be to try and find a piece of white plastic to keep the look the same but you may not be able to easily match the white and also my have to fabricate part of the piece in order to make it work right. Or maybe you could go with some type of chrome metal piece which wouldn't really require you to match it to anything.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
the_wallcrawler said:

golf_ball_apple.jpg

EDIT: Ooh ... mad jew is quick ...

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
It's funny how much the dome chaped G4 stands out compared to Apples current design. Now, everything is strictly rectangular with rounded corners. Oh well.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Nice work! Although, I must say two things:

(1) it's sad to see the original screen on the floor, tongue lolling about, dead.

(2) why oh why didn't you install Chicken of the VNC on the G5 and operate ol' baldie that way? No ugly black monitor then!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I know someone that was seriously thinking about doing this very soon -- any tips/suggestions/things to note? What did you do with the cables going to the display? Just shove them inside the base?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.