Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 24, 2003, 02:10 PM   #1
hugemullens
macrumors 6502a

My IPOD DIED!!!

My IPOD doesnt work anymore!! i plug it into my powermac and it doesnt repsond or boot, doesnt do anything when plug into the power brick either! is there some sort of trick or reset command for the ipod that any one knows? i bought it in july and the papers with it say it only has a 90 day warrenty. I thought it was a year. Man, i hope my ipod isnt a goner!
hugemullens is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2003, 02:23 PM   #2
hugemullens
macrumors 6502a

Ok. now i read though and found a post on exact same topic in the help section, sorry for not reading first......i tried the reset and it didnt respond, i will wait a while and hope for the best, sorry for posting without reading first.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 03:02 PM   #3
morlium
macrumors regular

Hold down the reset combination until it responds. The time it takes varies ... at least on mine.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 03:40 PM   #4
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

Welcome to the club... I'll be on my fourth... repeat, FOURTH... iPod come February. I'm waiting until the very last day of my warranty (February 23) to take it in so I'll get the max extended 90 days before I'm S.O.L. should my fourth iPod go bad. I've treated each and every iPod like a baby, so the only thing you can fault it on is these things were NOT produced very well. Or am I just unlucky?
Hemingray is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:57 PM   #5
Wren
macrumors regular

No, you're not unlucky at all. I am also using my 4th iPod. The good news is Apple always was happy to replace it with a 'refurbished" unit. The same problem I had. the battery will not hold the charge, ( after using it for several months ) But so far, the fourth one's a charm. I have not yet had any problems with it. Hope they have fixed the bug. Good luck!!
Wren is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2003, 05:18 PM   #6
pyrotoaster
macrumors 65816

I got my first iPod in November of 2001. It got buggy over time, and totally died back in October (the low battery warning never went away). I took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and got a new one (for free) in about an hour.
BTW, the iPod has a one-year replacement warranty, and I haven't had a single problem in nearly four months with my new one.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:02 PM   #7
hugemullens
macrumors 6502a

1 year replacement warrenty? i read through the papers and all it said was a 90 parts/labor warrenty. I'll take it to the apple reseller around here when i get a chance (about 50 miles). I hope they can get me a new one. thanks for all the help everyone.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:20 PM   #8
neonart
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemingray
Welcome to the club... I'll be on my fourth... repeat, FOURTH... iPod come February. I'm waiting until the very last day of my warranty (February 23) to take it in so I'll get the max extended 90 days before I'm S.O.L. should my fourth iPod go bad. I've treated each and every iPod like a baby, so the only thing you can fault it on is these things were NOT produced very well. Or am I just unlucky?
What if you get severe diarrhea that day? Better do it one day before.
Ordered mine the day they were released. Got it in Dec 2001. Still kickin even though it's had a rough life. I use it at my shop as I work on cars so it's not in a sterile environment. Plus I carry it with me in my bag constantly, which gets tossed around a lot. I cant complain. Rugged as my iBook.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:56 PM   #9
ugru
macrumors regular

i had a problem with mine too, after 8 months it died (no way to reset it) i had to send it to holland but fortunately i had it changed one for free. the new one is working well.
i think it is only a problem of battery: the quality of the battery was below the apple standardad maybe thay changed the battery supplyer
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:09 PM   #10
janey
macrumors 603

:)

hey don't worry. we have slightly different problems anyway.

My biggest problem is that even though my iPod works now, the firewire port's broken (not by me) so Apple's replacing it. It's a standard one year warranty which says that they'll replace it for you if it was not due to negligence, mishandling, etc.

90 days? Where did you hear that?

Good luck

janey is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:22 PM   #11
jrbohorquezg
macrumors member

My two cents:

I have had my iPod for a little more than a year now. Only once I had to reset it (it froze because of a quick plug - unplug - plug sequence). I must say that my iPod must have been one of the first ones produced, and I really feel it's a high quality product. All of those that have had all sorts of problems I guess are just the unlucky ones.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:24 PM   #12
janey
macrumors 603

there are always a couple of rotten apples...

janey is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers