Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have always run WIndows 7 on BootCamp but the fonts are so small with retina screens. Someone told me that this is not so if you use Parallels. Is this so, are Fonts normal on Windows 7 Pro on Parallels?

Parallels means that yopu do not have to partition the drive, does it not?

I will use AutoCad and PhotoShop along with Quickbooks and Office 2010. The laptop will have 16GB ram, will that do?

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I will use AutoCad and PhotoShop along with Quickbooks and Office 2010. The laptop will have 16GB ram, will that do?

When running Photoshop and AutoCAD you are going to want bare metal performance and not that of Parallels or VMWare. I would increase the DPI in Windows or adjust the resolution.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So BootCamp for performance . . . . .

Thanks

Absolutely. Photoshop and AutoCAD are programs that use a lot of resources. Parallels is running Windows on top of OS X so it is using more of the resources which lets less go to those programs. Boot Camp allows the programs to have direct access to the full capability of the hardware and makes quite a difference.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Boot camp unless you need to switch between OSs constantly for some reason.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I know,I'll be bouncing between OS X and Windows, then I'll fire up Vmware, otherwise I boot up in Windows.

Thanks to Vmware (and parallels has this),I can have both (bootcamp and vmware using my bootcamp partition)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks everyone. Use OS X seldom but love the Apple hardware so it will be a Window 7 Pro machine 95% of the time. I have been using BootCamp for a few years now and just wanting to make sure it is still the way to go. BootCamp will rule the new hardware.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Thanks everyone. Use OS X seldom but love the Apple hardware so it will be a Window 7 Pro machine 95% of the time. I have been using BootCamp for a few years now and just wanting to make sure it is still the way to go. BootCamp will rule the new hardware.

Note that you won't get the same battery performance in BootCamp/Windows than you would if using OS X.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Note that you won't get the same battery performance in BootCamp/Windows than you would if using OS X.

I have been using BootCamp and Win 7 Pro on my 2013 MBAir and MBPro 15 and the battery performance is far from disappointing. Better than any other laptop I have owned including the aThinkpad line.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have been using BootCamp and Win 7 Pro on my 2013 MBAir and MBPro 15 and the battery performance is far from disappointing. Better than any other laptop I have owned including the aThinkpad line.

Depending on the model, your battery time will be affected. I have a 2012 rMBP and since that model as the dGPU, running that in windows does make a huge difference then running it in OS X. I'm locked into using the dGPU and no power savings technology enabled.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Depending on the model, your battery time will be affected. I have a 2012 rMBP and since that model as the dGPU, running that in windows does make a huge difference then running it in OS X. I'm locked into using the dGPU and no power savings technology enabled.

As I said mine is more than fine and not disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.