Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel today announced the launch of a full set of "Broadwell-U" processors, opening the door for updated versions of Apple's MacBook Air and 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The chip launch is essentially in line with a leaked timeline from last July that also pegs the release of more powerful Broadwell chips appropriate for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro as late as July or August of this year.

As outlined by AnandTech, the new Broadwell-U chips include a set of four 28-watt chips ranging from 2.5 GHz to 3.1 GHz in base frequency and featuring new Iris 6100 integrated graphics. The Core i5-5257U, Core i5-5287U, and Core i7-5557U chips appear to allow for direct upgrades from the Haswell-U chips currently used in the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. While the new chips include only a 100 MHz CPU speed increase over their Haswell counterparts, a number of other improvements, especially with regard to graphics, should make for significantly improved performance.

broadwell_u.jpg
Broadwell-U chips appropriate for 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro (top) and MacBook Air (bottom)
(Source: AnandTech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8814/intel-releases-broadwell-u-new-skus-up-to-48-eus-and-iris-6100)​

On the MacBook Air front, Intel is offering four different 15-watt Broadwell-U chips that would be appropriate for the lineup, with all of the new chips carrying improved HD 6000 graphics. Base clock speeds range from 1.6 GHz to 2.2 GHz compared to the 1.4 GHz and 1.7 GHz options available in the current MacBook Air, and associated upgrades in Broadwell should yield significant performance improvements for the new chips.

Looking at potential release dates for Apple's Broadwell systems, Intel tells AnandTech that the new Broadwell-U chips are already shipping to vendors, with the first systems based on the new chips expected by the end of the month. Systems based on chips using Iris graphics may be more toward the end of the current quarter.

Article Link: Intel Launches New Broadwell Chips Appropriate for MacBook Air and 13-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Will we get a completely new Mac mini design with these new CPUs or will Apple wait for Skylake? Since they just "updated" the Mac mini (debatable) will they wait another two or three years and then stop making it because they didn't sell enough units?

It's like they're trying to kill it on purpose. :(

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I would like to know how the Intel HD 6000/6100 compared to the Intel 5000 or Iris/Iris Pro integrated graphics.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Too little too late? If one can, wait for Skylake at this point.

Sure but that could be a long wait. I think Intel might hold on the Broadwell shelf life for awhile to maximize it.
I look forward to get by summer a new Macbook but I don't see Skylake until 2016.

Gostei do avatar. Abs.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Good because I've been holding off. If they come out with a retina air I'm all for it. But otherwise I'm going to refurbish route.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Finally, Intel. Now let's see if Apple has the guts to update the 13" MBP before the 15". A Q2 release of the 13" would be sweet.

But when? Will Intel delay Skylake to maximise Broadwell's shelf life?

I assume Skylake will have a similar release pattern as Broadwell, i.e. low wattage chips first and 15/28W and up later. We will not see Skylake chips suitable for MBA/MBP before 2016.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I wish Intel would stop wasting Silicon Space on these dam on-board GPU's.

Even in the "Proper" PC Computing world where people naturally buy proper graphics cards, you still have these dumb GPU's forced onto the chips we don't want.

I'm happy they make them for those with minimal requirement, but PLEASE Intel put this space to better use for proper Desktop users.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I would love to see a projected side-by-side comparisson to evaluate how much snappier the Broadwell and Skylake chips are in comparrison to the lastest and greatest MPB on shelf now. Anyone? Anyone?

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Hardly follow intel's roadmap now.... whats the innovation???

Thunderbolt 3 sounds neat, straight from wiki: . "Power capacities of up to 100 watts, will allow companies like Apple to build single-cable MacBook products, as there won’t be any need for a separate power connector for powering/charging the device."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.