Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As indicated yesterday, Apple has begun selling unlocked, SIM-free versions of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on its U.S. online store.

iphone6unlocked2-800x535.jpg
Pricing for the SIM-free versions of both phones are the same as the other unsubsidized models. The 16, 64, and 128 GB versions of the iPhone 6 are sold for $649, $749, and $849 respectively, while the 16, 64, and 128GB configurations of the iPhone 6 Plus run $100 higher than the aforementioned iPhone 6 models.

The SIM-free versions of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the same as the full-priced, carrier-specific models that have been sold by Apple since the launch of both phones. For example, the iPhone 6 models offered by T-Mobile have been unlocked since launch, although it is unknown why Apple chooses to advertise both. The SIM-free and T-Mobile versions of the iPhone 6 can be used with a number of GSM carriers around the world, as a user only needs to provide a compatible Nano SIM for cellular connectivity.

All storage capacities and colors of the SIM-free iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are shown as ready to ship within 3-5 business days. The phones are also expected to be offered at Apple's retail locations starting today.

Article Link: Unlocked, SIM-Free iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Now Available in U.S. with 3-5 Day Shipping

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
You mean they were only offered as locked in US, all this entire time ?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You mean they were only offered as locked in US, all this entire time ?

Any phone paid full price from Apple store came unlocked. You just had to swap out the carrier sim that came in it.

They are just selling a sim-less version now. Why? No clue. Seems pointless.

----------

hey APPLE! How about offering these on LAUNCH DAY for the iPhone 6s THIS YEAR?? That would be great! :)

There is no reason to. You have to open the sim tray to insert your carrier of choice sim anyway, it doesn't hurt anything to discard whatever sim came in it. Empty sim tray or occupied, it doesn't effect anything.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
And the US is caught up with the world again:)

Actually maybe not, because this is probably the GSM version.
Many countries in the world sell the Sprint version, which is LTE-compatible in China (I hear there are a lot of people living in that country).

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Any phone paid full price from Apple store came unlocked. You just had to swap out the carrier sim that came in it.

They are just selling a sim-less version now. Why? No clue. Seems pointless.

----------

There is no reason to. You have to open the sim tray to insert your carrier of choice sim anyway, it doesn't hurt anything to discard whatever sim came in it. Empty sim tray or occupied, it doesn't effect anything.

I stood in line from 1am to 8am (The only hours they would allow people to wait) for my iPhone 6 unlocked on launch day here in Atlanta GA (Georgia Perimeter Mall) only to find out that the T-Mobile and the Verizon versions were sold out. If they offered the Sim free versions on launch day that would help out a lot. This is a true statement my friend.....

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
I think when I move to the US , I would need to study all of this carrier stuff before buying a phone.

Only thing I have to care about here is whether there is a SIM or Netlock on the device and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah and of course the SIM card format... which is then again.. the work of an American :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I stood in line from 1am to 8am (The only hours they would allow people to wait) for my iPhone 6 unlocked on launch day here in Atlanta GA (Georgia Perimeter Mall) only to find out that the T-Mobile and the Verizon versions were sold out. If they offered the Sim free versions on launch day that would help out a lot. This is a true statement my friend.....

Why would you stand in line... Ew... Dont younhave a job, or a life?

I preordered a Tmo, popped over to mall of ga on my lunch break and was back at the office in under 30mins.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Why would you stand in line... Ew... Dont younhave a job, or a life?

I preordered a Tmo, popped over to mall of ga on my lunch break and was back at the office in under 30mins.

Nope no job in 6 years now. I didnt have a life until i quit. :D:p:cool:;)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
The only thing from Apple that is not first in US.
In UK we get Sim free iPhone's on the first day of it's launch.

Same in NZ. We have 3 carriers plus a few small MVNO's and iPhones work on all carriers. Even if you buy a phone on contract, the phone is not on contract, YOU are, so you can change phones. I got my 5S on my wife's business account,for almost free. She already has a 4S so she wanted to use that, so I got the 5S, and popped my sim in and good to go. Legit. She is on contract for 2 years, which is fine. I since sold the 5S, thats all fine too

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
In Italy you can get every product from Apple without a contract from day one. The problem is they cost a bunch hole of gold.

iPhone 6 16GB: 729€ (868$)

iPhone 6 Plus 128GB: 1.059€!!! (1.260$)

Bad guy Apple.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
In Italy you can get every product from Apple without a contract from day one. The problem is they cost a bunch hole of gold.

Once you account for the 22% VAT included in the Italian price, this is only slightly above the US price.

Remember, the US prices do not include sales tax.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
too bad verizon will still not activate this phone on their network. Verizon > All if you are in the US.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ya, Sim free....

Welcome to the rest of the world..

What took ya ??

Australia had SIM free phones for ages... It's about time for the rest to do the same...

Gives 'em a choice.

No wonder users like contracts.... You get bonuses too :D Who does't like that.

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2006
Well crap. I just bought 2 contract free 6 Plus on AT&T. If they had had this version available I would've bought it instead. Now I have to wait 60 days with AT&T to get them to unlock the phone.

too bad verizon will still not activate this phone on their network. Verizon > All if you are in the US.

Verizon sucks, at least where I live. I just switched from Verizon to AT&T about 3 weeks ago. I was getting .5 mbps down and less than that up in this area. On AT&T, I get 20-30 mbps both ways.

phape

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
SIM Free not Needed

When purchasing directly from Apple, 'Sim Free' = 'T-mobile' = 'AT&T Contract Free', We purchased the AT&T version contract free directly from Apple and activated it that day on T-mobile, Thank you to MacRumors for letting us confirm we could do that. Judging by the comments to this post, many people do not know this is possible.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Let me write that down. *January 6th*

You hear that?

Take notes for next year! (this year)

Where's my thread when I need it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Bad guy Apple.

Don't tell me.... I paid 839€ for my 64 Gb iPhone 6 + another 99€ for AppleCare + 45€ for the leather case. Do your math :(

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The only thing from Apple that is not first in US.
In UK we get Sim free iPhone's on the first day of it's launch.

Sadly no. U.S. got unlocked phones on launch day, they just came with a sim. You pay full price, throw out the SIM and you have a UK unlocked phone. If anything the UK got robbed of a free sim ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.