Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm trying a phablet for the first time (a Note 3). My previous largest phone was a Galaxy S4, and I was very happy with this phone size.

Not unexpectedly, I'm finding the Note 3 unwieldy. Those of you who are happy using phablets, did you decide you were happy with the large size immediately or did it take time to get used to it?

At this point (about a week of use), the only way I can see myself keeping this phone for an extended period is if I start to find the S-Pen functionality so useful that I decide to tolerate the large size. I'm going to use the phone for a few more weeks to establish if this is the case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got used to my iPhone 6 plus in about 5 minutes. Seriously, it was a great phone. Its a little awkward/tight putting it my pants pocket, but I've solved that issue by getting a belt case for it.

If you're still feel that the phone is uncomfortable to hold, and use, then perhaps its not the right phone for you.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
A few days at most. However phablets are not for everyone. Maybe a smaller phone is more suitable for you.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I went from an iPhone 4s to a OnePlus One (same size as the iPhone 6+) and I got used to it very quickly. I've always longed for a big phone; so this is probably why it was easier.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Why would you want to buy a phablet?

They are to BIG to make calls and you are going to look ridiculous/stupid in public when you are on a phone call and they are too small as a tablet as well

You might as get a small phone like Galaxy S5 because it is big enough phone size.

Phablets are a fad and people will get bored of phablets and go back to small phones again in the future in my opinion...

But for some reason some people like phablets and thinks they are going to replace tablets HELL NO Tablets(Ipad/Android/Windows 8 tablets) are in a totally different league than phablets....

Last edited:

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014

They are to BIG to make calls and you are going to look ridiculous/stupid in public when you are on a phone call and they are too small as a tablet.

You might as get a small phone like Galaxy S5 because it is big enough phone size.

Phablets are a fad and people will get bored of phablets and go back to small phones again in the future...

Because people (especially youth) barely make phone calls. We use our phones as consumption devices, social media, and Netflix. We are not going to be watching things on a 3.5" screen.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011

They are to BIG to make calls and you are going to look ridiculous/stupid in public when you are on a phone call and they are too small as a tablet.

Phablets are a fad and people will get bored of phablets and go back to small phones again in the future...

For me personally, I'm trying out of curiosity of both the large size and the S-Pen.

Phablets are obviously not a fad.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
How long does it take to get used to a phablet?

I knew I was happy from jump because I have rather large hands. I felt more at home with the Note 3 than I did when I had the S4. When I type on any other phone it takes me longer to punch in my words because of the smaller buttons and shorter width and travel between keys. The Note 3 was perfect and never felt awkward.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Because people (especially youth) barely make phone calls. We use our phones as consumption devices, social media, and Netflix. We are not going to be watching things on a 3.5" screen.
I think those are the reasons everyone buys a phablet size phone. I can do all of the above and actually surf on a screen that does not give me eye strain trying to read it. I find that since I have my Note 4 and 6+ i hardly ever pickup my iPad anymore.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Give it a couple of days. You'll need at least that long to build some dexterity and muscle memory.

I won't lie, there are times when usage and navigation will seem difficult, but in return you get a massive battery and the more pleasant screen.

That's a good trade in my opinion.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What about how it feels in the pocket? I just can't get over it personally :-/

From a usability standpoint sure I hear you guys , they are great. I just dont want to carry the damn thing around with me all the time :p

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

They are to BIG to make calls and you are going to look ridiculous/stupid in public when you are on a phone call and they are too small as a tablet as well

Phablets are a fad and people will get bored of phablets and go back to small phones again in the future in my opinion...

But for some reason some people like phablets and thinks they are going to replace tablets HELL NO Tablets(Ipad/Android/Windows 8 tablets) are in a totally different league than phablets....

Firstly you are so incorrect it defies reality. I use my Note 4 for phone calls all of the time and as far as looking stupid, I think people who are more afraid of what other people think of them are more ridiculous imo. It is a great phone with great reception and if I want to take down someone's phone number or info down I just put them on speaker, pull out the s pen, have a note pop up immediately and I jot it down.

Secondly I don't use it as a tablet but the screen real estate was great when I was on course for a month away from internet, it did the trick much better than a small screen phone. Just because something doesn't work for YOU, doesn't mean that others don't have a use for it.

Since you are so great at future predictions, I assume you are wealthy and using your knowledge to accrue a mass of wealth on the stock market, I would LOVE some tips!

But seriously, I thought phablets were obscene, too big, ridiculous etc just like you but then wonder of wonders, I discovered that the world had more to offer than just my narrow perception of it. If they make super fold-able screens that unfold to a phablet size in the future but take up less space in my purse I would be all for it make no mistake, but for now I LOVE THIS PHONE!! Much nicer to watch any sort of media on, type on, and yes I even use it as an e-reader at the gym when I am on stationary bikes.

I'm trying a phablet for the first time (a Note 3). My previous largest phone was a Galaxy S4, and I was very happy with this phone size.

Not unexpectedly, I'm finding the Note 3 unwieldy. Those of you who are happy using phablets, did you decide you were happy with the large size immediately or did it take time to get used to it?

At this point (about a week of use), the only way I can see myself keeping this phone for an extended period is if I start to find the S-Pen functionality so useful that I decide to tolerate the large size. I'm going to use the phone for a few more weeks to establish if this is the case.

It is kind of unwieldy, but oddly enough when I threw a screen protector on it and a minimalistic case and don't care how I grab it out of my pocket (jacket not jeans lol) At first, I was treating it with kid gloves and as a result, it was unwieldy, now that I am less afraid of dropping it etc, I find it quite manageable. Mind you, it was the same with my first iPhone4 I handled it with kid gloves until I put a case on it and could just place it down easily on things without fear of scratching, damaging etc.

That being said, I have a GS4 as a back up and sometimes miss the pocket-ability of it. However I wouldn't trade it.

I say if after 3 weeks, and you aren't making any use of the Spen etc, perhaps stepping down to a S5 might be the way to go for you. I still sometimes force myself to use it just to try to get better functionality and faster tasks done, as I sometimes forget and do things the old way (before S-pen functionality).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've owned a 6+ for around five weeks now and I'm as used to it as I'm ever going to get. It's too big and heavy for me.
I find the screen size nice enough whilst using it at home, but as the device is no better at multitasking and no more powerful than a regular iPhone, only the extended battery life is a real plus point.
Holding it to my ear for calls feels stupid and I mainly use the speakerphone. My real qualm is with the weight of the phone. It feels like a brick in my jacket pocket! At this point a 4.7" phone would be too small but my next device will be around 5", unless there is much lighter phablet out there with slimmed down bezels.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
5-inches is the sweet spot for phones but I got used to the iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, and even the Nexus 6 in a matter of minutes. You may hate the heft or size at first but I think having a big screen makes the experience much more with it. Of course everyone's needs are different.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

You're opinion, nothing more. In fact you contradict your own opinion immediately after stating it..phablets are a fad, immediately followed by 'people like phablets.'

And you seriously think using something the size of an iPhone 6+ as a phone is ridiculous? Here's a photo of my 6+ next to your typical cordless home phone, a size I'd size is fairly standard and found everywhere. In fact, I guess any landline you'll see used out in public at a business, etc, will be bigger than the giant phablet you're so worried will look ridiculous when used as a phone. So I guess we've all been looking ridiculous using phones for the last few decades. :rolleyes:
Come on, you're just regurgitating the age old, standard criticism that was levied back when phablets were originally introduced and quite clearly proven to be complete bollocks.

Can a phablet completely replace a larger tablet? Depends on each user and their needs. I personally found no need for my iPad rMini once I started using the 6+ but still go to my iPad Air for tasks that benefit from a significantly larger screen.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 185

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
What about how it feels in the pocket? I just can't get over it personally :-/

From a usability standpoint sure I hear you guys , they are great. I just dont want to carry the damn thing around with me all the time :p

No problems fitting my Nexus 6 in the pockets of my shorts, jeans or slacks. The one behavior I have changed, however, is that I don't take it on runs or to the gym. I've always done so in the past but the added weight and size proved too much for gym shorts. I purchased a cheap Lumia 520 to use instead.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No problems fitting my Nexus 6 in the pockets of my shorts, jeans or slacks. The one behavior I have changed, however, is that I don't take it on runs or to the gym. I've always done so in the past but the added weight and size proved too much for gym shorts. I purchased a cheap Lumia 520 to use instead.

All good points I forgot to mention in my previous post.

My feeling is that you'll have a pretty good idea if you'll like using a phablet almost immediately upon using it. If you prefer the feel of a smaller phone, there isn't much that's going to convince you otherwise after using a larger device. Phablets certainly aren't for everyone. I championed smaller devices for a long time as I liked being able to use it nearly everywhere but once I started using the 6+ and realizing the benefits of the larger display, I was quickly sold. However I do find them larger than I'd prefer when doing something active so I've held onto an old iPhone 5 to use during those times. I realize not everyone can have multiple device but it's met my needs perfectly well.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It took me an hour or so to get used to my iPhone 6 Plus (went from a 5S). I got it because I was using my iPhone for reading and typing much more than as a phone. The 6 Plus is the largest device that meets my needs while still fitting into shirt and sport coat pockets.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Strange thing is - not all phablets feel the same and it can be entirely personal whether you will get used to it or one of the many others. But give it time - often I've got used to the size in the quick term - and then overtime - size became a factor in my dislike. For example I found the Lumia 1520 initially ok - but overtime its large size became a bother to me more so than other phablets i've used.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Took me a month or 2 to really get used to the size, but on the other hand the instant I tried to do anything with a regular sized screen I hated it and couldn't get used to going back to a regular phone. Now it's 2nd nature and I can't even look twice at a non phablet phone.

----------

Strange thing is - not all phablets feel the same and it can be entirely personal whether you will get used to it or one of the many others. But give it time - often I've got used to the size in the quick term - and then overtime - size became a factor in my dislike. For example I found the Lumia 1520 initially ok - but overtime its large size became a bother to me more so than other phablets i've used.

Yeah this is true, it's very personal. For me the Note 4 seems like the best fit, it's the skinniest mainly because you don't need a case with it and it has just the right form factor. I always hated the Lumia series because they have these sharp squared corners that are a waste of space IMO. I tried to like the 6 plus but it just felt larger than it was, was too slippery, and was almost impossible to own without having a case on it making it that much larger.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas

I went from an iphone 5 to a Note 4...I didnt really have to "get used" to the bigger size, I had to get used to using something that is not using IOS software...i enjoy the bigger phone screen.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
i can get used to any size about a weeks

3'5 - tiny but too harsh for web browsing especially on iPhone 4S
4'6 - perfect size imo, nice comprimise for anything
5 - it fits in the pocket, web browsing, multimedia, gaming, all good

I tried Note 2/3, size, ergonomic was ok but i wont go above 5 due to my type of use

for people who mad about screen size getting bigger overtime
Don't forget this is a circle, basic phone was huge then getting smaller overtime
smartphone does invert but you could notice Z3 Compact meats with great sucess to Android users
There is a room for smaller screen size smartphone
And i hope some manufacturer still keep producing 3'5/4
We need a large choice of screen size overall

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

why should you worry about that? There are other things i think look stupid on people and some are permanent but who cares?
That "fad" seems to just get bigger and more popular. Not my preference but i dont care who has a huge phone. I only care if i do because i dont like my phone to be huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.