Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
NOTE! THIS SALE IS NOW OVER. THERE ARE NO MORE A1006s BEING SOLD BY THIS VENDOR!

SCORE!!!

Just bought two (2) of these for $25 each!!! Now I will be able to use my other two 17" Cinema Displays!!!!

If you're interested, 20 left…about $11 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361178624878?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

What's hilarious is that these are coming from Tempe, Arizona which is about 20 minutes from where I live!

MODS!!!! This is NOT my auction, I am not advertising anything and I am NOT making any money from this. I am solely providing a link for the edification of the MR PowerPC members here – nothing more!

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks for the heads up! I don't have an immediate need for one, but went ahead and grabbed one as I do occasionally want to use an ADC display with a Powerbook or something else...

That's too good of a price to pass up.(so much for my Mac budget being shot...it really is now!)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the heads up! I don't have an immediate need for one, but went ahead and grabbed one as I do occasionally want to use an ADC display with a Powerbook or something else...

That's too good of a price to pass up.(so much for my Mac budget being shot...it really is now!)
It's a freakin' INSANE deal when you consider that the starting price for these tends to be $59 and a lot of them are auction only. The majority of them go for $99 or more.

Finding this deal has made me incredibly happy. I've put a watch on it so in two weeks I can see about getting more.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It's a freakin' INSANE deal when you consider that the starting price for these tends to be $59 and a lot of them are auction only. The majority of them go for $99 or more.

Finding this deal has made me incredibly happy. I've put a watch on it so in two weeks I can see about getting more.

I may pick up a few more too after payday if they still have some.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It is surprising how much these fetch now considering how little the actual monitors go for. My best deal was £18 for one plus a 22" ACD. The seller didn't realise what the A1006 was.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
It is surprising how much these fetch now considering how little the actual monitors go for. My best deal was £18 for one plus a 22" ACD. The seller didn't realise what the A1006 was.
There's a private seller on craigslist in my area that has a 17" Cinema Display with the converter included for $40. But he also knows the value of the converter.

If I'd have had the money I might have pursued it earlier this week, but I don't need another 17" Cinema Display (I have two already). Had he had a 20" display or one of the 23" HD displays I would have jumped on it though as the HDs are the displays I'm looking for now.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There's a private seller on craigslist in my area that has a 17" Cinema Display with the converter included for $40. But he also knows the value of the converter.

If I'd have had the money I might have pursued it earlier this week, but I don't need another 17" Cinema Display (I have two already). Had he had a 20" display or one of the 23" HD displays I would have jumped on it though as the HDs are the displays I'm looking for now.

The one I just picked up today was a 22" in near perfect condition for $50.

I actually don't have it in-hand yet-It's in Northern Kentucky and I didn't have time to drive up there today. My brother in law(a Craigslist afficionado) was more than happy to pick it up for me, so I have to wait until I meet up with him or make it up there to get it.

I bought another 22" last summer from a local shop, but ended up returning it because it had some bad pressure marks on the screen and I decided that I couldn't live with them for the $40 I paid for it.

There's actually a decent and cheap 17" in Dayton right now, but I have no inclination to go to Dayton(not sure I'd go even if I were getting paid $40 to come and get it).

If nothing else, I can carry the A1006 and a Powerbook with me now when I'm out shopping to test for problems like this. I wouldn't mind to haul a tower if I knew I was going to look at one, but that doesn't make sense for hitting the flea markets/junk shops.

I'm also hoping I'll turn up a 23" HD for a decent price one of these days too.

BTW, it looks like the seller has sold two more since I bought mine...

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
like an idiot i also just bought one. have absolutely no use for it. maybe someday i'll hook an adc monitor up to an intel mac mini. or maybe not. my biggest problem with using it in the future will be remembering where i put it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
like an idiot i also just bought one. have absolutely no use for it. maybe someday i'll hook an adc monitor up to an intel mac mini. or maybe not. my biggest problem with using it in the future will be remembering where i put it.
LOL. I'm sure you'll find a use for it! :D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Another problem you'll have in the future is Apple no longer supports them starting with Mac OS 10.9. While you can copy the needed kexts over, that method will eventually stop working.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Doesn't seem incredible to me, just reasonably priced. Last Spring when I was looking for one of these I saw a couple auctions sell for around $20+shipping. I was the winning bidder on one.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Great deal - it's good to know some Mac peripheral prices are still reasonable - I dread the day PowerPC parts stray into the price territory of Amiga spares

I know exactly what you mean - I've accumulated several cardboard boxes of G4 parts from various scrapped machines and things leftover from upgrades just in case. Still wish I could track down the elusive aftermarket dual 1.8 GHz for my MDD though - it seems that you either have to pay hundreds for one or you luck out and get it for free in a machine being thrown away.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Doesn't seem incredible to me, just reasonably priced. Last Spring when I was looking for one of these I saw a couple auctions sell for around $20+shipping. I was the winning bidder on one.
All I know is, every time I go to see them on eBay the lowest price is $30 or so and that's for an auction. The Buy Now price is usually around $50 and there are quite a few sellers wanting $100-150.

So, for me, this was a very good price. Even if that indicates that sellers have long been inflating the price.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

An hour travel from Tempe to Phoenix. Should be out for delivery tomorrow morning! :D

Attachments

• USPS.com® - USPS Tracking™.png
    USPS.com® - USPS Tracking™.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 136

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Delivered!!!

Attachments

• USPS.com® - USPS Tracking™.png
    USPS.com® - USPS Tracking™.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 106

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Still 7 left. I anticipate they'll be gone by the weekend.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Note to anyone who bought these, they did NOT seem to have included the Apple power cables!!!

You can't just use a standard PC power cord. These are round three prong jobs. I have messaged them and will report back.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those adapters do take standard power cables. I think they're the C8 variant that is commonly used with laptop power supplies. They cost about $5.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks! If they deny me cables I will see what I can find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.