Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, the seller responded by stating that the listing doesn't say it includes power cords and that they'd be more than happy to give me return instructions.

????

I find the attitude annoying, but I'm not going to rock the boat just yet as I need to test one of the converters to see if lines on my display is the converter or my display. If it's the converter I'll need to send it back for an exchange.

In any case, when all is said and done I don't plan on giving the seller any feedback at all. And I certainly won't be using them in the future. One of these power cords, as Intell has indicated is a few bucks. What would it have cost them to make the customer happy and included it in the package?

So, I wait some more until I can get out and buy power cables. For now, apparently the cables that plug in to the power supplies that my kids use for their iBook and PowerBook work for these converters.

Have to see if I've got a DVI to VGA adpater at work though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, one port of my video card is VGA. I have the DVI end of the converter plugged into the DVI part of a DVI/VGA converter plug and the other end (VGA) into the video card.

I have no signal to that display, however, oddly enough the USB ports on the display are recognized.

I'm guessing either I have the wrong kind of DVI/VGA adapter or it just can't work this way.

Any ideas?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
So you're trying to go from VGA out on the video card to DVI on an adapter then out to ADC via the converter you just bought? If that's the case, then no that isn't going to work. As far as the auction goes, he never implies that the power cable is included, and its not pictured, so I dont think he misled you here. To me it seems as though you were shipped exactly what he was selling.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So you're trying to go from VGA out on the video card to DVI on an adapter then out to ADC via the converter you just bought? If that's the case, then no that isn't going to work.
Yeah, I thought so. Going to have to find a different way then I guess.
As far as the auction goes, he never implies that the power cable is included, and its not pictured, so I dont think he misled you here. To me it seems as though you were shipped exactly what he was selling.
My wife told me the same thing.

I still think it wouldn't have cost them very much to include a cord, but ok.

I hate it when people (like you and my wife) use things like truth, facts and reason in arguments/discussions.

It makes it very difficult to win. :D

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Mine arrived yesterday.

I'm pretty sure I have one or two of those power cables lying around, but couldn't put a finger on one. I ended up powering down my iMac G4 long enough to borrow the power cord from it.

I plugged my DLSD Powerbook into my 17" Studio Display using the adapter and everything worked fine(aside from the USB ports, which decided to die again about a week ago-this is an ongoing saga).

On an unrelated note, the PRAM battery in my iMac is dead, but it's been plugged in and only occasionally turned off for probably 3-4 months now. I was quite interested to find that it held time for the 15 minutes or so it was unplugged. I've noticed similar things on other computers with dead PRAM batteries that have been plugged in/powered on for longer periods of time and were briefly unplugged. I wonder if the battery is maybe getting recharged just enough to hold time for a short period of time, or perhaps the capacitors in the PSU hold enough residual power to keep the clock going for a few minutes after being unplugged.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So, one port of my video card is VGA. I have the DVI end of the converter plugged into the DVI part of a DVI/VGA converter plug and the other end (VGA) into the video card.

As Hrududu said, that won't work - Apple ADC LCDs were digital-signal-only, and the DVI/VGA converter just turns DVI's analog pins in to a VGA connector, which is analog-only. No way (without a $100 active VGA-to-DVI signal adapter) to plug a digital monitor in to an analog output.

That said, you said "one port of my video card is VGA" - what is the other port? If it's DVI, you can at least make sure the monitor works by plugging in to the DVI port. The other option is, depending on what your other monitor is, you could plug it in to the VGA port, and use the DVI port for the ADC. Obviously, if you have one of the ADC+VGA Apple video cards, and you were hoping for two ADC monitors, you're out of luck - you'll need to look for an ADC+DVI Apple video card.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Erik, what cards are you using and what monitors are connected to each?
Right now…

AGP: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb) --> 22" Cinema Display (DVI) / 20" HDTV LCD (VGA)
PCI: ATI Radeon 7000 --> 17" Studio Display (DVI) / 18" Gateway FPD1810 (VGA)

Tonight or tomorrow:
PCI ATI Radeon 9200 Pro to replace the 7000, same attached displays.

In roughly about two weeks:
AGP: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb) --> 22" Cinema Display (DVI) / 20" HDTV LCD
PCI: ATI Radeon 9200 Pro (128mb) --> 17" Studio Display (DVI) / 18" Gateway FPD1810 (VGA)

I have three DVI displays, the Cinema and the two Studio Displays, one VGA only display (the HDTV) and two DVI/VGA displays (the Gateways).

So, with three cards that will all work out - eventually.

But ultimately I want six 23" HD Cinema Displays hooked up to all three cards. So, I am going to need a ADC<->VGA converter now I guess (three of them) because all three cards are DVI/VGA.

Gefen made a ADC/VGA converter (Extend-It), but they are running north of $90 on eBay. I'll probably have to eat it though and get a few.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Right now…

AGP: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb) --> 22" Cinema Display (DVI) / 20" HDTV LCD (VGA)

Tonight or tomorrow:
PCI ATI Radeon 9200 Pro to replace the 7000, same attached displays.

In roughly about two weeks:
AGP: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb) --> 22" Cinema Display (DVI) / 20" HDTV LCD
PCI: ATI Radeon 9200 Pro (128mb) --> 17" Studio Display (DVI) / 18" Gateway FPD1810 (VGA)

I have three DVI displays, the Cinema and the two Studio Displays, one VGA only display (the HDTV) and two DVI/VGA displays (the Gateways).

So, with three cards that will all work out - eventually.

But ultimately I want six 23" HD Cinema Displays hooked up to all three cards. So, I am going to need a ADC<->VGA converter now I guess (three of them) because all three cards are DVI/VGA.

Gefen made a ADC/VGA converter (Extend-It), but they are running north of $90 on eBay. I'll probably have to eat it though and get a few.

If you're willing to lose a small amount of graphical horsepower, you could replace the 9800 Pro with the 256MB Radeon 9600 Pro, which has dual DVI ports on it, allowing you to run another ADC monitor there. There's a standard retail Mac version of it (which interestingly also works on PCs unmodified).

card.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
If you're willing to lose a small amount of graphical horsepower, you could replace the 9800 Pro with the 256MB Radeon 9600 Pro, which has dual DVI ports on it, allowing you to run another ADC monitor there. There's a standard retail Mac version of it (which interestingly also works on PCs unmodified).

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion.This is an AGP card?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It's a freakin' INSANE deal when you consider that the starting price for these tends to be $59 and a lot of them are auction only. The majority of them go for $99 or more.

Finding this deal has made me incredibly happy. I've put a watch on it so in two weeks I can see about getting more.

Dang-it, I don't know how I missed this thread! All of them have been sold... I don't have an immediate need for one, but it would be really nice to use my Studio Display on other Macs.

----------

Note to anyone who bought these, they did NOT seem to have included the Apple power cables!!!

You can't just use a standard PC power cord. These are round three prong jobs. I have messaged them and will report back.

EDIT: Well, I guess if I HAD gotten to see this eBay listing in time, I would have run into the same issue. Don't they sell those cables for cheap on eBay? I mean, it IS rather annoying that one would have to put in some more money on a cord, but it's still going to be cheaper than other listings.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Dang-it, I don't know how I missed this thread! All of them have been sold... I don't have an immediate need for one, but it would be really nice to use my Studio Display on other Macs.

----------

EDIT: Well, I guess if I HAD gotten to see this eBay listing in time, I would have run into the same issue. Don't they sell those cables for cheap on eBay? I mean, it IS rather annoying that one would have to put in some more money on a cord, but it's still going to be cheaper than other listings.
Yeah, the sale closed a day or so ago.

And yes, I bought two cords the other day for $4.98 with free shipping.

Given that the seller was STILL making a profit and that I've seen these cords go for less than 50¢ a pop I don't think throwing one in would have hurt the seller any. It would have made the customer happy in any case.

But they chose not to and I choose not to buy from them again. So, that's the result of them being cheap.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Given that the seller was STILL making a profit and that I've seen these cords go for less than 50¢ a pop I don't think throwing one in would have hurt the seller any. It would have made the customer happy in any case.

But they chose not to and I choose not to buy from them again. So, that's the result of them being cheap.

Amen. ^^^

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

----------

Aren't those standard 'mickey-mouse' plugs? I have a small handful of those, just from old laptop chargers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Aren't those standard 'mickey-mouse' plugs? I have a small handful of those, just from old laptop chargers.
Yeah, and again that's my point. It would have cost them a few cents and been good customer service to throw a cord in.

I could understand if the cord was like a $5 or more cord. But, come on. Less than 50¢?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.