Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new survey from finance company Credit Suisse found that of the solely iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners questioned, 18 percent of them would "definitely" purchase Apple's upcoming wearable, the Apple Watch.

As reported by Business Insider, the level of interest from iPhone owners could translate to 35 million units moved during the device's first year. Beyond the definite purchasers, 11 percent of those surveyed said they "probably" would buy the Watch, another 18 percent said they would "definitely not" buy it, and a large pool of "maybe" and "probably not" users occupied 27 percent each in the middle.

Screenshot-110.png
With strong interest levels in the Apple Watch, Credit Suisse believes there will be shortages of the device at its rumored March launch.
But even if one out of every five iPhone 6 owners wants an Apple Watch, Credit Suisse believes Apple will only make about 20 million Apple Watches in 2015, suggesting there might be a supply shortage when the smartwatch goes on sale.
These estimates aren't far off from a survey by UBS in early December that focused on consumers in general, not just specific iPhone 6 owners, and found that 10 percent are "very likely" to buy the Apple Watch, with the company selling 24 million units in the first nine months. Following Apple's unveiling of the device last September, speculation on the Apple Watch's unannounced details has continued in the lead-up to its launch, with the most recent piece of news revealing details of the Watch's iPhone companion app.

Article Link: New Survey Finds 18% of iPhone 6/6 Plus Owners Will 'Definitely' Buy Apple Watch

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I want one simply because I think it'll allow me to play with my phone at work. We've got this rule where you can't use your cellphone on the floor at all. I think this can easily be hidden under long sleeves or in plain sight even!

Am I addicted to technology? Yeah. I think so.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
So much uncertainty in my opinion. Probably a fair few people that are waiting to see just what will happen with the product when it launches and then some more people that are likely waiting for the second generation. Not everyone is willing or able to drop that kind of cash to be an early adopter.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
i am part of the no. heck its not even water resistent or can track you running by itself. useless

I laughed at Samsung for coming out with a watch that only worked with some of their phones and I'm doing the same for Apple too.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I DEFINITELY buy the stainless steel 42 mm space black Apple Watch at launch (hopefully preorder) and have been planning to before it was even announced

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
i am part of the no. heck its not even water resistent or can track you running by itself. useless

I'm pretty sure the watchkit leak detailed a standalone watch pedometer/accelerometre integration feature that tracks various health details without the phone near you. That, coupled with internal storage for music makes it arguably the best fitness companion on the market.

#AppleWatchSport

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm one of the 6 Plus users very likely to buy an Apple Watch.

But very UNLIKELY to buy one THIS year!

It almost does enough already to make it worth wearing for me (who gave up watches a while back). Given that we don't even know everything it does yet, and that developers will add value, it's probably worth having on year one.

But if I buy version one, I won't buy version two or three. So I'd rather wait and have all the second-generation benefits (without having to deal with selling the old and getting only part of my money back).

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I'm in the 11% "Yes, Probably" group. I'm waiting for the final specs and prices, and to see one in person before I decide.

The first iPhone I ever saw in person was the one that I bought. The Apple Watch isn't quite as high on my must-have list.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
A more appropriate topic is: There are more iPhone 6/6 plus owners will not buy apple watch than those that will by one.

When you toss out the maybe from the equation for being a tossed up, you end up having way more owners that will not buy it. The difference of 16% is quite significant.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I'll wait for generation two - slimmer with better battery life.
I'll probably buy first gen, then skip generation two, and upgrade to generation three -- even better battery life and capabilities you aren't even imagining.

----------

A more appropriate topic is: There are more iPhone 6/6 plus owners will not buy apple watch than those that will by one.

When you toss out the maybe from the equation for being a tossed up, you end up having way more owners that will not buy it.
Yes, the millions of savvy iPhone 6/6 plus owners who will buy the Apple Watch are a more exclusive club than the throngs who will not.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
A big "NO" here! I mean who wears watches anymore. I haven't in decades. Don't plan to start either.
I am curious tho, as to how long this will last? Latest Fad?? I may be wrong here but I can't see a whole lot of people buying this, especially when you need an iPhone for it to work.
Well, unless it eventually becomes a stand alone piece, meaning no iPhone required. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.