Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has signed deals with Sprint and T-Mobile that will allow it to sell wireless service directly to consumers, reports The Wall Street Journal, adding to a report released by The Information earlier today. The publication's sources suggest that Google's entry into the wireless service industry may be part of an effort to persuade carriers to bolster speeds and cut down on pricing. Positioning itself as a wireless carrier is also part of Google's larger effort to provide better Internet coverage across the United States.

google-logo-flat.png
Currently, there are four major carriers in the United States: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, and while T-Mobile has made efforts to shake up the wireless industry with its Un-Carrier initiatives, wireless service in the United States remains much pricier than in other countries, with subscribers getting less data for more money.

Details on how Google will offer wireless service, its cost, or when it will launch are not known, but like the rollout of its Google Fiber broadband internet service, Google-branded wireless service could launch in a limited number of cities to begin with.
Sprint, of Overland Park, Kan., is the third-largest wireless carrier, while T-Mobile, of Bellevue, Wash., ranks fourth. Under separate agreements with each carrier, Google will resell service on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks, according to people familiar with the plans. Such wholesale agreements are common, essentially allowing sellers such as Google to pitch wireless service under their own brand names.
As it will operate as an MVNO, or mobile virtual network operator, Google will not need to build out the infrastructure for its own wireless network, instead providing T-Mobile or Sprint service that's controlled by and sold through Google. Other well-known MVNO's include Boost Mobile, FreedomPop, and Straight Talk.

In the past, there have been rumors and speculation suggesting that Apple too would take on the role of a mobile carrier, selling service directly to consumers, but Apple has not made any moves in that direction. In fact, in 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple did not need to own a carrier or provide its own wireless service, stating that the company would be better off focusing its efforts on making great devices than attempting to get into a market out of its area of expertise.

Article Link: Google Inks Deal With Sprint, T-Mobile to Become Wireless Carrier

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Yes, I'll take monopoly with a side of world domination, please.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Like seeing that scene in Scarface where the Zeppelin goes by with the illuminated letters reading, "The world is yours."

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Google bought into the two carriers that have the worst U.S. coverage. I wonder if part of their deal will be to use their technology to expand their coverage (whether its floating balloons or whatever). Obviously, Sprint and T-Mobile haven't built out as many towers as AT&T and Verizon. Maybe this is one way to fix that in a more innovative way.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
More Data for the Big G

I suspect it is also a way for them to collect more information about your telephone calls to tie to your Google ID. Do you really want all information on your telecommunications, internet access, advertising response, and purchases held by one company? Who needs the NSA to collect all that information when you willingly give it to a single company that has to comply with secret-court-order demands for your records?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Some day apple and google will take over the world....With all of their innovations :D

henryaaron

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
New York
Crap carrier + crap carrier = giant crap carrier

Prices are the best, but why pay for something that doesn't work? (at least for me)

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
This is awesome. Google will drive competition; hardcore. They'll introduce features others such as StraightTalk, Boost Mobile, etc. do not offer. With competitive pricing!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Google bought into the two carriers that have the worst U.S. coverage. I wonder if part of their deal will be to use their technology to expand their coverage (whether its floating balloons or whatever). Obviously, Sprint and T-Mobile haven't built out as many towers as AT&T and Verizon. Maybe this is one way to fix that in a more innovative way.

21st century, time when data speeds matters instead of coverage

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Makes sense. The more ubiquitous and cheaper it is to get onto the Internet, the more eyeballs there will be for selling ads.

Google doesn't even have to win; they just need to threaten carriers and ISPs enough to drive down prices.

Of course, some will view it as Google being altruistic/not being evil. :rolleyes:

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012

Idk what your talking about but I have had better coverage and speeds with tmobile then I did with Verizon

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
With Sprint Google Voice integration who didn't see this coming..

Maybe they'll actually fix my hangouts integration now, as I am still unable to reliably receive my texts/calls unless I'm connected to wifi. Yes, data doesn't seem to cooperate, and that is why I disabled it, tho I still want to be able to get my texts and calls on my tablet and computer.

/rant

Too late, next upgrade I'm getting another iPhone and swapping my tablet for an iPad...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
21st century, time when data speeds matters instead of coverage

It's not an either/or situation... data speed is related to coverage.

You'll have good data speeds if you're in an area with good coverage.

But if you're nowhere near a tower... you're gonna have a bad time.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Here we go again. So just like Google did when they introduced their first phone, expect cheap wireless service with cheap outsourced support by e-mail, maybe phone if they decide to pay a few extra pennies. Like they say you get what you pay for!

-Mike

----------

But combined....?

Gary

Combined they will have ****** coverage still lol

-Mike

----------

Crap carrier + crap carrier = giant crap carrier

Prices are the best, but why pay for something that doesn't work? (at least for me)

Couldn't agree more! Google is just using this for their own advantage, so they can spy on your even more!

-Mike

----------

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Google has signed deals with Sprint and T-Mobile that will allow it to sell wireless service directly to consumers, reports The Wall Street Journal, adding to a report released by The Information earlier today. The publication's sources suggest that Google's entry into the wireless service industry may be part of an effort to persuade carriers to bolster speeds and cut down on pricing. Positioning itself as a wireless carrier is also part of Google's larger effort to provide better Internet coverage across the United States.

Currently, there are four major carriers in the United States: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, and while T-Mobile has made efforts to shake up the wireless industry with its Un-Carrier initiatives, wireless service in the United States remains much pricier than in other countries, with subscribers getting less data for more money.

Details on how Google will offer wireless service, its cost, or when it will launch are not known, but like the rollout of its Google Fiber broadband internet service, Google-branded wireless service could launch in a limited number of cities to begin with.As it will operate as an MVNO, or mobile virtual network operator, Google will not need to build out the infrastructure for its own wireless network, instead providing T-Mobile or Sprint service that's controlled by and sold through Google. Other well-known MVNO's include Boost Mobile, FreedomPop, and Straight Talk.

In the past, there have been rumors and speculation suggesting that Apple too would take on the role of a mobile carrier, selling service directly to consumers, but Apple has not made any moves in that direction. In fact, in 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple did not need to own a carrier or provide its own wireless service, stating that the company would be better off focusing its efforts on making great devices than attempting to get into a market out of its area of expertise.

Article Link: Google Inks Deal With Sprint, T-Mobile to Become Wireless Carrier

Sprint and Tmobile need the cash so for them this is awesome, they are laughing all the way to the bank!

-Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.